cloudz: in out, shake it all about log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by cloudz, Jan 19, 2017.

1. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Hey all,
    quick update, training is going ok; took a few extra days off around Xmas, as you do.

So I have got to grips with the current set up of the bodyweight strength program I'm doing.
    Not too bad at all really, but having peeked at next week (week5), I think I'm in for a bit of a grind.

I completed week3 and done half of week4, yesterday was AR day and today/ tomorrow are circuits.
    The endurance circuit uses 2 supersets, a superset being 2 exercises back to back. So still keeping with 4 exercises though different ones than the power circuits.
    As well at the end there is jump rope rather than sprints. I have been cheating on these though and simply jumping on the spot and mimicking the jump rope action..

Not ideal but it's been dark and cold and I have a low ceiling in my home gym. And yeah; still need to practice it as I have no idea really where I'm at with a jump rope.

My progressions have been ok, the main one I noticed is that I can now get a full L sit going just not perhaps for the full time required, but getting closer. My legs are also not as high as I would like yet but progress is progress! Having taken a peek at next week, it kicks off with an assessment so I will update more on that side of it.

axelb likes this.
  2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Kicked of last nights training with a bit of fast tai chi, did a round that I was quite happy with, then my second round I lost focus somewhere halfway through and it broke down on me. I think I had one eye on my workout so I though what the hell and jumped right into my warm up. I picked up a bit of a cold recently and sometimes you just want to get it done and get back to the sofa..

warm up:
    arm circles
    arm crossing
    hip circles
    squat side to sides
    squat circles
    straight arm elbow rotations
    wrist side to sides
    reverse wrist stretch
    A frame pulses to cobra side to side
    bodyweight squats

followed by circuit x 3:

broad jumps x 3
    shrimp squats 30 seconds each leg
    chin ups, 30 seconds
    L sit, 30 seconds

followed by

3 x 1 minute sprints, 1 minute rest between.

warm down/ couple stretches

Stuck with a lower progression of the L sit, just getting the knees up, feet off the floor and pulling back a little. I thought this would be better for me over messing about with versions I'm no good at yet. Still struggling with the chin ups, though the first round always feels half ok, then on the second and third I have to drop back the progression to get more work in.

My shrimp squat is a tricky one too. I don't have the best ankle flexibility which hampers my squatting a little anyway and I've noticed my kicking (footbal/soccer) leg which I had assumed would be my strongest feels the weakest side. I'm not entirely sure though if this is more a balance / control weakness or strength weakness compared to my other leg. Stability is the main thing I seem to be missing comparitively from that side and it feels like quite a marked difference not subtle, so maybe a little of both in that plane of motion (?). Eitherway it was unexpected.

Funny how these realizations creep up on you as the instruction is to start on your weaker leg and I had just assumed and carried on that way like some brainwashed automaton or something. Definitely more to go on that one in terms of form and full progression.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    axelb likes this.
  3. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

hey, bit of a catch up

Friday 4.1.19

Strength and endurence circuit:

warm up

circuit x 3

superset 1: 30 seconds each exercise : inverted press followed by push ups (hollow body)
    superset 2: 30 seconds each exercise: hollow body holds x 4 positions followed by bridge press ups

followed by jump rope 3 x 1 minute rounds, 1 minute rest between

Saturday 5.1.19

Did an AR day today; about half an hour - 40 minutes mix of locomotion exercises, tai chi work and yoga/ stretching.

