CNS issues and athletic adaptation

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by NightWanderer, May 7, 2009.

1. NightWanderer

NightWanderer New Member

this is for the docs, neurologists, therapists, or uncommonly smart laymen, heh. I have cerebral palsy, is there a chance that my CNS will simply fail to adapt to weight training at one point, preventing further progress, and am I more apt to put an unhealthy strain on my CNS during intense training vs. a 'normal' adult? Any other athletes here with neurological issues notice a delay in anabolic response or strength adaptation? I'm trying to gague whether or not stagnation in my athletic development is due to diet & training or whether it's something deeper, and also trying to formulate realistic goals, so I need to be aware of possible walls I might hit that there simply aren't any ways to get around or break through.

2. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

No Limits

What type of training are you doing? What is your diet like?

I have CP as well. Before I began MA training I did traditional weight training. I experienced muscle gain and fat loss consistent with my effort. The problem I had was that I got bored with the routines.

When I started MA training, a big part of the physical conditioning was BWE. I achieved more significant fat loss and gains in functional strength.

In 2003 I added kettlebells to my MA training. I experienced rapid, significant gains in strength, muscle mass, fat loss, and total body strength.

I continue to train with them and I am still making progress. I have not experienced any CNS difficulties or limitations.

If you will provide me more details about your CP, your training and your diet, I will be happy to provide any assistance I can. :hat: