College Computer Generally Broken

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by sn11, Sep 23, 2007.

1. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

Hello,
    At the start of last year one computer at my college had major issues with it. We told the teacher of these issues. We then officially reported the issues.

New year nothing has STILL been done.

The problems:
    Paint takes about 20 minutes to load
    You have to (repeat HAVE TO) type http:// before a website works
    The 'help' function on most programs generally crashes the computer.

Does anyone here know of any ways to fix these bugs? (these are the most annoying but there is more)

Then i may be able to give suggestions to those who should be doing the job already.

2. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

Sorry off-topic but hahahahaha. Lol, I can imagine how annoying that would be. :D

3. HwaRang

HwaRang Just don't call me flower

Defrag.
    Defrag with a shotgun.

4. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

The help function crashes the computer? Which OS is running on the PC? Some decent information would help.

My gut feeling is the hard drive is failing. The only way to fix it is to get a new one.

5. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Have you tried rebooting it?

:D

6. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Best first question next to :

"Is it plugged in?"

Spoken like a true techie CF!

7. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Are you allowed memory sticks? My son's school used to allow them to do their homework on a stick then print it off in school. All the schools PCs where so virus ridden the had to stop it.

8. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Have you tried turning it on and off? :D

Seriously though, it's a college computer and it's up to them to sort it out. I'm assuming that you won't have admin rights to the computer in question which will probably mean you couldn't delve into it's inner working anyway without incurring the wrath of IT... :D

9. CosmicFish

In all seriousness, if one of our PCs gets that stuffed up we don't even bother to look for the cause - we just reinstall it from scratch. It's just quicker. And if that fails then we know it's the hardware.

Chimp's got it right though - it's up to your IT to sort it. If they won't then all you can do is avoid that PC. You could try sellotaping a big "OUT OF ORDER" sign on monitor to see if the tutors will take the hint and chase IT for you.

10. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Bah! You people are so boring! Make go out and buy a new hard drive for a computer that's not even his :yeleyes:

11. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

This would be why:

12. Moi

That's what I said, I think? :confused:

13. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

Tried the sticker - they took it off.

Tried rebooting, turning it off etc. Nothing. We try to avoid it, but since the class is full someone ends up getting it.

They apparantly have 'fixed' it. But the problems still exist. I suggested buying a new one since they obviously couldn't fix it... They didn't seem to find that a helpful suggestion :rolleyes:

14. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

I'll assume you meant "Make him go out and buy a new hard drive for a computer thats not even his" ... Well you see that wouldn't work since i put

"Then i may be able to give suggestions to those who should be doing the job already."

:rolleyes:

15. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Well if the softly softly proper technical approach doesn't work then it's a case of reinstall the OS, as someone has suggested or get a new HDD. I suppose it could also be the memory. But then I'd expect more extreme symptoms.

It might be a stupid question. But I am assuming these PCs have proper anti-virus protection and a proper firewall and all that stuff?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  16. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

Well, they do have virus protection. Norton i believe (90% sure).

Although i am almost certain its a virus... Happened when a friend clicked a link on a video website... (Thats when the problems started)...

But we ran the antivirus check about three times and said the systems fine. The technicians also did asnd said it too was fine.

17. CosmicFish

I can't believe they won't just reinstall it. It's the simplest solution, especially if it's a cluster PC, since they'll very likely have an unattended install or a ghost image they can just kick off on it.

Man, and I thought I was lazy!

18. Moi

That's the problem ;)

19. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

Thats what i said! ... But apparantly it was "free with the computers" so that makes it better...obviously :rolleyes:

20. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

The biology cluster of computers at university was especially lame when it came to protection. I discovered by accident that if I entered someone's name in the course and typed in any random letters for the password I was able to log onto the computer... :confused: :D