Sunday

Tai chi chuan/ Tai chi Sanda training today with a partner.

form, loosening, qigong
    push hands, co operative drills/ patterns
    fixed free pushing
    practice of 4 techniques within the framework of a push hands pattern
    practice of 1 further technique from a different pattern

striking/ boxing drill: pretty basic; slip a lead, followed by slip and counter with a rear strike and then we added a parry to the slip.
    The rear strike started with a cross, then modified to a tai striking method known as bend the bow to shoot tiger. As with many techniques in TCC there are various ways one can conceivably perform it. In this drill the best I can describe it I think is like a combination of an overhand (comes in high/ 'over the top'), a medium range hook (has some circularity) that turn over and ends up vertical (fist of thumb facing down.)

light/medium Sanda sparring
    stand up grappling

I was due a day off Sunday but this session concludes 7 days of doing something do Monday I did nothing.
    yesterday i was due for day 1 of week 5 of the program I'm following, but one thing and another I didn't do it. I should have as the main work consisted of an assessment.

As mentioned previously this week represents a bit of a jump in overall workload so maybe the extra rest was no bad thing. As well as the assessment (where in some cases you attempt max reps before loss of form or holds as long as possible) an extra 2 'conditioning days' replaces the middle day that would be AR, that consists of all 8 exercise for 4 rounds but the time is shorter @ 10 seconds. And a further round of the circuits added to the other days; 3 circuits becomes 4 on the 'power' and 'endurence' circuits.

If that's all a bit confusing it's basically this:
    day 1: assessment
    day 2: power circuit
    day 2: endurance circuit
    day 3: conditioning circuit
    day 4: power circuit
    day 5: endurance circuit
    day 6: condititioning circuit
    day 7: off

I'm told I should have built up the capacity to handle the extra work but frankly I feel knackered just looking at it. Definitely a push for me to get all this in and done in that time frame. I guess I'll just do what I can, hopefully finding or making the time; that's the hardest part, especially when you have kids that want your attention when you get home..

axelb and Travess like this.
  4. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Hi, off to a nice start, assessment was good as it gives you a bit of a lift to experience your progress and not too taxing. Not sure what i did with my first assessment as it would be nice to compare what i wrote but I remember most of the main things.

Wednesday 10.1.19

Started with the warm up followed by attempting the full progressions of 7 exercises. The hollow body series of holds isn't assessed.

Broad jump; the measure is how far you go on third jump, no progressions here and it is a move I'm happy with. Just going by memory but I do feel like I've increased my distance. Really need to find where i put that first assessment ggrrrr.

Shrimp squat; this is one of 2 that haven't acheived full progression yet. The full progression has you holding the back leg with another arm out front (much like a common yoga pose) and from there you are to squat all the way down, touch the knee to the floor and then back up. Atm left side I get to about half way, right side about 3/4. And I'm still not quite as stable as i would like, more so on the left.

push up with hollow body: I got this. How many till fatigue sets in: 11

bridge press up: not there yet, can get head of ground barely 1cm it feels like. More to go here, quite possibly lack of mobility in the shoulders is a block on this

chin ups: got the full progression on this too now, couldn't do one when I started. Full one:yes; how many before fatigue sets in (need to lower the progression) = 3 (not bad yo! :))

legs elavated Inverted press: Got this one too, can't quite recall if I could do the the full one last time, as this has been one of my better ones. It's an exercise I had toyed around with previously. Perhaps not as I had I marked this as challenging on ease level, and I started off with the easier progressions from the floor and going half way I recall. The full one has you press head all the way to the floor and back up from an elavated position (eg.feet up on a chair). A solid strength builder this one I'd say. Sometimes i just felt it was more convenient to just do them off the floor in my matted space/ garden room, on reflection i think i could have done more with this full progression/ started it a bit earlier. I'll make a point of always using it now.

L- sit: yes got the full one going for 10 seconds. happy with that, couldn't get it at all before. My legs also felt a bit higher than previous attempts.

After a little break, putting the sprog to bed i did around 30- 40 minutes tai chi, yoga & stretching, energy work/meditation
    tai chi: opening, through grasp sparrows tail upto single whip; repeating single motions/ movements both fast and slow before moving on to next one.
    energy work/meditation; sung breathing which is a taoist cultivation neigung done in a still/ prone position, face up. I picked this up maybe a couple years ago and it's become a real favourite and staple for me. Some poses and stretches in between as well as massage ball targeting the pyriformis.

regards

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    axelb likes this.
  5. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Did my endurance circuit last night - I mistakenly put it down as power in the prior listing I made here.

Thursday 11.1.19

Warm up

circuits x 4

superset 1: 30 seconds x inverted press, 30 seconds x hollow body push up
    superset 2: 30 seconds x 4 hollow body holds, 30 seconds back bridge push up

3 x 1 minute of invisible jump rope..

around half hour of tai chi, stretching, meditation

Notes: back bridge push up felt better; I did this workout in my indoors/house training space where I have a yoga mat on a hardwood floor. This really seems to help this move in particular as i get better grip; my jigsaw mats though nice and thick are too slippy where the hands go. With better purchase on the floor my form is better and a few times I felt like a was clearing a good inch or so and it actually felt like i was getting a small push up - for perhaps the first time. In addition i found that I was now starting to bypass the headtop on the floor position and going straight up into a push with head clearance.. with my body more towards the arms which is the form used in this training.

I found the press up (superset 2) a bit hard going towards the end of the time slot, which I'm putting down to the increased difficulty of the inverted press now being stricktly feet elavated. I also found myself at times changing from legs bent to legs straight. legs straight is the full progression/ hardest. So a bit to go there also in these type of workouts.

Looking forward, tonight I have birthday drinks with an old pal, so really not sure if i'll make BJJ in the morning.. Planning on TCC for Sunday and I'm hoping I will get the next 3 circuits in and not fall behind. But I'm not overly worried if I do miss a day I'll just try harder to get it in the next day. Is what it is.

copied and pasted this again as I noticed some errors, I really need to copy out a work sheet and double check this is all correct. I wrote day 2 twice somehow and where I got this from doesn't seem to agree with another part of the program.. I've re jigged it below, bolding the ones I've done, and hopefully I won't have to correct it again..
    This makes more sense and looks like one of the conditioning circuits replaces a 'strength and power' workout. The conditioning circuit inolves a shorter duration on exercise than I've been doing thus far @ 10 seconds but on 8 exercises for 4 rounds with no sprints or jumps after, am curious what it'll feel like tonight, but it doesn't sound too taxing. I should be on track come Monday as long as I don't drink my bodyweight in beer tonight :D

day 1: assessment
    day 2: strength & endurance circuit

day 3: conditioning circuit
    day 4: strength & power circuit
    day 5: strength & endurance circuit
    day 6: condititioning circuit

Mitch, axelb and Travess like this.
  6. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Friday 11.1.19

Warm up - same warm up routine listed before preceeding all these strength training circuits.

Conditioning circuit x 4

Broad jump x 2
    Shrimp Squats both legs x 10 seconds
    Chin ups x 10 seconds
    L sit x 10 seconds
    Inverted press x 10 seconds
    Push ups x 10 seconds
    Hollow body hold face up x 10 seconds
    Back bridge hold x 10 seconds

Standing post/ hold the ball: 10 minutes pairing 6 directions

Sunday 13.1.19

TCC class approx. 2 hours:

Seven stars push hands - moving step pattern
    Techniques with seven star footwork entry; high pat on horse
    Ward off strike and counter
    Fixed Free Pushing
    Form

Tuesday 15.1.19

Strength & power circuit

circuit x 4:

broad jumps x 3
    chin ups, 30 seconds
    L sit, 30 seconds

Approx half hour; yoga, stretching, meditiation

Wednesday 16.1.19

Strength endurance circuit:

Warm up

circuits x 4

superset 1: 30 seconds x inverted press, 30 seconds x hollow body push up
    superset 2: 30 seconds x 4 hollow body holds, 30 seconds back bridge push up

3 x 1 minute of invisible jump rope..

Interlude, followed by:

Half hour tai chi long form, mixed pace with holding postures

Stretching around 5minutes

7. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Hi,

Thursday 17.1.19, completed 'week5' strength work, yay!

