Complacency

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by 47MartialMan, Jun 29, 2015.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Complacency

Defined as:

1.) A feeling of contentment or self-satisfaction, especially when coupled with an
    unawareness of danger, trouble, or controversy.

2.) An instance of contented self-satisfaction.

Synonyms:

contentment, satisfaction, sense of security, smugness, good feeling; ease, abundance, alleviation, amenity, assuagement, bed of roses, cheer, cheerfulness, complacency, contentment, convenience, coziness, creature comforts, enjoyment, exhilaration, facility, gratification, happiness, luxury, opulence, peacefulness, pleasure, plenty, poise, quiet, relaxation, relief, repose, rest, restfulness, satisfaction, snugness, succor, sufficiency, warmth, well-being

Complacency has a fine line or gray area if it is in too much abundance, thus it could be synonymous with:

conceit, egotism amour-propre, arrogance, complacence, consequence, immodesty, narcissism, outrecuidance, pomposity, pride, self-admiration, self-conceit, self-exaltation, self-importance, self-love, self-regard, smugness, snootiness, stuffiness, swagger, swelled head, vainglory, vainness, vanity

“Complacency is a state of mind that exists only in retrospective: It has to be shattered before being ascertained.” Vladimir Nabokov

Complacency has to be understood within human parameters. Using human experiences to form our aptitude, complacency is rooted within a psychological prejudice. The intellectual study to obtain and process information is decreased by a sense of ardent exposure and dedication beyond acceptance. Almost, to a point of denial. As suggested within the theory of Ying-Yang, complacency has to be balanced and implicit, in order to not favor in one direction or the other. Per its first definition; A feeling of contentment or self-satisfaction, especially when coupled with an unawareness of danger, trouble, or controversy. Complacency becomes a problem when one categorically dismisses any notion from a subconscious verse; “It won’t happen to me” or “I am ready for anything.”

A good example is from a scene in the Bruce Lee movie, Enter the Dragon;

Han: “We are all ready to win, just as we are born knowing only life. It is defeat that you
    must learn to prepare for.”

Williams: Don't waste my time with it. When it comes, I won't even notice.

Han: Oh? How so?

Williams: I'll be too busy looking gooood.

Could it be that training in a martial art be also considered as a type of insurance, something we may have to use, and not for a if something should happen”, but “when something could happen”. And like insurance, there is no guarantee that we are fully protected in the sense of self-preservation.

As a martial artist, we train and prepare, at least most do, for the actual “moment of truth”. In some real situations, some martial artists fair or do well. (I read and hear from many martial artists on how well they have done in a real situation, and rarely do I hear someone stating that they did poorly, or lower than expected.)

But, does this give us total assurance that upon each situation, we can rely on our skill sets, each, and every time?

Do we in modern society, have a realistic need for martial arts?

What would that need(s) be?

What is your response or thought upon this thread?

2. VoidKarateka

VoidKarateka Valued Member

Total assurance? I don't think so. But definitely a skillset that (providing it has been drilled and ingrained into an individual) can be employed should a need arise. Besides that there are also the considerations of heightened situational awareness and improved physique mean you're less likely to end up in a position of personal danger.
    In a purely martial sense. Do soldiers trained in any military in the world have a 100% assurance of victory in battle?
    I've personally looked at martial arts as being more of an 'extra dice roll'. Stacking the odds a little more in your favour.

Do we in modern society have a need for martial arts? I have no clue. I personally don't know anything else than to be a martial artist. It's seeped into the very core of who and what I am. I've had a my fair share of encounters where I've had to hurt someone to protect myself (I've had my share of stepping in for my mates and during those wonderful teen years just plainly having an ego problem and picking fights). So to me martial arts has been useful. I think violence in society is a constant threat, until violent crime and threats of physical violence can be completely eradicated I think there is a place for martial arts.

Besides that people train martial arts for many different reasons. For some it's a hobby, others a competitive sport. Some people are drawn to learning about different cultures and others still seek esoteric nature within martial arts. There's history and culture aplenty in many martial arts. A key word there is 'culture'. Martial arts are embedded into almost every culture in the world. I'm not just talking TMAs either. Take MMA for example, the sport has sort of grown it's own culture over the years and it continues to evolve and become more mainstream.

I think as long as there's people there will be martial arts, in some form or other.