Combat sports don't work in the street

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Dead_pool, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Monkey_Magic, ned, axelb and 3 others like this.
  2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Nice troll thread title :D

pgsmith and Dead_pool like this.
  3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

"front kicked him, he went flying and made a strange noise"

that noise was the sound of realisation that they were in the wrong place at the wrong time :D

Monkey_Magic and Dead_pool like this.
  4. Dead_pool

Their internal monologue was like: tenor (13).gif

Grond and axelb like this.
  5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

6. Grond

Grond Valued Member

This seems like a fake video to me.

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Guy was allegedly charged and prosecuted. I'll try and find a Portuguese news site.

8. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    pgsmith, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  9. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

It looks legit to me. What struck you as looking fake? I would presume the Gracies would check out the stories before doing a breakdown too, as it would be very bad for them to be caught out commenting on a fake video.

pgsmith, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  10. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

It might appear fake in that the guy does not appear to really try to use the knife. This does not mean that it is fake. the guy might have had a script in his head that involved showing the knife and using his victims fear plus his own strength to control the victim. clearly the attack did not go to script. so the attacker might simply have been confused and trying to work out what to do. A knife is a really bad weapon in a fight if you are not willing to kill your opponent. If he was unwilling to risk killing his opponent he might have been left with having to hang on to the knife to stop the victim getting it and using it on him.

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think that's exactly what happened. Didn't want to actually knife her but didn't want her to escape or use the knife on him either.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  12. Dead_pool

Whilst its hard to tell from the clip, apparently it went through the legal system and the guy is now in jail, they're might be some news reports about it. I'll have a look.

It looks "real" to me.

Grond likes this.
  13. Dead_pool

pgsmith and axelb like this.
  14. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Yeah well according to Master Ken..... BJJ is no dang good

**Language Warning***

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2019
    Grond and axelb like this.
  15. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I wouldn't use it as a hard and fast rule, but I do think there's at least some truth to the adage "showers don't stab, stabbers don't show"

axelb likes this.
  16. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Sorry, I didn't meant the attack looked fake, it looked almost too good. Like it was staged by experts. I have seen the same sort of thing in other self defense infomercials.

I got that feeling because I read the video description which states "We don't know who she is, or where she trains.". So naturally I wondered how the heck that could be true, and how they got the footage. I keep hearing people mention how it was real but if so where is the source of that info? I am big skeptic sometimes and this seemed like it could be a "what if" staged reenactment type thing. The Gracie clan is well know for, shall we say...carefully crafting perceptions by setting the stage/cage..

If the Gracie's checked out the story...wheres the story? How could that happen if they don't know who she is. Doesn't add up.

pgsmith and David Harrison like this.
  17. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Exactly, "apparently" isn't necessarily. Even some of the YouTube comments pointed out the inconsistencies between the video description and the rumor mill. It's entirely plausible this was real, but then why no supporting material.

And why do I get the feeling I am watching TWO well trained people staging a street fight. Maybe it's just me but the attacker seems too compliant. And she bashed his head on the curb over and over...with no effect? Looked like it should have, no? Esp since the victim is well trained.

18. Grond

Grond Valued Member

The narrator said he was a sexual predator. So...to even know that they'd have to have some solid info. It's possible the victim wanted to maintain anonymity but even then, for this video to make it to the Gracie clan and used in a promo, it had to become public somehow.

On a 3rd viewing....anyone else notice the angle of the shot ? It looks like that "security cam" is literally in the middle of the street. And it's not just some tiny road that is a double line major roadway. How is that angle possible unless it was filmed by someone standing on something like a vehicle or platform in the middle of the road. Weird.

19. Dead_pool

Screenshot_20190822-203328.png If you look at the comments, somebody has linked something called "source". My phone won't load it however, has anyone else tried?

Grond likes this.
  20. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Maybe the link in the comments was stripped, just looks like bold text.

Dead_pool, Pretty In Pink and Grond like this.