Warm up

Conditioning circuit x 4:

Broad jump x 2
    Chin ups x 10 seconds
    L sit x 10 seconds
    Push ups x 10 seconds

Break

Approx 35 minutes tai chi long form with holding postures 3-6 breaths, fairly slow pace overall with one or two exceptions
    5 minutes stretching
    5 minutes sung breathing meditiation

Feels as though this week has zoomed by
    happy weekend

8. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Friday 19.1

various cima exercise :

Winding
    3 x static postures
    Bend the bow, shoot the arrow
    Spiralling cloud hands variations (silk reeling/ chansi gong)
    Bouncing and turning ('spinning')
    Loosening set (5 x exercises)
    approx 30 minutes

Tai chi long form sections 1&2; 15 minutes

break.

3 rd section tai chi long form, 8 minutes

Crow to headstand x 2
    Massage ball and foam roller
    Sung breathing meditation
    20 minutes

'hold the ball' posture x 5minutes

Saturday 20.1

BJJ 1 hour:

Warm up

Knee slide (half) guard pass with underhook
    Side control to cross face
    To north south with kimura set up
    Kimura finish

Rolling 10 minutes

Sunday 21.1

Warm up:

Loosening set
    Qi gong x 2
    Bouncing/ turning/ spinning
    Standing back bridge static hold
    approx 15 minutes
    Tai chi slow and static, part long form x 15 minutes

-----

Stretching yoga dynamic/static x 10 minutes
    Meditations x 20 minutes
    Tai chi, part long form, slow to medium pace x 10 minutes

Skipped yesterdays tai chi class as I was feeling pretty tired and opted for doing some solo stuff at home as a kind of AR day. The roll at BJJ was a tough one. ATM am feeling like I might take the day off today and get going tomorrow on the next round of circuit/ strength work.

axelb likes this.
  9. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Tuesday 22.1.19

warm up:
    arm circles x 10 both directions
    arm crossing x 10
    hip circles x 10
    squat side to sides x 5
    squat circles x 5 each direction
    straight arm elbow rotations x 10
    wrist side to sides x 10
    reverse wrist stretch x 10
    A frame pulses to cobra side to side, 5 reps each x 2
    bodyweight squats x 5, hold on way up on last rep

circuit x 4:*

broad jumps x 3
    chin ups, 30 seconds
    L sit, 30 seconds

Finishing with 2 x static stretch holds

Noticed that my chin ups and shrimp squats felt a bit more solid than they have done before.
    * 2nd circuit held up by full scale emergency clean up operation (dog pee!)

Travess likes this.
  10. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Wednesday 23.1.19

warm up

circuit x 4:

superset 1: 30 seconds each exercise : inverted press followed by push ups.
    superset 2: 30 seconds each exercise: hollow body holds x 4 positions, followed by bridge press ups

followed by jumping on the spot 3 x 1 minute rounds, 1 minute rest between

11. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Thursday 24.1.19

Warm up

Conditioning circuit x 4:

Broad jump x 2
    Chin ups x 10 seconds
    L sit x 10 seconds
    Push ups x 10 seconds

---

Sretching, static & dynamic, 8 minutes
    massage ball, 4 minutes
    tai chi first section, 8 minutes

12. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Hey,

Friday 25.1.19

extended warm up (added in a few variations)

foam roller/ massage ball

circuit x 4:
    broad jumps x 3
    chin ups, 30 seconds
    L sit, 30 seconds

Yoga x 10 minutes

Tai Chi, long form sections 1 & 2 x 15 minutes

massage ball x 4 minutes
    sung breathing x 6 minutes

notes: my sprinting today was the strongest it has felt. I also toned down a bit the intensity of my circuit, so that may have contributed. Rather than constantly going for the highest reps in the timeframe I slowed it down a little in places and also taking longer than normal rest times between circuits.

