combat hapkido

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by hotrod1, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I just saw a "News" bit at www.ichf.com mentioning that the new "official" ICHF uniforms are ready and available from Tiger Claw. Anyone know what they look like? (It said there is a "student" one and a "master" one available)?

I haven't heard anything and would love to know (or see) what they are going to look like. I do like Tiger Claw brand, so the quality should be good.

2. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

When I saw GMP in Denver and here in Ohio he did say that Tigers Claw were now doing the CH training pants and that they had othere items in the works..Unable to elaborate cause I cannot recall...

3. timex

timex Valued Member

Thomas, if you don't mind me asking - how many seminars do you go to?

4. Thomas

Uhhhhh.... as many as I can. :)

Honestly, I try to get a couple every year. It really depends what comes through our area, especially since we are so far away from everything. Usually in the spring I can get to an Albany or Poughkeepsie one (sometimes two) and then in the fall we usually have something in Lake Placid. In between, there's often some sort of "clinic" (short format) put on near an event.

So I usually find some sort of ICHF seminar/clinic/get together 3 or 4 times a year. That's on top of our regular training (and various local activities) and any other interesting seminar I can find in the area (in the past few years, there's been a good Aikido one, "Superfoot" Wallace, and so on).

5. timex

timex Valued Member

Yes, I have been to events where "Superfoot Wallace" was in attendance.
    I wish I could attend some seminars- but haven't been able to for the last few years
    too busy working and training and just couldn't find the time.
    Regards.

6. Thomas

Last fall I went to his seminar in Lake Placid and he teaches a great seminar... even though he was still recovering from his hip surgery he did a lot of hand-work and drills with us that were just "great!" (as well as flexibility things). Highly recommended seminar! :)

7. JimH

JimH Valued Member

I have had several opportunities to train with Bill "Super Foot" Wallace and the man is amazing.
    Just to be able to be on the Mat to learn and exchange with a Legend is a Great experience.
    Not that I or many have even the remotest chance of being as flexible as he and or able to do what he does,it is still a Great way to spend some time.
    He has paid the price though over the years with his injuries.

8. Thomas

So... anyone seen the new uniforms yet?

9. hollywood1340

hollywood1340 Valued Member

Nothing on the Tigerclaw site, but I am very interested! We use black or blue Kwon uniforms now.

10. KansasHapkido

KansasHapkido New Member

Hapkido Techniques

In response to some of the conversations about taking out certain material from the traditional Hapkido styles, I would submit the following:

1. There are 5 basic locks
    Boo CHae, Son Mok, Pal Kum CHi, Hei Jung, Yung Hang.....And a whole ton of variations of how to execute these locks.

I think that in the basic fundamentals of Hapkido, most if not all styles of Hapkido teach these, but may have an unlimited amount of variations of how to execute them.

Choi did not teach Hapkido as a Spin Off From Tae Kwon Do, and the Focus of all of the Fancy Flowery High Kicking styles were not a part of the original Hapkido as it was taught by Choi.

2. According to Suk Bop, the name Hapkido was being used by Choi prior to Ji Han Jai using it.

3. Combat Hapkido, Tactical Hapkido, Saja Hapkido, Modern Hapkido are probably closer to the way CHoi taught Hapkido as opposed to the Styles that teach High kicking and Hyungs, which were never a part of Choi's Hapkido.

4. All Founders of the Martial Arts would find it difficult to find someone over them in the same style who could legitimately promote them to Grandmaster status.

So, In essence, who promoted Choi in Hapkido? Who promoted Ushiba in Aikido? Who promoted Grandmaster Pellegrinni?

All this debate about Pellegrinni's ranking is silly, as he has done nothing different that most other Founders of Martial Arts.

I dont particularly like Pellegrinni, but whats good for the goose is good for the ghander.

Just my 2 cents worth....

Before you start attacking, just realize that your lineage wont protect you on the street.

As a Cop, Bodyguard, and Hapkido Black Belt in two styles, I dont really care about all the traditions and arguments about lineage and material that is not realistic on the street.

Peace Out!
    Jeff Brown
    www.kansastacticalhapkido.zoomshare.com

11. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

We all have are likes and dislikes, me I like the guy...

