Coffee is good for you

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by CosmicFish, Jun 29, 2011.

1. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Well, this chap seems to think so, anyway:

http://primalmd.tumblr.com/post/6397186790/evidence-based-practice-coffee

We get a few threads on coffee, but it's a popular topic so I figured people might be interested in another one. I know what a bunch of sceptics we have on here, so feel free to agree with it, point out bits he missed or rip it to pieces as you see fit.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Coffee is my panacea! Although to be honest it is probably as much psychological as anything else as I drink so much of the damn stuff I must have a tolerance level off the charts!

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

My girlfriend is a big proponent of the health benefits of coffee. I'm going to try and get a few linkys from her.

4. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Although coffee is good for you I try not to drink it to often due to it's addictiveness.

5. rivend

rivend Valued Member

Coffee has to be good for us if it's not I will lose faith in one of the few things I hold sacred.There are few things that do what coffee does to help the mind and body when said mind and body is in a miserable place.Coffee is love to me.

6. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I quit smoking. I think I can deal with the addictive properties of caffeine.

7. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

17 of 22 chemicals found in your morning cup are found to be rodenticides. Enjoy.

8. strafer

strafer Valued Member

I drink a lot of coffee. There are some health benefits but it also dehydrates you.

9. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

not mixed with creatine...

10. strafer

strafer Valued Member

I never even thought about mixing it with creatine.

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I tend to have a coffee now and again, though as an oriental person with gut problems it tends to make me run to the loo quite swiftly.

12. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I misread the title for 'Coffee cake is good for you'.
    Damn, if only.

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

14. Rhizome

Rhizome Super Valued Member

Chronic stimulant use weakens the adrenal glands, although coffee has got some health benefits to me this outweighs them.

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I am about to take my medicine right now....

16. Simon

Can you provide links or further reading regarding this Rhizome?

17. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

THIS week it is. :)

18. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Do you have any studies to back that up? It just sounds a little too much like the kind of loose statistic used by people with an agenda. Coffee has been studied pretty well over the years and if it posed that great a risk I'd be surprised there weren't more health warnings on the packaging.

Poisons are dose dependent anyway and you would probably need to drink gallons and gallons to see any effect. Many chemicals are even beneficial at a lower dose so to group them with rat poison is a fallacy.

19. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

So you're saying that drinking coffee will help to control my over-production of adrenaline in panic situations (namely after any injection or blood test)? Given the amount that I drink, I don't think that can be true.

Myth - it doesn't hydrate you as much as water does, but the net effect of drinking a cup of coffee is to increase rather than reduce your hydration levels. The diuretic effect which causes dehydration is much, much lower than the hydration you actually get from drinking a cup of mostly water.

Caffeine pills, on the other hand, would dehydrate you.

20. Simon

I think we have a few people on here perpetuating myths. Take some time to read the links within this thread and you will see those myths have been debunked.