Saturday 26.1.19

Morning:
    BJJ class, 1 hour

Eziekiel choke & variations
    Guillotine choke & variations
    gi chokes* & variations

rolling

* I'm not sure about the terminology etc. but we were shown techniques that utilized the front bottom corners of the Gi jacket to wrap around 'stuff'..

----

Afternoon:
    warm up

circuit x 4:

superset 1: 30 seconds each exercise : inverted press followed by push ups.
    superset 2: 30 seconds each exercise: hollow body holds x 4 positions, followed by bridge press ups

jump rope jumps, 3 x 1 minute rounds, 1 minute rest between

tai chi long form x 22 minutes
    mixed practice: Each section can accomadate a differing focus or "frame" and build up, so to speak. So when using this style of practice it tends to be something like this for me: first section large frame, slow, extended, and inclusion of some static posture holds, focus on body mechanics and quality of force (jin) and importantly achieving "sung". Second section at medium pace, more mobile stepping in places, medium frame: smoother, rounder, more flow, less extended, changes of pace. Focus on technique. Third section, smaller frame, faster pace, issuing force, focus on combat (the imaginary opponent).

standing post x 4 minutes
    sung breathing x 4 minutes

Sunday 27.1.19

tai chi class (1 hour 45 minutes) Instructor had to leave early after 1.5 hours, normally is 2 hours.

about 1 hour on Form; square form, wu style. In Wu style "square form" is a bit like Large frame in Yang style. The movements are modified to be a little easier to learn and the practice is focused more on good structure using extended postures. later this is all 'rounded off' (smoothed out) so to speak and the more elaborate movements and transitions added in.

About half an hour on neigong.
    fixed free pushing x 15 minutes

The instructor had to leave after 1.5 hours so myself and a practice partner did some fixed free pushing for around 15 minutes or so. Given we practice in a foresty type area in a park the ground is a little risky to do 'moving step'..

I really wanted to squeeze in my last circuit for "week 6", but alas I just didn't have the minerals to manage it. Will have to be tonight, maybe with a few other bits and day off planned for Tuesday. I feel like it's taking up a lot of my training time but I'm determined to finish it and beyond that I can then look to balance my training with less emphasis on strength circuits than currently.

axelb likes this.
  13. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Monday 28.1.19

Warm up

circuit x 4:

Broad jump x 2
    Chin ups x 10 seconds
    L sit x 10 seconds
    Push ups x 10 seconds

Yoga - stretching - massage ball, 15 minutes
    Locomotion exercises, 5 minutes (GMB versions: Bear, Monkey, Frogger)
    Meditations, 10 minutes
    Tai Chi, 10 minutes

Today I do zilch, zero, nada. :)

axelb likes this.
  14. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I don't know what thoee gi chokes are called, but they are nasty!

cloudz likes this.
  15. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Hey

Kept it lighter Wednesday to ease myself back in, and begun circuits last night. I'm into the last 2 week phase now.
    Another circuit is added making five circuits for each session, the other change is in the focus.
    Which has switched to Ease and Quality of movement in the last phase. I'll make a personal record of those ratings for each exercise
    the first time I perform it in this phase. I'll discuss a bit more where I'm at with each exercise after I've listed/ performed them.

Wednesday 30.1.19

Warm up, modified
    Locomotion / ground flow exercises: bear, monkey, frogger, spiderman, variations and transitions.
    Stretching
    meditation

total time, 40 minutes

Thursday 31.1.19

strength & power circuit x 5:
    broad jumps x 3
    chin ups, 30 seconds
    L sit, 30 seconds

tai chi form x 12 minutes
    stretching/yoga x 12 minutes
    sung breathing meditation x 6 minutes

Re. bodyweight exercises: Felt it was time I moved on to the full progression on the shrimp squat. I managed to pull it off, though it was challenging I didn't have to drop back progressions as I sometimes do with other exercises. The broad jumps I went more technical than before and this translated to shorter jumps. I'm happy with my chin up form, but this is one that I switch up here and there according to fatigue, sometimes I will hold the top position or go slow on the negative phase. Sometimes towards the latter circuits I put in a few jump ups as well. So that was the case last night, but as I go I will try to do as many full as possible. The L sit seems to be the toughest of these 4 to perform and I noticed it took the most out of me, though I do place it towards the end of each circuit. I switched between legs outstretched forward and knees in and pushing up. I would manage something like 5-10 seconds with legs outstretched, moving towards the lower end of the scale further into the circuits.