Well said...LEO on this end too..

12. Shihan

Shihan Valued Member

To borrow a quote from the 60's...Right On !!! I don't care what style of hapkido or any martial arts a person studies. If it will help them survive a self defense situation, more power to them. IMHO, it's best to know and not need it, than to need it and not know.

13. Thomas

I called Tiger Claw yesterday and spoke with Johnny Oh. They will have a "press release" and photos and all that within a week or so to promote it.

The idea I got from our conversation is that GM P is NOT mandating a uniform, rather he's allowing Tiger Claw to make nice looking "official authorized" ones. I think once the pictures are up, you'll see what I mean.

On a side note, when I called the 1-800 number I reached the East Coast branch of Tiger Claw... they hadn't heard anything at all yet and didn't want to discuss any details or prices until I made an account. They did give me the California number though... and Johnny Oh there was very open and helpful.

Check out Tiger Claw Site for updates (probably within a week or so)

14. KansasHapkido

KansasHapkido New Member

Just to clarify my previous statement....

I have nothing but the utmost respect for Grandmaster Pellegrini.

The only issue I would have is based on a silly misunderstanding between GMP and I.

I was an ICHF student and member for a couple of years, and was a student at a ICHF Charter school.

As I progressed in my martial studies, and the ICHF Charter school closed down, I changed directions and started to study under two ex-ICHF Instructors, one being Grandmaster Barry Rodemaker, who is a former ICHF VP, and who was VERY active in assisting GMP in his seminars for a time.

After achieving my Black Belt under Rodemaker, I approached Pellegrini and asked him about becoming active in Combat Hapkido, but that I would not cut my ties with Tactical Hapkido and Grandmaster Rodemaker.

To say the least, GMP was not flattered, and was insulted by my question being: Will you honor my current Black Belt under your former student, or will I need to submit to another testing.

I was 100% willing to do another test for what I have already attained, but thought I should ask, which I was advised to do by a current ICHF instructor and state director.

So, just to set the record straight, I am guilty by association.

Other than that, I love Combat Hapkido, and hope that someday GMP will not be so defensive and shut out people associated with other Hapkido associations.

GMP is a great teacher, and I still watch his training videos and use what I learn from them in my Hapkido classes along with the many other Hapkido influences in my life.

Stay Safe!

With Respect!
    Jeff Brown
    www.americanfreestylehapkido.zoomshare.com

15. Thomas

I am sorry your experience was like that. I don't know the whole story (and realy don't want to) but I do know that GM P has been, in my experience, very open about recognizing other Hapkido association rank. In my case, I reconciled in at 2nd dan based on my certification from the IHF. I know several other black belts (several that post here) who came in from other organizations. So, it's unfortunate that it didn't work out for you, but that's not necessarily true for others.

16. KansasHapkido

KansasHapkido New Member

Thanks

Thomas,

Thanks, and dont worry, I am not bitter about it.

I do appreciate Combat Hapkido, and all of the hard working students and instructors out there.

Combat Hapkido opened the door for a new generation of Hapkido stylists, and spawned some additional "Off Shoots" of the Hepakido style.

You have my respect, and as far as I am convcerned, this wil be the last I will discuss in regards to my experience.

Its better to move on to better more constructive topics.

Take Care!

Jeff Brown

17. Thomas

Check out the Tiger Claw site for views of the uniforms. Looks like regular black cross over doboks with the option of the logo on the back.

Also check out the new student uniform and the the new instructor uniform for better pictures.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  18. hollywood1340

hollywood1340 Valued Member

Light or Medium Weight? How can I grapple with security in that?

19. Thomas

Heh heh heh... actually if you call Tiger Claw (ask for Johny Oh), you can get it embroidered on anything... I heard a rumor that GM P prefers a BJJ style gi for weight! :D

20. JimH

JimH Valued Member

The uniforms look Great.

The only down side ,to me, is they look like they are Light weight material,and we have had some who have used similar uniforms and they do not last long when grabbed and pulled.

We wear heavy weave Black Judo Uniforms.

Will have to see the new uniform to really tell.