Come Post Your TKD Questions Here!!!

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Chazz, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

On another note, does either KC, Thomas, mattsylvester et al have a thorough exaplanation of the lowdouble forearm pushing block? (As found in Toi-Gye-ITF)

Doo Palmok Najunde Miro Makgi? Anyone? :D

I've seen a couple of applications demostrated at seminars but have never been thoroughly convinced.

Any ideas?

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I just looked that up in the encyclopedia (Vol 6) and from looking at the applications for the "niunja so palmok najunde miro makgi" (L-stance double forearm low pushing block) ... it shows it as blocking a mid-level front kick.

3. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Does the volume explain why it's "pushing"?

For me the front kick would be fine if it was deflecting it, but then why use the circular motion of the pushing block? :confused:

4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Doesn't use the term "pushing" but rather "thrusting" downwards ...

5. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Hmmmmmm, stranger and stranger?

My 5th edition Encylopedia(cond) says,

"Bring the right foot to the left foot and move the left foot to D, forming a right L-stance toward D while executing a low pushing block to D with the left double forearm."

Pushing or Thrusting, any idea why? :confused:

6. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

I doubt it would serve me any purpose in a street fight. I would rather use a shin kick to the inner thigh which has more power or front kick to the groin. Imo the kick is useless. I aint a kid and I do like power for stand up.

7. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Encyclopedia on Legacy CD
    Pg. 314
    108. L-Stance Double Forearm Low Pushing Block (Niunja So Palmok Najunde Miro Makgi)
    a. Forward Stepping Block
    b. Left L-ready stance.

i.Move the left foot to D forming a right L-stance toward D while blocking to D with the left double forearm and then “thrust” to D with the right flat fingertip maintaining the same stance toward D
    ii. (opposite of above move the right….)

This to me sounds like Yoo Sin movements 35 & 37

Last edited: Apr 8, 2004
  8. Romantic

Romantic Martial Prowess

My right leg is now messed up because of my TKD training. Whenever I try to keep my right leg straight while kicking or stretching and doing splits, it hurts like never before. My left leg is fine, but my right leg feels like something is pulling at it from within. I suck in the pain, but it doesn't go away, no matter how hard I stretch to relax my leg. I guess pain is pleasure, so no complaints there.

9. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Was this from a torn hamstring?

10. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

1) "Kiddies" was directed at then general public not as an insinuation I consider you age a factor, grow some thicker skin. Anyone 6 years younger than me I call "kiddies" including my students.

2) After I say "not everythings meant for power" you tell me about 2 power techniques? :confused: My point was it's not meant to be a power technique.

Twisting kicks are at there most useful when it's taller attacker against smaller, it's an entry technique to stop big guys using large stopping kicks to keep you from getting inside their leg range.

I'll try again, it's not a power technique, it's a set up FOR a power technique.

3) It's not for everyone and it's only for a specific situation, if you can't find a use for it it's your perrogative. To say it's totally useless is verging on arrogant. Maybe it's useless for you, I catch taller guys all the time with it!

:D

11. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

1 thats an insult, I know you were talking to the general public but still find it rather rude.

2 I told you about more practical stronger kicks

3 I agree with you there it is useless to me so are axe kicks atm (I have strong axe kicks but i'm small and they are not at most ppls head height) It is a kick there isn't much technique to it. I perfer something stronger. Would you honestly use a twist kick in a fight?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2004
  12. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

1) Sorry you see it that way. I still think you are over-reacting. Theres 40 year olds in my class that get called "children" or kids when they mis-behave or arn't listening.

2) Funnily enough, I am aware of them ;)

Your inital post you mentioned you couldn't get any power in it. I pointed out it's not meant to be the most powerfull technique. Is there something I've missed here?

:confused:

13. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

My point was that there are better kicks to do the job, but you do not agree, so I think thats it.

14. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

No, I'm saying it does a different job to the one you think it does, but it seems you're too busy arguing with me to notice. :D

15. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

What tosh is trying to explain to you (my what patience you have tosh .... care to come sit with my kiddies sometime?) is just that!

Tae Kwon do contains a myriad of kicks .... a skilled "kicker" IMO would not deem any kick as useless.
    I prefer to make sure that my arsenal is well equipped before going into battle....

Kempo Kicker, your sig states that "your kicks are your missiles"... surely you have "surface-to-air", "air-to-air", "air-to-surface", and the purely tactical "surface-to-surface"

16. FireMedic

FireMedic New Member

I have a question since we are on the subject of kicks......I am having a prob with my turning kicks. I am pulling my foot and toes back but so far I have managed to break 2 of them..... :cry: .......please......any tips.....

17. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

What is wrong with stating my opinion? I do not see how you can use this kick effect enough to consider it a useful kick. I am not limited to just tkd kicks btw.

"a skilled "kicker" IMO would not deem any kick as useless.
    "

That sounds foolish and close minded to me .

Edit: For the record I do respect your opinions on twist kicks.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2004
  18. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

I assume you are trying to use the ball of your foot for your striking surface on your turn kick. My suggestion would be (without seeing of course) is to make sure you are turning your hips fully over. Without doing this you won't be able to get the proper angle of attack with your foot as well as you won't be in a position to expose the proper surface.

A drill you can use is to simply stay in a chambered position paralell with a wall, using the wall as support if you have to, and slowly practise kicking the wall with ball. Do reps of 10 slow kicks from the chambered position and then return to chamber each time you complete a kick. Switch legs after 10 kicks, wash rinse and repeat as needed.

Next question is have you tried using your instep as opposed to the ball of your foot? And finally what part of Canada you from? PM me with that one if you like :)

19. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Neither am I & nothing wrong with stating your opinion. In my opinion, you don't really appreciate what the twisting kick is for, no ones stopping your opinion -still doesn't mean you are right ;)

What I'm trying to point out what the kick is for. If you see it as an out and out kick on it's own for power then it is useless, much the same as a jab on it's own doesn't yield many results without the cross.

1 page ago,

Pot & Kettle Much? :D

Do you concede at least that the twisting kick is not designed as a power technique, as per your first post on the thread, and that all I was trying to do was to give some insight on it's practical use?

Heaven forbid anyone should think your opinion is wrong eh? :D

20. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Not really. I asked a buddy of mine today who is a 3rd degree (granted your probly a higher rank since you teach he also teaches) what he thought of the kick. Even though he will disagree with me on stuff without a problem I made sure I did not persuade him into thinking I disliked the kick just yet. I said to him "Is a twist kick any good"? He responded "it's good for point sparring" . Then I told Him I do not like the kick and asked him if it was useless and he replied that he didn't know if it was useless. His preference is a stomp kick rather than a twist kick. I forgot to ask him about the areas you suggested to be ideal targets. He also said he broke 3 boards with the kick so there is power in it. I never tried a board break with a twist kick but that is pretty good. I don't concede rather I don't think it is useless but there are far better kicks out there for ME. I will ask ppl at my school too I aint close minded my friend even though it may sound like it. Sorry I dissed a kick you enjoy. I still would never use it.

Yes, you did point out some nice logic and thx for that. I can hit those areas fine without a twist kick and ect (so i don't argue anymore). I am not afraid to admit I am wrong in a opinion. I am partial wrong here as I see it. I may have not put enough thought in it that day.

I am intrested in what combos you use with a twist kick (even though I do not care much for a twist kick maybe I miss something in combos and would love to hear an example).

Last edited: Apr 12, 2004