Combinations for Randori?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Princess Haru, Apr 25, 2012.

1. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

It depends on how serious you are for your training. I have never heard any "good" piano player doesn't play piano at home and only play piano in school.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The "Uki Goshi, Osoto Gari" works well when your opponent "resists". You then borrow his resistence, change your throwing direction, and throw him backward.

If you can't reach to the belt, an "under hook" will do just fine.

3. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Now I understand where you're training I know you should have no problem progressing. As a uni club, you'll get plenty of training partners and try and practise with as many people as possible. Check to see if there's any kyu grade competitions around too as these are great fun and a good experience. I know I'll be going to the Kendal one with some of the guys from Edinburgh uni but Kendal may be too far for Cambridge to travel. The main thing is to enjoy your judo :)

4. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

^ There is no comparison. Who honestly has judo mats at home? I know friends who have pianos at home. I don't know any judoka who have mats at home, even among senior students. I missed out on piano lessons at school because we didn't have a piano at home to practice so yes I can partly see where you are coming from. This is what I meant by lacking facilities to train outside of class, and the lack of willingness of other students to do something like that. For the varsity team maybe they should but think the safety aspect would be an issue. If you practice judo every day then good for you. I would say it is more the exception than rule. I would expect professionals to train every day. I am not.:argue:

When I was practicing Taekwondo I did 3-4 classes a week. For Karate 2-3 classes a week. For Ninjutsu 2 classes a week. Each had elements that were easier to practice at home than judo. Even on those only karate did I occasionally meet up with other senior students to practice but this was limited by work and other commitments. Of course I did practice of my own at home, mostly kihon and kata. Most of this was years ago.:thinking:

I did some grip work at the gym earlier tonight. When my footwork is better I aim to do more band uchi komi on a more regular basis. Since I know several throws but none are 'solid' more unsupervised practice may develop bad habits and so do more harm than good. None of this is 'on-topic' though.

Can we please get back 'on-topic'?:cool:

5. righty

righty Valued Member

Combinations and counters are a must in training, even at a 'beginner' level. If if you can't pull off the throws first time, you are still learning the proper footwork and body movement for Judo in general and learning new throws to boot. And let's face it, in high level competition there are a huge number of successful throws that are a combination or a counter.

Now you are after combos, which is great. But the combinations work because your opponent is attempting to counter your original throw either but moving out of the throw (with the feet or with balance). So if you understand the counter to your first throw, it will help you complete the combination.

Here's some stuff you may find useful...
    http://judoinfo.com/gaeshi.htm

http://judoinfo.com/new/techniques/...bination-and-counter-techniques-kawaishi-1963

A few of my favourites...
    O-uchi/ko-uchi gari
    seio nage/ko uchi gari

6. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

That's the point I've been trying to make for two pages now haha

7. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Just do not rush leg takedowns. Snapping quick into an osoto gari or tai otoshi, for example, can do some pretty bad things to your training partner's knee if you catch it on the side of the leg and his foot sticks and it's easy to do so when following up a hipthrow with one.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyjgN3gULbo"]Sambo - Самбо - YouTube[/ame]

There are some good combinations in there but as it's sambo, most of them will involve a leg attack or suplex followed by a hipthrow or vice versa. I understand most judo schools don't emphasize the suplex and some do not emphasize leg attacks, but you may find something that fits your personality.

8. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Attacking-Judo-Combinations-Counters-interest/dp/0951845594/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335455008&sr=8-1"]Attacking Judo: A Guide to Combinations and Counters Special interest: Amazon.co.uk: Katsuhiko Kashiwazaki, Hidetoshi Nakanishi, Sarah Cousens: Books[/ame]

An awesome book. I actually did use it to draw out a huge wall chart of attacking combinations.

Though, as many have said, at White/Red belt just focus on moving your partner (see that, 'partner' not opponent ;) ) and committing to your attacks.

9. Princess Haru

Thanks, I'm sure there are a lot worse books to get for my first judo book :)

I'll keep it in mind though tend to distinguish by the following: if someone willingly partners me at the start of class they are my partner, if instead they later pick me in standing or groundwork randori they are my opponent. Obviously if it's someone with more experience and they are coaching me on what I ought to do during randori they are my partner again.

The BJA syllabus has a lot of techniques presented as combinations. Though I am technically still a white belt we have covered a lot of throws from red to brown belt. Obviously I like to concentrate on just a select few to get at least a chance of proficiency during randori.

http://www.britishjudoeducation.org.uk/orange/ko-uchi-gari-into-o-soto-gari-%28renzoku-waza%29/

10. righty

righty Valued Member

I feel so behind in the times now. What's this about a red belt? Is no one 9 or 10 Dan anymore and they lowered the colour for it?

Don't rush things Haru, I know I always want to, but everything takes time and a hell of a lot of practice. You can try and train some of this at home but it takes a little bit of fiddling around as obviously you can't throw a partner around.

11. Princess Haru

In the UK under BJA for seniors(adults) the kyu grades are red (6th kyu), yellow (5th kyu), orange (4th kyu), green (3rd kyu), blue (2nd kyu), and brown (1st kyu). It seems some people payed one of the instructors and got their red, even some who've been to quite a few less classes than me over last two terms. Whether there is even a technical grading is in doubt rather than just having trained a period and paid a fee which has been registered with the BJA by the instructor. So, I feel a bit excluded and have been even more determined to improve (see my other judo threads and haruka's training camp for more whingeing)

What other training could I do outside class? I know YouKnowWho was suggesting I should be doing more!

12. righty

righty Valued Member

I was thinking you could try some rubber band uchi komi. You can combine this with the proper body movement as you pretend to combo throws.

I'd be a bit cautious with it though. Not because it's useless or anything but if you practice bad technique at home when you think it's good it can further ingrain bad habits into you.

13. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Red belt in the BJA is basically just a white belt that is used to signify that you have a license and are insured to compete. This is determined by your instructor after an initial period of training. Therefore those who "payed off" their instructor but had trained less than you were purchasing their licenses and joining the governing body. If you have not yet done so then I would ask your instructor.

14. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Years ago (don't know if it's still true), the Scottish Judo Federation's (yep, that long ago) Red belt examination was:

What do these mean?

Rei
    Hajime
    Matte

Do the following without hurting yourself (too much):

Fwd Roll
    Bkwd Roll
    Side Breakfall
    Rear Breakfall
    Rolling Breakfall

Do you have your licence fee?

Yes/No

Congratulations, have a Red belt. Because most club instructors were also allowed to grade up to orange in-house, many instructors would present the Red belt without a 'formal' exam because they would just watch the student during the warm up.

15. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

I quite like this informal system for the lower kyu grades. However I think the competitive system is still definitely the way forward for maintaining high quality and respected grades.