Colds

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Yatezy, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Nurofen

Nurofen Valued Member

I vote regular dosages of Vit C and Zinc for your immune system, throw in some echinacea if you start to feel a cold.
    I work in a very busy retail store in constant contact with people's money/hands/mobile phones/whatever has been in their mouth recently and I hardly ever get sick now.
    I used to all the time.

2. TM77

TM77 Valued Member

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  3. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

I've read this too, its commonly accepted your body is weakened while recovering from heavy training.

You can call it suspicion, however all my resident scots who live in Cold weather rarely get ill, especially in winter. Maybe something to do with the immune system not weakening even after training because they have lived in SCotland, I dunno. Works for them

4. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

not a clinical trial or full study but interesting nonetheless.
    http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20061111/bob9.asp

And a bit on it's toxicology that makes some of the worries a bit less
    http://www.nutraingredients.com/new...idCat=126&k=CRN--vitamin-D-UL-risk-assessment

a proper study on it's immune system properties.
    http://www.fasebj.org/cgi/content/full/15/14/2579

5. Garrett

Garrett Valued Member

Thanks champ

6. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I hope they are what you are looking for - I am by no means a health professional, my only health qualifications are in health hygiene and pest control - I was an army rat catcher - stopping vectors of transmition rather than treating people..

7. Garrett

Garrett Valued Member

That research article one is good and I can follow the references to other research. Interesting reading. Thanks again.

8. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Thanks Wry, it worked. Just got back from one long run. :)

9. doc97

doc97 Valued Member

When a person has the complaints you have been having, basically waxing and waning of symtoms, two things usually come to mind. First, colds usually don't flare, usually you all over feel like crap for a couple of days and get better. My guess are two things and they have been both talked about which would be allergies and a sinus infection. I would lean toward the later. The thing is most people UNDER treat sinus infections, usually not long enough with the course of antibiotics. Antibiotics need to be taken for a full two weeks because the blood supply to the sinuses is low and it's takes quite a bit of time for the antibiotics to actually get into the sinuses. I also treat with an inhaled steroid and a medication called mucinex. The other thing I would recommend is taking a non-sedating antihistamine especially prior to running outside. Not sure what is prescription and what is over the counter in your neck of the word, but I recommend allegra or claritin (however I haven't had much success with claritin) Diphenhydramine can be pretty sedating.

I hope you feel better soon!