Combinations for Randori?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Princess Haru, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Has anyone made a study of what combinations work in competition for randori? I'm guessing with techniques removed by IJF it won't always be in date but just wondered if anyone has put a book or dvd out on this area.

I really don't commit enough on a throw but rarely use more than single techniques and these almost always fail. I'll keep working on my grip and footwork but just assume I'm flogging a dead horse with this approach.

Yesterday we did Hiza Guruma-Osoto Gari. It was interesting, but couldn't get it to work later in randori. Assume the opposite (Osoto Gari-Hiza Guruma) could work too but didn't think to try it.

2. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Firstly, randori is not competition, to treat it as such (which many do) will slow your progress. Think of randori as a learning exercise. Try new things, don't worry if you get thrown etc.

Secondly, leg grabs have been restricted, not removed. You can still do leg grabs as long as the gripping is correct (another topic entirely) or its in a combination. I still throw with a hand assisted ouchi gari.

Now to the crux of the matter, you will never throw anyone regardless of their judo ability unless you commit! So for the next few weeks, commit 100% to every attack, it doesn't matter if you get countered (see above point about randori not being competition).

For combination work, my approach as a beginner was to decide on an entry technique e.g. sasae, ouchi gari, ko uchi gari and after attacking with this I would try all my big throws off of it e.g. uchi mata, tai otoshi, seoi nage etc. until something worked.

If you're really stuck for combination ideas then I'd have a look at the book "Attacking Judo", it's on amazon.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I have the same problems wrestling, I have tried to really commit and attack and it has been working for me :)

4. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Glad to hear its starting to come together. I have no suggestions for wrestling as my wrestling experience is limited to some no-gi judo/ wrestling for mma classes.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

When I say working, I do still get schooled by pretty much everybody, and pretty much all the time. But committing to an attack seems much better than not committing XD

6. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

when you say committing you mean put 100% force and strength?

I have that problem. I think it comes with practice. not sure. I'm a newb at it amyway :p

but I definitely agree that you should use weakness during sparring so as go improve them.

7. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I'll suggest the following strategy:

- attack with your solo 3 time with 100% commitment, if fail
    - attack with your combo (use your 1st move to set up your 2nd move - usually in reverse directions) 3 times with less commitment on your 1st move, if fail
    - play defense and counter.

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

why not write out a flow chart of what combo's work for you?

9. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Can't say I agree, at OP's level (no offense) he is unlikely to throw anyone with single attacks, in fact this is the exact habit we're trying to break.

He should be attacking with his combos, keeping his partners moving and attacking with single attacks only if there's a glaring opening.

Also, playing defensive and countering is counter productive at this stage as it's randori not competition (see above post). He can start working on countering techniques when his partners are attacking with their combinations.

10. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

This is a good idea. You may find out that in order to make your single move work for all situations, you may have to be good in 20 other moves. Your single move may be just the root of a tree. There will be a full grow tree out of it.

11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

What's OP level?

I don't think combo should be emphasized on the beginner level. The reason is simple. You want to develop your "solo" first before you start to develop your "combo". If you can throw your opponent with your solo move, you won't need to throw your opponent with your "combo". The combo should only be applied on more experienced opponents when your "solo" fail.

You are right! the strategy that I suggested is for tournament competation. It's not for training. But trying to apply your solo in "defense" situation is also important. There are 3 different stages for your defense training:

1. before it happen.
    2. during it happen.
    3. after it has happened.

I was suggesting to train the 1st stage (prevent it from happening) which I think it's extreamly important for any beginner.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  12. Princess Haru

^ Yes, but the difficulty there is I can't dictate what is the content of the class. If the main emphasis in a student club is the training of it's members to compete in competitions and beat Oxford ;) then there's not a lot I can do, if 2/3 classes concentrate on randori over technique, and most techniques are taught either with a counter or in stages with several combinations to try during randori.

I'm a middle aged woman btw guys! Only mention this because a number of classes I go to are 70/30 to 90/10 male/female ratio so am often paired with someone stronger than me. It's more noticeable to me on the standing practice than ground practice since I have begun moving myself a bit quicker and occasionally get a submission to work.

I think randori translates as free practice, sorry if I gave the impression it was the same as competition fighting. I doubt that I will do any competitions, unless I stick it out for a few grades and need the experience to progress.

13. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

OP is a beginner afaik, white or yellow belt I thought.

I understand your thought process, however if her opponents have any judo skill then she won't be able to throw them with a single technique, leading to much frustration. How often do white belts just stiff arm and circle each other, trying bad osoto garis! It's even worse when you see orange belts do it at gradings!

