Competition Kenpo

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Pacificshore, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

2. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Actually, I helped that guy's company with some search engine optimization advice for a new web site they are working on a few months back and they gave me the full set of DVD's for the help. It's actually a spin off of Ed Parkers Kenpo near as I can tell.

I am not fluent in Parker's, as I train a modified Tracy/Traco type of system, but it appears to be a Parker style. I use those DVD's when at home to practice to. It goes through stuff fast enough where it's actually a decent little down-night cardio workout...plus, I have learned a few techniques that my system doesn't have...

3. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

Hmmm

I only know Mr. Sasaki from his tournament performances... He used to win the self-defense division alot back in the day...

I am unclear on his lineage but I am not a big fan of "DVD learning" for a beginner, at least not Martial Arts on DVD, maybe belly dancing on DVD or something... :D

I practice yoga via VHS but then again I probably won't use it to defend myself or my family...

4. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I would have to say that I’m not a big fan of it. It could possibly work OK for learning basic movements, but techniques like locks and throws are difficult to learn in class with an instructor that can give you feedback and another student to practice with. How do you learn timing, body positioning and reading your opponent by DVD. These aspects are vital if you need to apply any technique in real life.

I have some DVD’s, Shorinji Kempo do not have many of these sorts of training resources. They are good for the revision of something you have learned earlier, or showing people what it is you do, as most people in Australia have not heard of Shorinji Kempo. I have used them as a marketing device by playing them on my lap top at various functions, this has helped to create a mental image of Shorinji Kempo and enabled people to better understand how we are different from other arts they may have seen before.

I work as a teacher in a Technical College. In general I have found audiovisual education to be a good supplement to live teaching, but I have yet to see a product that can get anywhere near the same results without the teacher, even when they are designed specifically for this.

5. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

I guess I need to put away my Kara Ho training DVDs now...

6. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

Did you use them as a sole learning device or a supplement to regular training?

7. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Oh, I agree, if I hadn't already had Kenpo training, and knew the stances and basic concepts, the DVD's wouldn't do anything for me except make me think I am learning something...there is no attention to detail from a DVD. However, for something to practice to in the basement, at a decent cardio pace, I think it's great.

I won't be quiting my regular in-gym classes any time soon though...

8. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

I'm sorry, I was being facetious. DianHsuhe and PacificShore are two of my instructors, so I figured I'd insert some satire.

Aside from some very basic books, I'm unaware of any Kara Ho Instructional DVDs...and I believe that Grandmaster Kuoha would never allow something like "Video Grading" to ever take place.

I do have a library of various books and such, but to try and learn martial arts from a book without proper instruction is like attempting to defuse a bomb from watching CSI.

9. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

Damn it, I was banking on that working. I’ll have start watching NCIS now.

10. dianhsuhe

Aw crud...

Whoa, whoa! You mean I should stop using my CSI knowledge to help save others? :bang:

There are no instructional videos in Kara-Ho Kempo only a "History" tape and a special from "Budo", the Budo one does show a few of our techniques but is not designed as a teaching aid of those techniques- Just an overview of our system...

Nicksan- My schedule is jacked I work until 7PM Mon-Fri. but anytime anywhere you wanna work out, let me know! (Carport, garage, walk in closet?)

Take care,
    James

11. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

We've been defeated by the terrible foe of...occupation! NO!

As you know, I'm also struggling in that department. Once things calm down, we seriously need to train.

I also never considered "Closet Combat" as a form of scenario training. You'll never know when you'll be ambushed by someone while in a walk in closet...

12. Red J

Red J New Member

Or you can just stick to McGyver reruns. :)

I watched the ESPN clips. To quote the dawg, "It was just ahhiiite for me." :D

13. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

Ok, I just watched the videos.

Did anyone else think that was quite possibly the laziest demo of multiple aggressor self defense? I'm sure there are some amazing martial artists within that system, but I expected a much crisper, aggressive, and technical display from a televised demo.

Maybe Mr. Sasaki has some injuries that I'm unaware of. Or maybe he was moving faster than my eyes could register....

14. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

That's what I thought, and I had seen some of his earlier competitions at the Long Beach tournament, and his SD routine was way better then....or course he was also way younger ;) :p

15. dianhsuhe

Yup

Pacificshore- That is exactly what I was referring to--- His old SD routines (early 90's for me)-
    We probably crossed paths back then :D

Cheers!

16. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Can you believe to this day, I'm still trying to find the time to put all my stuff onto DVD :bang: I better do it soon too because the spring has sprung from this chicken :eek: :p

17. Red J

Red J New Member

Hurry! :eek: We could sell it on EBAY, make a fortune and I could run your East Coast operations. I would change my name to Atlanticshore.....then we could look forward to world domination. :D

Sorry, I got all excited thinking about the possibilities. :cool:

18. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Hmm, you may have something going Red :p :woo: