Comp prep.

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by liero, Aug 2, 2015.

1. liero

liero Valued Member

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1074945471#post1074945471

I feel an inconsistency in my training.

I want to fight in 8 weeks.

I need accountability.

Here I am!

Getting the training in is goal number one.

Number two is eating clean and healthily. I will post a diet plan as I update.

Number three is protecting my physical health. I want to see a doctor because I am eating more than I ever have, and good food, but I feel that my energy is out of sorts. It could be gut health, or something else.

Diet should also include my point to dramatically reduce alcohol consumption. I want to boost water consumption as well.

After the health checkup from the GP I will discuss supplements. I was thinking a creatine cycle could be useful- Protein shakes make good breakfast!

Part of the healthy lifestyle carry over should be to help my fledging university studies. It may be hard to maintain as much of a soclal life over the next 8 weeks, we will see what happens.

If you read this, It's before october 2015 and it's not being posted on at minimum every 2 days without notice...Put a terrible song from youtube or something to remind me to get back to training and consistency!

2. liero

liero Valued Member

Weeks 1-4

M- Light jog to industrial car park (Wu), warmup (mobility). Tempo interval stair sprints
    3 x 7 minute rounds. Increasing by 1x 7 minute round each week. Up to 7x7min. Cool down.

T- Gym- Power focus. 2 Main lifts
    Power Clean, Push Press. 3 reps 5 sets.
    Auxillary
    Weighted Pullup, Weighted Dip, Plyo Pushup
    Maybe slightly higher reps.

W- Mobility work, skipping, explosive variations of bodyweight activities, shadow sparring. Goal. 45-60 mins moving up to 90 mins by the end of the 4 weeks.

T- Taekwondo sparring with focus on long rounds (fitness improvements) - 60 mins

F- AM- Outdoor taekwondo: Sprints and speedkicks (60 mins up to 90 mins)
    PM- Running intervals or skipping (same tempo as monday?). Stretch/Mobility/Slow kicks. (optional session).

S- Taekwondo sparring (every week)

S- yoga, recovery. (Massage?)

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Seems good basic plan.

As the weeks go by, you will see what you need to work on and make the appropriate adjustments. That's also considering shifting training plans for the day.

8 weeks is a long camp, so maybe expect to have top intensity within weeks 5 or 6?

Good luck.

What's your weight?

4. liero

liero Valued Member

It's definately a very broad template to work from. But I think the conditioning focus is appropriate. I will get more sport specific as the comp draws closer. Most of my sessions are solo at the moment, I'd like a few more training partners over the coming weeks so heavy bag sessions can become padwork sessions working on my game plan for the comp.

I completed the 3x7 min stairs workout today. had 3 minute breaks where I did some light stretching between.

I was told a long time ago that if you wanted to see how to improve your conditioning go for a run and see what gives out first, legs or lungs.

The good news is there isn't much of an imbalance, they gave out at the same time.

The bad news, they both gave out very quickly.

It's not unexpected. I have not done too much conditioning training in the last 8 months. And I threw a birthday party last night.

The things I'm happy about is that I got the session started and know I can just put the work in and things WILL improve very quickly over the coming two weeks or so.

I also did the session in the morning before work, something which I had not really done in the past. As my work capacity improves I may try to include more morning sessions, but given my lack of conditioning I dont want to start double session days and not be able to recover properly and burn out.

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

What are the stair workouts looking to accomplish and are you basically running up the stairs and back for 7 minute rounds?

6. liero

liero Valued Member

Stairs are used as an old school TKD conditioning (and Im sure many other martial art) activity.

We basically spend the whole fight kicking or using flashy footwork. So the action of lifting the knees really high to get up the stairs as fast as possible does mirror a lot of the TKD action.

Yesterday I just ran up the seven levels, first one step at a time, then two, then three and repeated until the clock ran out. Running down just one at a time.

When I actually feel fitter (maybe in the second 4 week block, hopefully earlier) the stair work more closely mirrors kicking. High knee lifts up the stair case, running kick actions up the stairs, even combinations using knee lifts and moving up and down the stair case to simulate different footwork or kicking combinations. It's like a little plyometric/power activity every step, and involves a lot of co-ordination.

