Competing in thai boxing

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by _sam_, Feb 16, 2011.

1. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

If i decide to compete, how long should i wait/train before i do? I had over a 100 amateur fights as a boxer, many of these while in the army so i'm fairly experienced in that respect, and i know this decision is probably best left up to my coach to decide, but i'm just curious as i enjoy the training and i'm definately getting the urge to fight.

Cheers lads,

Sam

2. liero

liero Valued Member

Tell your coach you want to fight and ask how long.

Having 100 ammy boxing fights is absolutly an advantage! But that being said they are different sports. How are you coping with the transition?

3. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

With that background i'd say as soon as you feel comfortable with the idea.

4. ThaiNinja

ThaiNinja Valued Member

Just out of interest what would you guys estimate for a beginner?

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

O/P, no reason why you can't fight but how's your stance? Still leaving that lead leg out?

ThaiNinja, anything from a few weeks to a few months depending on the person??

6. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

8 months to a year of regular training for the first amateur fight, IME.

It's really the match making that can mess things up. You get someone like the OP who is not a true beginner. At 100 amatuer boxing fights he is going to come in to a match claiming say 8 months of Muay Thai training but he is going to most likely completely out match a beginner with only 8 months training in the same weight class.

On the other hand, after 100 amateur fights, I'm assuming the OP might be getting older and coming into Muay Thai might be different enough that he isn't going to equivalent of someone with many years of Muay Thai fighting under their belt.

Getting a good even match up for the first fight is ideal but can be very difficult. The OP might get a good match and then they find out that he has 100 amatuer fights as a boxer and then his opponent will bail out before fight day.

The rule then becomes when you are ready AND when you can get a match.

7. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

I was also curious about the length of time a beginner must wait before setting up a fight. I am definitely interested in competing but don't want to rush things. I only have a few MT lessons under my belt and the coach told me most folks are asked to wait for about 3-4 months before they are allowed to spar ( full contact but not 100% power ). I guess it depends on experience and fitness level.

8. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

Cheers mate. And not too bad to be honest, ive a few area's i need to work on but ive only been at it for a few months and keep sneaking off to the boxing gym here and there which probably isn't helping but i need my boxing fix now and then ;)

9. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

A little mate yeah haha but getting better. I keep getting told off for not watching my head too when i bull in close. Old habits. But as i say, ive still a few little probs to iron out so was thinking of another 3 to 6 months yet then have a few fights for the experience etc.

10. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

Yeah i'm 36 mate, but a young 36 haha. I see your point about maybe having trouble getting fights withmy background, and also with facing a guy with more muay thai experience,so figure i'll wait a few more months yet and see what happens from there.

11. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

Yeah the new club ive just started training at has a specific day fo sparring and its invite only and you have to be graded too. Seeing as i missed my first grading at my las club ue to an injury and have just changed clubs it looks like i'll be waiting a while yet befre i ca spar so will be doing all my sparring at the boxing gym for now, again its not ideal ifi want to compete in muay thai.

12. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

See if you can do a couple of interclubs. Where you from?

13. ChangNam

ChangNam Valued Member

I not agree to this. When i come here to Thailand. Did i train 3 weeks before i had my first fight.. I have done Karate,Taekwondo,Kickboxing and Shootfighting from before. With only 3 Kickboxing matches..

U have 100 fights all ready. So what are u waiting fore ??

Some peoples not have the heart to step in to the ring. And i respect and understand that. Because we are all different. But it takes heart to fight. And to me it seams like u have that..

Know boxing and Thai is not the same. But u will have a huge in vantage with ur boxing. Keep ur guard tight and high. Step in to the ring and think about blocking low kick. And counter punch or kick back. Maybe sounds easy. All i try to say is that u have nothing to wait for.

I had my fight after only 3 weeks. And the match up was not fair to me. I did loose on points after round 5. But i was happy anyway. I did fight with a elder Thai guy with a long background. In round 2-3 did him take out my legs. And i was limping for 6 weeks after the fight. Never mind thats how it is. If we not block them low kicks. Or do a front kick/thip when them kicks. Almost all Thai boxers steping in when kick. Then u just block or thip to get him away.

I did learn so allot from my first fight. And i want to make a statement. 3 min x 5 rounds is 15 minutes. And 15 minutes in that ring. Will give u more then if u had been to the gym 6 days a week for 4 weeks. Not know if some of u guys agree to this ???

U can do sparring but anyway u will not do 100% with ur sparring partner. So a real fight will never be the same. U will learn so much more from the fight. What to do,not to do,move,block and much more. But finding the distance and get ring experience in important..

Good luck and wish u the best of luck from Thailand !! :hat:

14. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Because of your unique situation, I actually said:

So there is no set time for your first match. It is more about when you can get a match as the match making may be difficult. You might end up having to fight someone from your own school to get a match quickly. We've done that, where we set up fights between friends because of the lack of other opponents or because other opponents dropped out last minute.

We have had a few fighters with previous training come in and fight fairly quickly. In one case he was just using us for a place to train but had been training elsewhere for a few years. It is good experience.

However, it can take a while before a fighter actually does represent the training from their current teachers. Most that fight very quickly go into the ring and end up just using what they already know from previous training. We had one fighter go in after a month or so of training with us and in the ring he forgot everything and reverted to his previous training. Good experience for him getting in the ring, but I suspect if you end up getting a fight quickly, you will revert to your boxing training and not really use much Muay Thai in the ring. This isn't a bad thing, but it really doesn't show how you have progressed in Muay Thai. IMHO.