Competition tips?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by r34.david, Jul 4, 2012.

1. r34.david

r34.david Valued Member

Im competing on sundays and getting a lot more nervous then my first competition!

Trying to stay calm however i feel like i have to live up to my standard and get the gold medal

trying to stay focused any tips?

2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Put a lemon peel in your mouth when you compete. The chewing tobacoo may work but I have never tried it.

You need to have a "plan'. Try to stick to your plan and don't change it (You may change it after tournament if it doesn't work).

Offense is the best defense.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  3. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

1. Eat a a banana and an apple about a half hour beforehand - This makes sure you have a good blood sugar level for energy and potassium in your system so your muscles don't cramp. The food will be about half digested after a half hour. You won't be so full that you're impaired nor so hungry you're impaired.

2. Play some high speed video games - the first version of unreal tournament is perfect for this. You can ramp up the speed to 200%. It will teach you to really relax under high speed and high pressure.

3. Have a ritual - For university exams I tie a yellow bandana around my head. When your thoughts are stormy your little ritual will be a rock and and island in the middle of it. Do something the same before every competition whether it's listening to the same song every time, playing your instrument of choice, or whatever. Just do it the same. It will give you a point of focus and concentration.

4. Learn to play music in your head - You know when you get music stuck playing in your head? You can do it on purpose. Pick that song you know well. You know the one that makes you feel like a boss? It's hard not to feel awesome when you have Kashmir or Sympathy for the Devil playing between your ears.

5. Develop a competition mindset - One of the reasons for the ritual, the same music, the headband is to enable you to slip into a more combative attitude. When you walk into the ring you should look and feel like you're going to eat your opponent.

4. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Some good advice given, but the most important advice you can take is that from your trainer also. Listen to what he says and have trust in him otherwise it is all a waste of time. :)

5. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

hit him more than he hits you ;)

6. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

7. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

Good luck

8. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Start kicking when the bout starts and don't stop until the ref stops you.

9. finite monkey

Do remember to box also!

10. r34.david

r34.david Valued Member

Thanks for the advice guys :) Came third. Got a shot at the british points title.

11. finite monkey

12. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

Skyrim theme...

NUZ AN SOL!
    Kick
    FENTA LOK

Punch

FOD VIN SUL

Clinch

DOVAH NOK!

Finishing knee.

13. Unreal Combat

Just remember to....

FUS... RO... DAH!!!!!!!

14. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

As someone who's been in over 100 competitions, you'll learn from every match win or lose. Just keep looking forward and the more comps you compete in the better you'll get. One of the two main reasons I quit was due to a knee injury. Its a young person's game.

15. Unreal Combat

Are you trying to call me old? :D

16. finite monkey

If you can get the fights video'd you can realy learn from the footage, and if you post them on MAP the more experianced MAPppers are realy generous with help and advice

17. ammieleigh

ammieleigh New Member

relax and breathe. be well rested and eat well. Good luck!!!

18. Unreal Combat

Watching videos of your opponents fights are a good idea aswell.

19. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You will need to have plan. In the following clip, the guy used the same combo twice successfully within 15 seconds. That's pre-plan and not just luck.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_krfr2l-TCU"]Sanshou 6 - YouTube[/ame]