Club Fee's

Discussion in 'Karate' started by TonyMc, Aug 22, 2011.

1. TonyMc

TonyMc Valued Member

Hello

A mate of mine has been looking for a Shotokan school in the UK, so he's been emailing around for prices. This is what he got quoted by the SSKA;

Lessons are £5 per lesson and the cost to join the Association is £80.00 ( This includes, Membership, Insurance, licence, Karate suit and Club embroidery)

and £25 a year renewal. It also says in the small print on their site that pregrading lessons are compulsory or you can be stripped of your previous grade.

Is this all a bit ridiculous or the norm for karate?

2. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

I don't have any knowledge of Karate but it does seem a tad on the expensive side.

3. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Sent you a PM.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I pay £6 per lesson (90+minutes) for Enshin, membership/insurance was £20-30 (can't remember) but I have to buy my own gi so that's similar. Gradings are £10.

Mitch

5. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

I am not sure what £ means, but I'm guessing them ain't $ .

In which case, I have NO idea about if your club is too expensive or not. :)

6. Mitch

Great British Pounds Sterling my colonial cousin, Great British Pounds Sterling.

I believe our former foreign territories have some sort of immitative arrangement these days, though their attempts are generally worth much less than ours.

Mitch ;) :D

7. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

We recently changed what we charge to £20. a month to train once a week or £30.00 a month for twice a week (each session is 2 x 1 hour) and £30.00 a year licence.

8. Blade96

:)

Big thanks, my British cousin. :)

Is it worth more or less than Canadian $$$ ?

9. Llamageddon

My new association charges £4 a lesson (1hr 45), insurance is £5 a year, gradings I believe are £10 for kyus and £20 for dans, but I may be wrong on this.

My old association was the SSKA which charged, well, um...

Oh look, a bird!

10. bassai

Read it and weep :hat::evil:

11. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi 'TonyMC',

It's not expensive for the lessons... As for gradings and pregrading lessons that's where I think they are being a bit naughty...

But that said, I charge £7 for a session 1Hr 15mins but do not charge membership or for gradings - so I suspect it's all about the same???

12. Mitch

I understand they have no idea what Pims is either, just imagine!

Pip pip!

Mitch :D

13. Llamageddon

My multiple (don't get me started) black belt gradings with them cost me over £100 each. More than a little naughty.

They also charged a 'pass fee' when I was there.

14. Mitch

How do you handle insurance Robert? Do you pay that for them? I only ask as "Membership" normally covers both a yearly insurance policy and association membership.

Mitch

15. Blade96

16. bassai

Even worse , some of them speak ............. French !

17. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi Mitch,

Exactly that - I insure myself and my students via Martins - and I absorb the cost.

Mind you, having just moved to near Gloucester and built a new Dojo, I calculate it will be about 7 to 10 years before I break even. I'm glad I have a day job :)

18. Mitch

*shudder*

I thought we stopped all that nonsense years ago?

Mitch :D

Attached Files:

19. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Used to be about 2-1 exchange ratio and now only about 1.62-1 .....

Makes holidays here much cheaper and attractive to colonials who need a friendly place to visit :' )

(Ex-pat Canuck)

LFD

20. Mitch

The good guys are always welcome :)

Mitch