My aim in this phase is to get as much form and technical improvement towards the full progressions. Where I can't use them, I will 'push' the correct form on the lower progression as far as I can. I need to review one or two, just to pick up some technical work I might be missing. The schedule for this phase looks like this and is repeated twice.

day 1: strenght power circuits
    day 2: strength & endurance circuits
    day 3: conditioning circuits
    day 4: strength & power circuits
    day 5: strength & endurance circuits
    day 6: condititioning circuits

Knowing what my Sundays are like there will likely be at least day between session 3 and 4. All things being equal though I'd like to keep up the momentum on this and complete 'day 6' by next Wednesday.

Happy training
    have a great weekend everyone

axelb likes this.
  16. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Hi, best laid plans and all that. Picked up a bit of a lower back/ side torso muscle injury after Sundays training. Laid off Monday, felt better, flared up for Wednesday, felt better. Today so far so good, so hopeful the worst has passed by.

Friday 1.2.19

Warm up
    Strength endurance circuit x5
    Jumping/ footwork 3 x 1 minute

Tai chi form, mixed x 12 minutes
    Meditation x 10 minutes
    Massage ball/stretch x 5 minutes

Saturday 2.2.19

Bjj class:
    Scarf hold, leg over head armlock
    Off of push leg defence: transition to americana
    Side control, Arm sweep to near side, switch arm control, arm bar against shoulder
    Leg lock entry, ankle lock finish

Sunday 3.2.19

Tai chi / Sanda/ MMA private session with training partner - have been teaching some tai chi etc.

Loosening set
    Form
    Fixed free pushing
    Solo drills: shadow boxing/ solo technique drills and floor to ceiling bag drills, 2 people alternating stations for 5 x 1 minutes twice through.
    Grappling; to pin/submission from standing.
    Striking vs. Defence/evasion and S/Up grappling, sparring drill; entry and take down finishes.

Tuesday 5.2.19

Warm up
    Conditioning circuit x 5

Tai chi x 20 minutes
    Meditation x 15 minutes
    Crow pose x 3 20-30 seconds each hold

Thursday 7.2.19

Warm up
    Strength power circuits x 5
    Sprints 3 x 1 minute

Tai chi x 20 minutes, mixed practice.

happy training

Travess likes this.
  17. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Hi, this is just a bit of free styling tai chi. Based on Chen pan ling taiji (orthodox and hybrid), faster, smaller expression and just what came out on the spot.. not a fixed form. It's parts of form a bit jumbled up in order, plus some free stepping and random, spontaniously made up bits ("on the spot"). At the time I felt as though it didn't feel quite right and I couldn't cut loose - I think I was too conscious of the camera. It's been ages since I filmed myself, but when I watched it back, it wasn't terrible. So here it is, to keep my word :)

axelb, Brigid and inthespirit like this.
  18. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Looking good G! Nice form!

cloudz likes this.
  19. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Thanks man!
    been too long

funny story.. some guy on facebook commented: "I initially thought he was a mime, sorry!"

LOL, and that's in a TCC group.
    I took it as a compliment, but my mouth dropped and was dumbstruck for a moment.
    :)

inthespirit likes this.
  20. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Definitely man, I'll give you shout when I'm back in town, probably in a few weeks or so.

Mime ain't bad, it's like the Tao's myriad forms arising from the balance of taiji :cool: