Combat sports don't work in the street

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Dead_pool, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Renner wouldn't knowingly lie about something like that, he knows he schtick would be ruined if he did that.

Grond and axelb like this.
  2. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Hmm. No luck here either but now that you be got me reading YouTube comments (dammit Deadpool...), I am definitely not the only one who thinks this was a staged video. I can hear the director now "scene: it's 1am on a street in Brazil"...and for some reason this woman is walking in the middle of nowhere and a camera just happens to be rolling

3. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Hmm. No luck here either but now that you be got me reading YouTube comments (dammit Deadpool...), I am definitely not the only one who thinks this was a staged video. I can almost hear the director now "scene: it's 1am on a street in Brazil"...and for some reason this woman is walking in the middle of nowhere and a camera just happens to be rolling?

4. Dead_pool

When you start agreeing with YouTube comments, it's a bad time, it could be staged, but then again it may also not be.

Assaulting someone at night, isn't unusual.

Grond likes this.
  5. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Well, it's a marketing video. And notably it seems to be the property of the Gracie clan because I can't find it anywhere else. You'd think this kind of thing would go viral without their advertising on top...and that last part by the narrator is basically saying "women need to be scared of this so come sign up for our classes". Typical self defense marketing right? Even if it's technically true that BJJ would help out.

I can't help but feel this video is a reeactment. So, it's possible the attack was real but this video is just an artistic rendition. Which if true means Renner isn't lying...more like being creative.

"Based on a true story".

"Artists use lies to tell the truth" - V

6. Dead_pool

They do Gracie breakdowns on everything.... But they've never faked anything.

And renner isn't "the Gracie clan" it's just one small branch with a marketing degree and pretty solid jiu-jitsu.

Grond likes this.
  7. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Still no real sources, right? Listen little camper, I used to watch "Unsolved Mysteries"narrated by Robert Stack, and "In Search Of", with Leonard Nimoy. I have seen many reenactments of mysterious assaults, murders, and disappearances. This is 1 Youtube video, and you should consider the weight of 1 Youtube video.

8. Dead_pool

What's your actual wider point here, you've said it's fake, I've said it might be, but it also might not be. I've looked but can't see a source, but im not a Portuguese speaker so I haven't looked for Portuguese news reports.

Are you saying it's impossible to survive a knife attack/stabbing? Its unlikely but not impossible.

Then again not every knife show is intended as a stabbing.

9. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I'm saying there is no evidence this ever happened, and a single Youtube video isn't evidence of anything. 1 video?

10. Dead_pool

The video, if true is evidence, your claiming it's faked, then explain why you believe it's fake, you can't rule it out totally until you've investigated it, have you tried googling for the news article in Portuguese?

11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I mean, we have believed a whole lot more over a lot less evidence. The entire art of ninjutsu springs to mind :D

SWC Sifu Ben, pgsmith and Dead_pool like this.
  12. Grond

Grond Valued Member

There's no Portuguese news source supporting this. 1 Youtube video and counting!

13. Dead_pool

So I've just checked the original Facebook post, and there's no original source listed yet either.

I'll do a Google picture search from the video still later when I have time.

14. Dead_pool

Have you searched?

Do you speak Portuguese?

15. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Sexual predator is by far the most likely explanation for his behaviour, given the type of attack and body language. Who knows how it became public? Probably there is a Brazilian CCTV operator who made a little extra cash that night.

The Gracie's don't know who she is, because they put out an offer to give her free training for life if anyone can contact her.

No, it's on a corner and the camera is way too high to be on a vehicle, other than a cherry picker. The double lines only mean that you cannot overtake (probably because it's on a corner), they do not denote a "major roadway".

I doubt she has been trained in how to splatter someone's head against a road. How do you know it had no effect? It looked like she was trying to escape, rather than trying to kill him. The small amount of travel in his neck makes it look like he was tensed to minimise the impact (as you would expect).

If it is a fake, it is a serious cut above any I've seen before, though I wouldn't testify in court that I was 100% sure it is real either. I would say that the body language, intent and timing look real to me. Plus, it is actually grainy CCTV footage, whereas most fakes are standard digital camera footage with filters and text added afterwards. If it is acted, they lost a lot of their hard work and meticulous choreography by using such a low resolution camera, when people still would have bought it with a slightly better image.

SWC Sifu Ben and Dead_pool like this.
  16. Nona

Nona New Member

Yes, I agree but I do not get what the actual thing you were trying to convey here.

17. Dead_pool

Was that to me?

My main point is that combat sports are an excellent starting point for self defence, and often develop better physical skills then self defence only arts. However that doesn't mean they don't need some adaption for different contexts.

18. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Not all assaults etc are reported on the news / made public. Not sure how this CCTV was caught, mostly though its a private security filming it and then posting it on social and it goes out like that.

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The thing that lends an air of realism to it for me (note that's not me saying it is real) is the clumsiness and way they fall all over the place.
    That's pretty hard to script and make look believable imho.

Dead_pool likes this.
  20. Dead_pool

Here's an interesting video, American cops arresting someone who actively goes for the guns during the contact.

It looks like their was a choice not to use a RNC by the first arresting officer.