cobra punch

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Ikken Hisatsu, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

was talking about "cobra punches" otherwise known as a baulk right hand (for an orthodox fighter) or a 2x4 with some other peeps in chat, but it seemed none had heard of it. so i thought id make a thread for some of the more exotic attacks used in muay thai and kickboxing... ones that are used in the ring though otherwise we will be going through the muay thai e-book forever picking out flying headbutts :D

basic premise of a cobra punch is that its a punch concealed by a low kick. when we train this in class we will do 3-4 low kicks first to get the feel right, then on the last one throw the punch. when we do the setup kicks we step forward and to the side of the opponent before throwing it. you can even exxagerate it a little so that they know its coming- you WANT them to know its coming or it wont work, odd as that sounds.

when you do throw the punch you step out, lift your leg just as if you were going to throw a low or middle kick. but you keep your shoulders facing straight towards your opponent, or even rotate your rear shoulder backwards a little to get more torque out of it. because only one of your feet is touching the ground you have to rely on your forward momentum and the torque of shoving your foot out backwards while throwing the punch to get any power. when i do it i find it helps to take a little hop on my lead foot while my other leg is in the air to get that little bit of extra reach and momentum. end result should be something like this-

[​IMG]

and here is a good video of mike zambidis in action. he is a pro at throwing this punch and landing it well. he throws some nice ones at these times- 3:12, 3:33, 3:42, 3:53, 5:39, 6:28.

the vid itself is also AWESOME, by the way. one of the best highlight clips ive seen, although the intro is a bit long

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5256184563918766029&q=zambidis

2. philliphall

philliphall Valued Member

Another example of why I would happily cover myself in man butter for you Ikken. Keep it coming (the informative content of your posts, not the man butter).

Although on the other hand . . . . . . .

3. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I always wondered what that attack was called.

4. Taliq

Taliq New Member

^^^Yea same here. That's a good attack, if concealed well.

5. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

My god his punches are something else! The guy is an absoloute artist with them! Normaly I find that a MT guy who relies on his hands can be dull to watch but he was just awesome!

6. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

As I've seen it, you can sum up the "Cobra Punch" simply as this....

When you "fade" or lean back just slightly to avoid a punch, which loads up your rear leg, and then explode forward with a POWER Cross.

I think there are simply numerous variations of the "Cobra Punch", the whole premise behind these punches is that in some fashion, they mimick the strike of a cobra who is reared up with his hood flared.

My coach, Ajarn Bumrung, aslo teaches the short backfist punch (keeping the arm & fist vertical) as a "Cobra" punch. He calls it the "Cobra Snap". It is less used as a technique in the ring, but is meant more for self-defense.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  7. S.I.D

S.I.D Valued Member

gr8 video not just cobra punch but mike's knee strikes r also superb
    i have 1 Q abt this punch, to get full power in ur punch u need ur both legs firm on ground (basic of power punching in ne MA) since this punch needs 1 leg in air u cant use ur hip so a bit power is sacrifise here, i tried it and i couldent put hip twist even with a hop
    plz explain a bit more, thanx

correct me if i am wrong

8. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

im not going to try and teach this over the internet- took me about 2 years before i could make it look anywhere near reasonable. the power comes from your forward momentum more than anything else, if you watch the video he is always covering a lot of ground with it to get the most power he can. practice practice practice :D

9. Qis

Qis Blue Tags WTF

Likewise, I didn't realise this punch had a name. Cobra punch...cool.
    It's awkward at first, but it gets easier.
    I don't think i've ever landed one, but i've had one launched against me, and it's pretty impressive.
    and as said, you are on one foot.(i.e, at impact- right hand punch(cross),right foot extended behind, left foot on the floor(as seen in the still in the initial post))
    think i might work on that one a bit, now i know it has a neat name(sounds kinda jung-fu though)

-Qis

10. elnan

elnan Valued Member

Sounds a bit like a attack my MT instructor did when I was sparring a while back.
    Took me of totaly of guard and he got a hard one on the top of my head.
    Got any smart tricks to defend against it?

11. Taliq

Taliq New Member

Jus get the hell outta the way!! lol

12. Qis

Qis Blue Tags WTF

Twisting of the hippage

You can get the hip twist in with your rear foot off the floor. Simple as that, keep practicing, ask your instructor.

-Qis

13. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Ha!!! CMAs aren't the only things which have cool mystical-sounding names.

But without digressing, nice post Ikken.

14. thaiboxer9

thaiboxer9 Kungfu Boy

That is also one of Master Toddy's trademark. Many of his students are able to execute it perfectly.

15. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

It sounds fairly similar to a rocking-chair punch in Karate, except using the low roundhouse instead of a front kick. It is a mighty, mighty punch.

16. republiksyawyan

republiksyawyan New Member

Great post ,great fighter with awsome technique, he has a very noticable counter technique yet he keeps knocking guys out.

TTT for a good post.

p.s he boxes russian style from the looks of it.