Comment on my video please

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Counter, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Counter

Counter Train more. Train harder.

Hi there :)

As I've told in another thread, I will be going to Korea in a little bit less than 2 weeks. Could all of you please give me some tips for sparring sessions? In the video I'm the one with the gloves and the "socks"..

I would really like to get some good comments so that I can give my all in Korea..

Fire away! ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsLBovBnh_s"]YouTube[/ame]

2. _StRiKeR_

_StRiKeR_ Valued Member

Keep your hands up. Yon don't want a foot in the face, and always look in their eyes.

3. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Definitly, keep your hands up!

Change your stance a bit more often and understand what leg to attack with:

In closed stance- Lead leg

In open- rear leg or turning kicks.

You did one turning back kick and threw few combinations before you wound up in a clinch.

Learn to fight out of the clinch rather then just raising your arms and leaning on your oppontent. Depending on how your opponent is leaning on you (you have to know whether he is leaning in or about to retreat) you can use a front leg roundhouse when your opponent is going to back out or a turning back kick if he is leaning in on you. Another tool I use from the clinch is to throw a punch or combination followed by a kick. The punches help establish distance and range.

Move more. Use angles. Bouncing without moving is just bouncing.

Hope this helps!

4. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

You're slow because of your stance. Face your opponent more, your body facing away from the opponent at only a 45 degree angle. The feeling should be that there is a tension in your hips like a coiled spring, your butt tucked under you.

Don't bounce like that, that's pointless. Just be up on your back foot.

And yes, keep your hands up.

You and your opponent were locked in a timing dance. Bounce, bounce, bounce, one guy kicks the other defends. Bounce, bounce, bounce, then the other guy attacks.

Instead, watch him: Bounce, bou--then attack like a bat out of hell, bam, sharp side kick. Break the rhthym and you'll score more points. Always shock and confuse your oppoent, don't fall into predictibility.

5. If someone kicked you while you were on the "up component" part of a bounce you would be knocked back/knocked over easily. Have you tried transferring weight from one foot to the other instead/just not bouncing/or just springing slightly in the knees?

I liked the axe kick to the face.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  6. slacker6

slacker6 New Member

Some good suggestions thus far, one I would add is use several attacks when you move in, primarily as set up if nothing else. I really like a left handed back fist followed by a double right footed roundhouse for example. Try to use more combinations when you are attacking.

On the bouncing thing...one way to deal with that is changing your approach. Rather than going in to attack, watch your opponent and let them come to you. By just staying in a ready stance, you can see tendencies and be very effective on the counter. If you do this and don't bounce, you'll save a ton of energy and will not give your opponent any information on your strategy. I love doing this as it's easy to pick off people because they are often repetitive and have a "favorite" attack or they give it away by shuffling their feet prior as they start attacking, etc.

7. Counter

Thanks for the replies people :) I'll make sure to watch my faults during the next sessions this week.

I don't fully agree with you though Flashlock.. I should keep my weight on my back leg? Do you really do in a WTF environment?

8. Sackett

Sackett Valued Member

I find eyes can be distracting or deceptive. I try a more unfocused gaze toward the chin that encompasses their whole body. Then I can be open to the movements that tell me where their going.

9. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

i dont do tkd so im not positive if u do it different but when i spar i try to look more at the shoulder area so i can tell which way their shifting and also i can pretty much see the whole body and not have to look around, i wouldnt look at eyes cause if they notice that ur doing that they will probably just look one direction and kick another to throw u off

10. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

No, you don't keep your weight on your back leg. I'm suggesting you use Bruce Lee's stance, which comes from fencing. You are up on the toe of only your back foot, body at a 45* angle, twisting through the hips partially caused by the lead leg protecting the groin.

11. Counter

May I ask you if you ever used this in any WTF taekwondo competition and if so with how much success? It - to me - sounds like something that wouldn't work in my type of tournaments?

12. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

What about it makes you think it wouldn't work in your type of tournaments? I was an asst. instructor in WTF TKD and used to put 2nd degree black belts on their asses in sparring comps.

I don't mean to be too harsh, but your stance is horrendous. As is your habit of dropping your hands. Your stance looks very bad to me because it limits your options. The bouncing is also horrible.

Check out Bruce Lee's stance on youtube, and maybe it'll make more sense. I think there's a good description of it and how it developed in Tom's book "Straight Lead".

Good luck, just play with it. Face your opponent at a 45* angle, and go up on the ball of your back foot. Use it to spring forward. Do clockwork drils (8 directions) just moving (foward, back, left right, at an angle Left and right, and an agnle back left and right).

You will not look like the other competitors, but be bold. Do you want to be like them... or BEAT them?

13. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

I have played around with a stance similar to what Bruce used and it does tend to get into the head of your opponent. I am not nearly as comfortable with the stance yet as I am with the WTF ready stance so, in a tourney, I am apt to spend most of my time in the TKD stance. In training, I am attempting to get more used to the stance that flashlock described as it is much more versitile IMO. You are at an odd angle compared to most WTF practitioners and thus, they are bit uneasy about how to get around your defense.

Have a look at the vids, buy Bruce's book "Tao of Jeet Kun Do", or just go to the library and read up on the stance. Train with it and see what you think.

14. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

As has been said, keep your hands up, work on your stance and where you look while you spar.

One thing that sticks out looking at the video is that you don't seem particularly keen to attack. The other guy in the video is moving more and trying to force you to react while you just seem happy bouncing away. When this is happening what's going through your head? Are you looking for a counter, or do you have an attack in mind that you're waiting to pull off?

Also when you do attack you seem to be going for single shots. Look at the push kick at the end, he moves away so he's out of range to make that kick effective, but you don't follow it with anything and instead go for the clinch.

Above everything else though, it's blatantly clear that all what you really need is a large helping of soju.....

15. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I tend to disagree with what most people in this thread are saying for the purposes of WTF sparing but anyway, my take on it:

1) Your missing out on a trick by not doubling you kicks up. That is to say that you need to be doing double turning/roundhouse/bandau chagi/ dollyo chagi or whatever the hell you call the basic kick you where mainly using (I've heard all four used to name it). Anyway, the point is when you throw one of them you should always throw a second as your first foot returns to the ground:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H6hAp0yf0Y"]YouTube[/ame]

Guy here is doing it sloppily but the point is that each kick you land can be two kicks

In addition, if you are good at doubling up on the kicks or trippling or quadrupling, it means that counters to your kicks are largely irrelavant to you as they will score at most one point o your doubles up kick still outscores them

2) At the 38 second mark your missing a trick by not attacking the guy when he's dancing in and out of your range. He also roots himself a bit just inside kicking range so you should really try nd make him pay for that.

3) Just after that you close the distance with a push kick, big no-no as it was telegraphed and unlikely to score a point whilst leaving you o0pen to being scored on. From past experience I Would say that the push kick should largely be left out of your arsenal

4) Stance switching: Stuff it. learn to fight from one stance against people in either left or right sided stance, easier that way and whenever they alter stance, you get a free pass to try and kick them.

5) Lear how to close the distance a bit better, you where really just steadily bouncing in to range which is a bit easy to spot, instead switch stance outside range moving forward slightly, switch back to your favoured stance moving forward slightly again then attack, this is the only time I would recommend changing stance.

6) The back kick you did was sloppy, all it did was expose your back and I'm pretty sure you knew it wasn't going to connect, I'm not going to pretend I don't do the same in situation where it's even more stupid than what you did but this is constructive criticism :D

If your going to back kick you need to be in close enough to catch their roundhouse on your arm as you spin and then you need to plant them with the back kick. Alternatively, for coolness value you can go for a spinning hook kick which has the potential to end fights

16. slacker6

slacker6 New Member

The post above is good, particularly about the combinations which I mentioned earlier.

A lot of your sparring is mental and you can change that. I'm similar to you in that I prefer to counter attack, particularly in sparring because you pick up on tendencies, etc of your opponent. Changing that mentality will change how you spar. You will want and need to use more combos, etc to set up and push your opponent rather than waiting on them. I found this to be one of the best changes I made to my sparring and it has been extremely beneficial.

17. Counter

First of all thanks for the replies again people :)
    You're 100% right, I have one problem though. I've been injured to my back for about a year, so I have to build it back steadily. I did a double dollyo once, but it's also still something I have to get used to again (I couldn't do any turning or double kick for all the while it was hurt).

Well I can't constantly attack, it's too tiresome for we spar many rounds normally. Also, during a competition you have to save your energy for the next rounds.. It may sound unlogical, but that's just how I fight, I try to pick my moments (although they might be the wrong ones).

I know I know.. I don't mind. As for the back kick, same story as above. I had an injury to my back and just started doing those kicks like 4 weeks back ago. I have to get used to them again, but I'll have to just do 'em to get there. :)

As for the rest of the replies, I'll try to respond later. I'm at work right now so I don't have infinite time ;)

18. slacker6

slacker6 New Member

Cheers, glad to see you are taking some of this to heart. I hope I've been constructive in my feedback to you rather than the opposite:)

19. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

That's fine, as long as that's why you're doing it rather than being worried about committing. Having done a fair few wtf tkd comps before I know exactly what you mean about saving your energy too.

20. mangoman

mangoman Valued Member

In WTF competition, I think hands down and bouncing is fine. Seems to work well for 2 time Olympic Gold Medalist and 4 time World Champion, Steven Lopez. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJZKenu3_jQ"]YouTube[/ame]

That said, on the street you would likely find yourself in a pool of blood if you tried it.

When I watch your video, it appears to me that you are too slow to recognize your opponents attacks. I am a believer that it is best to watch your opponents center mass giving you the widest possible view of peripheral vision which will hopefully allow you to see their hands and feet at the same time. Whatever you do, never IMO look your opponent in the eye. Last I heard the eyes will never kill or even hurt you and are very easy to deceive with.

Here is one of my favorite exercises to speed up your reaction time:

Have a partner hold a paddle with 1 hand and their other hand to their chest in a fist. You do your motion, bouncing, whatever it is and watch their fist in their chest. When they extend their index finger, you kick the paddle. As you progress with this drill have them start to move their hand away from their chest so you will still look at their chest but see their fist in your peripheral vision. Every time they extend their finger, even when you are just barely able to see their hand, you kick the paddle.

That drill will improve your reaction time and your peripheral vision.