Cloth Weapons

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by ryangruhn, Dec 12, 2004.

1. ryangruhn

ryangruhn Valued Member

Hey All!
    I was wondering if anyone has done any training with bandanas, towels or anything else of that nature made of cloth.

Gruhn

2. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

When we were kids at school in the changing rooms we used to flick each other with a wet towel, does that count, it doesn't sound much but it didn't half sting.

3. ryangruhn

ryangruhn Valued Member

I'm looking for more of a serious post if ya don't mind.

4. Stxsas

Stxsas Keep on Flowing..

There is some techniques in silat (Mande Muda for example) to do with the use of a sarong. A sarong is a general clothing item of indonesian people. The Sarong is and has been used as a weapon which utilizes complex chokes, locks, takedowns, breaks and devastating strikes. A towel, scarf, belt or whip can also be used, but the favorite weapon of choice is the sarong.

[​IMG]
    As worn here by Sifu Cass Magda

If you want more info on the sarong, i am sure there are people to answer your questions in the silat section on the sytles section on MAP.

5. ryangruhn

ryangruhn Valued Member

Exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks!

Gruhn

6. Coges

Coges Valued Member

A lot of places have belt techniques. I know our Hapkido club teaches these at a certain level. Lots of neat tricky locks that can be applied with the belt. Very cool.

7. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Cool, maybe, but practical? Debatable.

8. ryangruhn

ryangruhn Valued Member

Are you serious? Think about how many times you are around an article of clothing, towel, blanket. In my eyes any training to use an item that we have around us almost every minute of our lives is practical. Heck, even when we are naked which is usually in the shower, there is most likley a towel with in reach. Please, if anyone disagrees post away.

Gruhn

9. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

10. shootodog

shootodog restless native

11. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

I was taught the following re cloths and clothing....
    A jacket wrapped around the blocking arm/hand helps in defending against blades, also it can be thrown over the head or into the face to distract/slow down an aggressor to enable escape. Grabbing clothing to manipulate the opponent is also often easier and more practical than going after the limb inside, you can also easily disrupt their balance and centre this way. Whipping with a cloth is effective, belts and sleeves are great to grab for takedowns and easy throws. Strangulation and restraint of limbs is the main use for lengths of cloth. Whipping is ok but tends to be a 'one-off' shot if you get heavy contact.
    Advantages: Highly versatile weapon, unpredictable and 100% legal to carry in public. Also unlikely to do major damage accidently if used, thus avoiding legal problems. Can be used to restrain subdued opponent while the police are on their way too - a lot easier than trying to keep a lock or pin on (legal problems may arise with this, as it's technically 'false imprisonment' in the eyes of some cops, so make sure you state to the guy that you are making a citizen's arrest for assault and don't use unnecessary force over what's required!)
    Disadvantages: Complicated, unconventional weapon. Needs a fairly high level of training and skill to use and keep the weapon 'in play' after initial contact. Can also be safely grabbed by opponent and requires open space to use best. Also will not tend to knock out or seriously damage a determined opponent, if this is required. Possibly best as a 'one-shot' (then escape) weapon for most of us.
    Hope this is useful
    N

12. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Fiore di Liberi shows a technique in his combat manuscript; Fior di Battaglia where you parry and disarm a surprise-dagger-attack with a pair of gloves. He allso shows techniques on how to defend yourself from attacks with the scabbard of the sword.

13. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

I know someone who knows someone who knocked someone out with a sarong.

14. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

So do I... as soon as she took it off, I was floored! :D

15. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

You would be surprised just how much sense it does make, think of that flick when targeted to your face, hurts like hell. And yes it is a viable use of this type of weapon, especially at long range.

regards

Pat

16. shootodog

shootodog restless native

the "rat tail" is a classic flexible weapon. especially when wet, spun and "flicked" properly. i've had my hand and face bleed because of a rat tail. imagine what i would do to and eye!

17. chip

chip New Member

i think stickgrappler.com also has some info. on cloth techniques. you could also run a few searches on "flexible weapons" to see what you get. i've found some good info. on other flexible weapons out there. good luck!

18. ryangruhn

ryangruhn Valued Member

Does "stickgrappler" still update stickgrappler.com? I noticed a lot of the links and such don't work.

Gruhn

19. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i think really elastic cloth could be used as a whip like weapon, else i continue to advertise elastic cords as ultimate(or very nearly) pain causing self defense weapons

20. chip

chip New Member

not sure if it is updated. sorry!