Conditioning wise, it's one of those exercises like hill sprints that simulates the "oh god let it be over" feeling that I get in the late seconds of a fight. For this reason I find it useful during comp prep to build mental strength.

7. liero

liero Valued Member

Good training week all considered.

Monday: Stairs (see earlier post)

Tuesday:

Power workout.

Warmup. Skipping 10 minutes. Mobility (shoulders) with wooden bar. Lunge Variations (sets of 8-10 of each).

Worksets.
    Power Cleans. bar X 5, 40 kgx3, 60kg x 3 reps 5 sets.
    Pullups/Dips/Clap Push up. Completed each exercise for 5 sets of three reps and moved on to the next one, 30-50 second breaks. Focus was on being as explosive in each movement as possible.
    Left out push press as strapped for time. Will do next week.

(less than one hour)

Wednesday
    As I completed both activities and had a full day of training (sit down lecture) at work, I was quite tired stiff and sore. I had a full day off on Thursday so decided to do the cardio work on Thursday morning.

Thursday
    AM: 60 minutes of conditioning
    10 mins: Mobility, lunges, squats
    10 mins: Exercise bikes
    15 mins: Skipping
    10 mins: Ab work (core- planks, situps)
    5 mins: Upper body (shoulder) light dumbel complex (recovery for lower body- aesthetics)
    5 mins: Dynamic stretching
    5 mins: Bagwork
    10: mins cool down and stretch

PM: My TKD Class
    I teach once per week and have a small group that I have been developing over the last 5 months or so towards a comp which is a week before mine. We have started a chest guards training phase for four weeks. Warm up was footwork, dynamic stretching and sparring drills. Then all gear on working on chest guard drills focusing on volume of kicks, we finished up with sparring. There were a few new people there who struggled with the volume so I know that I am putting people through their paces in the 70 minutes or so that we have the training hall for.

Friday
    This was the hardest training session this week.
    Me and my training partner completed a warm up then did speed kicking drills across the short ends of a rugby field, 6 sets total (back leg turning, front leg turning, back leg x2 each side, back leg- other leg face, double back leg, double front leg, front leg turning then axe same leg). We then completed some sets of combo kicks 3 sets, three kicks for three reps each side. 3 combo's total.

The first exercise is purely to build the stamina to kick and kick and kick. As the 4 weeks progress the drills will become less non-stop kicking for stamina and more focussed on developing strategy and skills for 3x2 minute rounds that the TKD format is.

(40 minutes work time)

PM: Did not do optional session, it's week one and I don't want to burn myself out.

Saturday

Sparring training (About 70 minutes)
    8-10 1.5 minute rounds warming up.
    Conditioning drills.
    5x10 back leg kicks
    5x6 back leg fact
    5x6 axe kick
    Pyramids moving forward and back. 2 kicks - 10 kicks (goes up by 2 each time) 3 sets of pyramids.

By then I was pretty wrecked...

Sparring 1 fight with daedo electronic scoring system.

I was strong in my sparring and scored three very good axe kicks, a kick which has been working well for me lately. I scored about 5-7 points on the daedo system, one a spinning back kick, the others just single turning kicks to the body.

I'm happy with my mental strength right now to push through extreme tiredness and perform. My style is quite "old school" taekwondo, lots of back leg turning kicks and doubles/triples.

Because my conditioning was not so great I spent a lot of the fight engaging and then trying to slow the fight down by jamming into the clinch and wasting time. This is not a useful strategy in the modern taekwondo because it's easy to meet a quick counter to the face that just touches.

Over the next week I will focus more on developing my "out" game in sparring. That is hitting and moving out for more kicks or just angling off after an exchange, rather than jamming up.

If I do decide to jam up I would like to follow up with a close range attack.

Basically as I get fitter I want to engage in more action in my fighting.

There is a comp in 3 weeks which I am tossing up doing. I wont be in my best state fitness wise, but it might help me get ready for the national competition.

What are people's thoughts around doing a "warmup comp"?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  8. liero

liero Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG5GOH2CO1k"]The Rolling Stones - You Can't Always Get What You Want [HD] - YouTube[/ame]

I fought at one of my scheduled competitions.

I won the Australian University Games outright in the -80kg Male Black Belt division. The comp was last week. I have never won this competition before (have competed 3 times before this). I had knocked out opponents at 2 of the 3 previous uni games comps. While I did not get any K.O's I beat 2 individuals by 12 point difference, enacting the stoppage rule at the end of the 2nd of 3 rounds. I then won my third and final fight 14-16 (I think) strategically dominating my opponent but making several errors which might have injured me against a more experienced opponent. My fitness let me down. A positive is choosing to fight in the higher weight division, the -80kg compared to -68kg division.

Life has gotten in the way of fighting at the Australian National Taekwondo Championships. Part of this is my inadequate preperation for the competition (evidenced by my poor log). I decided there are more important priorities (university, family, work). I deicided to withdraw from the TKD national championships. I based this decision on becoming ill the week before the AUG's (last week) and also based on my subjective experience of the competition last weekend and feeling unprepared for the comp. This decision let down my training partners, but in the long run may be for the best. I only want to fight when I am 100% confident of my ability to beat my opposition from now on.

With all this in mind, my withdrawal from nationals which are this week was also based on an injury sustained from the uni games comp. It was a wrong decision to fight at 2 comps a week seperated. I also don't feel 100% confident with my conditioning.

My new training goals are to complete adequate technical TKD training to finish grading for my 4th dan in taekwondo in early 2016. I am opening a club with 2 friends and my name will be put down as the head instructor. I will be grading individuals from white belt through to black belt. To be able to do this I need to refresh the traditional taekwondo syllabus and perform all the actions, teach them, and evaluate the learning of others.

I am not sure of my competition goals, but technical improvement in TKD will carry through with any tournament outcomes in TKD. I want to train 3x per week with resistance to improve overall muscular condition. My next competition goal is the 2016 national championships (approx 12 months away). the 2016 NSW state championships and maybe a major international competition will also be highlighted in time. Representation on the Olympic Squad, as the secondary team member or national team would also be positive.

My fitness goals are to train in the Gym 3x per week with resistance, to expose myself to other martial arts concepts to add to the TKD syllabus which will be developed in the next few months. Furthermore, I need to refresh basic WTF concepts to apply them for my 4th dan grading and upcoming instructor responsibilities.

Training Plan:

Bodybuilding.com have 19, 3-day per week programs that are selected on their programs list. I will complete one cycle of each set of workouts. In the ideal situation these workouts will be completed 3 sessions per week and I will complete all the workouts by February. The perfect world does not always occur. Going workout 1-3, and then working through the 19 cycles will be more important than changing each program week to week.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/3day.htm

While I complete these programs to ensure my overall strength development I will complete technical TKD training once per week to prepare for my 4th dan grading. Specifically I will seek to revise my poomsae and other traditional technical forms which will be required for the taekwondo grading.

To become a 4th dan "master" in taekwondo means a lot to me. But I recognize the styles limitations to providing wholistic self defense skills to martial artists. While completing the 19 week body building program I will endeavour to refresh my skills in other martial arts to inform the syllabus development of my new school. Accross the 19 weeks I will attend a minimum of one "free trial session" for local schools per fortnight, refreshing my varied martial arts training. This will mean a minimum of 9 sessions in different martial arts.

Arts I have included as a must train include: Krav Maga, Karate, Judo, Bjj, MMA, Aikido (for Koyo).

I may not be able to provide session by session reviews but I will try to be more accountable than I was for my comp preperation because the goals are more interesting and variable.

9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Congrats on getting in there and having your arm raised!

10. liero

liero Valued Member

Thanks Mushroom. I think some of my students filmed the matches. I'll upload them.

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Well done on the win and good luck for opening the school :)

Mitch

12. liero

liero Valued Member

Here's the AUG comp videos, certainly not my best performances as I already mentioned.