What OP can do, as I suggested, is to start using simple combinations to get her opponents moving, which will break and stiffness and then start throwing those at her level and her randori will improve immensely.

It is likely that even as a beginner she is starting to learn combinations in nage komi and is drilling them. Randori is the chance to put them to use.

14. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Apologies for referring to you as a guy, guess its a general assumption based on the 90/10 split you mentioned.

Given your description of training, getting your partners moving is even more important as you will no doubt lose in a strength on strength battle with a larger guy.

I'd have a look for the book I suggested and keep working on your ashi waza as a set up for your big throws :cool:

15. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

For a beginner to use one throw to set up another throw can be risky IMO. All throws has counters. If you are a beginner, your skilll may not be good enough to handle your opponent's counter. To use counter against a counter is not beginner level skill. I agree that to force your opponent to move will create opportunities for you. But you don't need to use any throw to "force your opponent to move". A simple shaking, dragging, pulling. pushing, spinning, ... without your leg movement can achieve that. There are certain throws that are used for "door opening" porpose. It's less risky to use those moves instead.

16. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You will need to find training partner outside of your class. By using only the class environment to develop your skill is just not enough IMO.

17. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Risk of what? Getting thrown by the counter? Doesn't matter, it's white belt randori. I'd much rather have white belts trying to move their partners and attack in combinations even if they get countered 9/10 times than to stiff arm and attack one at a time and nobody throw anybody.

18. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The beginner can't just depend on 1 set of combo (such as AB). If a beginner can apply many combos (such as AB, AC, AD, ABX, ACY, ADZ, ...) then he is no longer a beginner.

When you apply a move, the following 3 things may happen:

Your opponent may:

1. resist,
    2. yield,
    3. escape,
    4. counter.

If your combo AB can only work against your opponent's resistence, your combo may not work against your opponent's yield, escape, or counter. Trying to apply the same combo (AB) in all 4 different situations is just like to use the same key to open 4 different locks.

Here is one example, when you apply your "hip throw (O Goshi)" on your opponent, if your opponent sinks down, it will give you a perfect opportunity to apply your "inner hook (Ouchi Gari)". Instead of your opponent resists against your hip throw, if he yields, spins with you, and drags you to the ground, your "hip throw (O Goshi), inner hook (Ouchi Gari)" combo won't work well no matter how many times that you may repeat your combo with your training partner.

If you try your "hip throw" 100 times and your opponent drags you down 99 times, it will not help you to build up your faith in your "hip throw". When you lose confidence in your "hip throw", you may never use it for the rest of your life. Your training partner supposes to help you to develop your confidence, not destroy it.

To solve "stiff arms" problem will require a different set of skills.

19. Princess Haru

For what exactly? For quicker learning, for self defence. I don't really know what you are getting at. There isn't really any facility to train outside of class except to train at other clubs, some of those in the competition circuit do go to randori sessions at neighbouring clubs to get in more mat time. Obviously this isn't what I'm aiming at because I've only been training 6 months in judo.

:topic:

I don't think the teachers would be too happy to hear about unsupervised training and throwing outside class either, with the possibility of injury. There isn't a lot of gym space in Cambridge. For a world renowned university it's woefully inadequate in sports facilities, apart from rowing (as each college has it's own boathouse). This is partly because each college has some facilities of its own but then the university also has central facilities that just don't meet demands of the very many other activities wanting to use them. The University are building more on the Madingley site though.

Also from my time as a student getting anyone to meet up outside of class time is never easy, in the first term yes, by third term not a chance, as terms are only 9 weeks with a near impossible amount of coursework to cram in. The mats at Fenners are owned by the club, shared use with the Juijutsu club. We had some juijutsu guys in the earlier terms but none attend class now. I trained and taught TKD (eventually) as a student more than 20 years ago, and the spaces we used were less than ideal. Gym space at Fenners tends to go to the clubs with the longest heritage and biggest membership. Good early practice at lobbying for later life :)

20. Princess Haru

Interesting you mention O Goshi. I'm unsure if we have been taught it but know that Uki Goshi was one of the first throws we did (after Seoi Nage and Osoto Otoshi) since they feature in the red belt syllabus.

When we were taught Uki Goshi, it was also shown with in combination: Osoto Gari-Uki Goshi. This may have been the first combination. I like to try it in randori but it is difficult to get close enough for the arm to get a belt hold.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzBsKtf87cY&feature=related"]O-goshi, Uki-goshi,Tsuri-goshi, Tsurikomi-goshi, Sode tsurikomi-goshi, Koshi-guruma - YouTube[/ame]