Combat FMA/Escrima or Silat In London UK?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by DuvalS, Dec 13, 2016.

1. DuvalS

DuvalS New Member

Good afternoon MAP family

Just thought to create a more up to date thread and glean some information and knowledge from you guys. Apologies in advance for any transgression caused in advance MAP Admin.

I am looking for any reputable schools worth their salt in the arts of Silat or FMA/Escrima by way of Combat/Self defense type of classes based in London UK. Preferably in the East of London

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Peace

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  3. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

We can't like posts at the moment, so I'll just say I agree with Simon...contact Janno.

Not only does he know his FMA, he has proper-proper real world experience using martial arts, which is a huge bonus if you want to learn "combat/self defence".

4. DuvalS

DuvalS New Member

Greetings Simon, Many thanks for the direction and the welcome. Will be sure to look up the above recommendations.

5. DuvalS

DuvalS New Member

Thank you Bozza, Always great when you get a few people backing up a recommendation.

6. Janno

Janno Valued Member

Hi mate - got given a heads up so thought I'd check in. I run classes over in Russell Square, 7pm-9pm (right in the heart of London). Details can be found on our website: www.london-arnis.co.uk

Website's a bit dated but we're due a major overhaul in the new year. All of the class locations, times, and prices are correct though. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me here or via the details on the website.

To answer your initial enquiry: We're very much a combat focused group. Unlike a lot of other FMA groups, our technical syllabus has very little in the way of forms or twirling (there's a bit in there to help develop weapon dexterity, but nothing excessive), and although we do regular sparring - empty hand and stick - we tend to give the WEKAF (armour sparring) stuff a miss. All comers are welcome, though after this week we will be taking a break for the Xmas holidays, resuming at the beginning of January.

7. DuvalS

DuvalS New Member

Hey Janno

Firstly happy new year and greetings.

Apologies for the delay in replying.

Thanks for the info and heads up and will be deffo passing by.

Thanks

SDuval

8. Tamad

Tamad New Member

Can recommend Janno and Rapid /London Arnis. Great instructor, top bloke and 100 % knows his stuff and very combat orientated. Good sparring there as well

I will always recommend Bob Breen Academy in Hoxton as Bob is amazing and such a wealth of Knowledge. I would say more empty hand emphasis than weapon work though.

Urban Escrima based in London Fields is worth a look. Run by Charlie and Nigel who again know their stuff. Personally I didn't like the system but that's more down to my preference rather than a reflection of what they teach

There is also Shamin Haque - Kali Ilustrismo on a Wednesday in Whitechapel. Never trained with him but has a very solid reputation / lineage and again knows his stuff.

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

10. DuvalS

DuvalS New Member

Hey Tamad

Thank for that. Have heard a lot of good stuff on all the above.

Would it be ok to get your thoughts to n Escrima concepts/urban escrima respectively.?

Many thanks again.

11. DuvalS

DuvalS New Member