In Blue

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIS-p1CuHI4&list=PLbpYF6IivXyb3k5lR-FskH_WTeahf1Ip9&index=9"]Magee 1 - YouTube[/ame]

In Blue

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkK8SiKZZ5o&list=PLbpYF6IivXyb3k5lR-FskH_WTeahf1Ip9&index=10"]Magee 2 - YouTube[/ame]

In Red

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZziynvLUYk&list=PLbpYF6IivXyb3k5lR-FskH_WTeahf1Ip9&index=11"]Magee 3 - YouTube[/ame]

There were some overzealous students that I was coaching. I told them off for some of the cheering as bad sportsmanship, but they didn't listen :s

Anyway. Progress.

I have worked my way through the first 5 weeks of the bodybuilding.com three day per week program list. That it's taken 8 weeks to do this shows my dedication to training is not very high.

I have done a 6-7 km run most weeks since then as well, which has been nice to develop some cardio.

As far as technical training. I did 2 separate sessions focussing on Tile breaking, and one session focussing on the 1st black belt poomsae Koryo.

I also did a session where I worked through my colour belt syllabus and was practising both the striking techniques/combos for each belt grade as well as the relavant poomsae, this was at the beginning of the 8 week cycle. I gassed out after about 45 minutes.

I have yet to start doing the cross training in other martial arts.

So totals for 8 weeks.

Gym Sessions: 14
    Running 6km+: 5
    Taekwondo Skills : 4
    Hip mobility: 4

27 sessions in 8 weeks is just over 3 sessions per week.

So while I have been relatively consistent in the gym, other priorities have gotten ahead of me stopping me from doing the traditional training. I recently started a new job working at a national sport institute and I have access to their gym at lunch time, this means I can do a few extra workouts per week. Which is good.

I also decided my program needs to address my hip pain. the routine for which is here.

So the goals for the next 4 week cycle leading up to Xmass.

1. Work through 3-4 weeks of the body building program
    2. Do hip mobility/strength exercises 3x week
    3. With my 3 days at the new job, spend a day on pure strength, one doing HIIT training, and one day of swimming to increase cardio capacity (and all of these are for the improvement in the summer bod)
    4. Do the traditional work either in a class on Monday or Wednesday at the TKD club I teach at, or at home, once per week.
    5. If I have time, do a cross training session, there is a good kickboxing class at my local gym that I can start with.

This is a much higher level of training than I am doing at the moment, it's not such an issue because I will be reducing from full time work to 3 days per week due to my new job.

Timeline will be
    Strength: 3-4 sessions per week
    Cardio: 1-3 sessions per week (HIIT, Swim, Light run with friends)
    Hip Work: Built into strength or cardio
    Taekwondo: 1 session/week traditional, My class on a Thursday

Thats 5 sessions a week at lowest (not including my teaching class) or 9 sessions maximum (including the class).

Diet will be important here. I hope to start tracking calories.

Lifestyle goals. I'm in a rebuild/planning phase for next year

1. Create a timeline for university study next year
    2. Start to work on university studies
    3. Prioritise TKD Comp schedule and likely grading time, I will need to complete a "provisional 4th dan grading" at my masters club to be eligible for the full grading, I believe this will be in February or March.
    4. Transition effectively into new job role.
    5. Spend time on self care (meditation, time with friends/family over the holidays)
    6. Start to address diet needs. Track calories

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  13. liero

liero Valued Member

No comp likely for 20 weeks.
    CONSIDERING national championships and the same uni games comp in August/September.

Goal review:
    1. Timeline - Complete. Doesn't leave much room for competition specific training.
    2. Ongoing, Semester ends in 3 weeks.
    3. Grading = November. Thesis = October. TKD School = ongoing procrastination.
    4. Offered extension, fitness training suitable within work schedule.
    5. Meditating/Visualisation/Positive Psychology 10-30 minutes per morning M-F on train to work.
    6. Began receiving "meal delivery" service. Which for the first time means I'm tracking my calories etc.

14. liero

liero Valued Member

Training phase: Eat clean, build the basics.
    Goals:
    Aerobic/Cardiovascular improvement
    Strength base: Long term goal = 3 primary lifts 1rep: Bench 120kg, DL 190kg, Squat 160kg
    Maintain TKD

Week ending 8th May
    M
    Gym: Squat 55kg 5x5; Bench Bench 45kg 5x5; Pullups: 5,3,5; Ab Circut.
    T
    Swim: 50m pool laps (F/B) 40 mins.
    W
    Gym: Squat 57.5kg 5x5; Overhead Press 30kg 5x5; Pullups: 5,4,3; Ab Circut.
    T
    Swim: 50m pool laps 20 mins.
    Taekwondo: Fast warmup, footwork in mirror, mobility, working front leg action, pads no.1 B/F, 3x2 min rounds padwork always opening with no.1 B/F. Caved at end (exertion 10/10).
    F
    Rest day.
    S
    Gym: Squat 60kg 5x5; Bench 50kg 5x5; Pullups: 5,4,5; Ab Circut.
    Su
    Swim: 50m pool laps (F/B/Ba) 40 mins. interspaced with 1min swim on the spot at at end of freestyle leg.

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

How's the hip mob coming along?

16. liero

liero Valued Member

Good question!

Since dropping the TKD workouts so much, focussing on deep squat form, as well as swimming instead of running, the hip is not sore during the 1x week TKD training.

That said my mobility and flexibility is greatly reduced from when I was doing 7-10 TKD sessions per week about 2 years ago. I think my kicking ability has also declined to worse than the above videos (IMO I wasn't even kicking well then!).

I got a referral for an MRI from a sports medicine specialist a few weeks ago. He said that once the MRI is completed then it will be much easier to determine if I need physio, surgery, etc. He suggested it might be a bone spurt (? My definition of his diagram) inside the hip capsule which is causing the pain and limiting mobility, he highlighted that a lot of water polo players also got this type of injury due to the similar repeated motion of kicking in water.

Either way, I know my strength as evidenced from poor DL and Squat numbers is very poor. Improving that over the coming few months, and improving the supporting core muscles through the core workout at the end of the strength session should help- Unless something is identified in the MRI that's out of my control.

17. liero

liero Valued Member

Week ending 15th May
    M
    Gym: Squat 62.5kg 5x5; Bench Bench 52.5kg 5x5; Pullups: 5,3,3; Ab Circut.
    T
    Swim: 50m pool laps (F/B) 30 mins.
    W
    Rest Day
    T
    Taekwondo: Good warmup (30 mins?), footwork 3x2mins, mobility/stretch, working front leg action, pads front leg (low/high) 3 x rounds focussing on distance, 3x2 min rounds padwork always opening with no.1 B/F (each round different distance: Long, Short, Defensive). 10x1min rds light sparring.
    Review fight videos with team
    F
    AM: Swim 25 minutes (15mins cont. Then 4 x 100m)
    PM: Indoor rockclimbing 1hr
    S
    Gym: Squat 65kg 5x3sets (knee hurt!); Bench 52.5kg 5x5; Pullups: 5,2,4; Ab Circut.
    Su
    Swim: 50m pool laps continuous for 30 minutes. 100m Free 100m Breastroke.

Diet: Less impressive this week. Did not stick to the meal plan (didn't eat enough). Drank a lot of alcohol over Friday, Saturday and Sunday!

This week plan to have a recovery day on M (assignment due)
    3x Gym, 3x Swim, 1-2 TKD,
    Eat all meal plans and add in more vegetables.
    Explore altitude training cube at work
    Max 1 day this week drinking- moderate quantity

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Have you done any work to free up space inside the hip capsule? For example, lying on your back with a band attached to your ankle, pulling away from your hip, is helpful at clearing impingements.

19. liero

liero Valued Member

To be honest, I have done very little. Lacking knowledge to improve mobility and manage my injuries has been my downfall.

Is this the type of movement you're talking about? Or is the band the wrong way around the foot?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgLd2um7Juw&feature=youtu.be"]Hamstring Drive-down - YouTube[/ame]

(First find from a google search: https://www.t-nation.com/training/break-up-those-hips-and-fix-that-squat)

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  20. liero

liero Valued Member