closed guard videos

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Giovanni, Aug 26, 2021.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

howdy. dunc got me thinking from another thread that i should focus on some closed guard techniques seeing i'm old. decided to start this thread for closed guard videos. could just be closed guard basics, attacks, defenses, whatever. i know, there's probably been threads about this over the years, but decided to start a new one to bump up to the top.

Mushroom and axelb like this.
  2. Giovanni

here's the first video that got me thinking some closed guard stuff.

3. Giovanni

of course, what would be without a roger gracie video.

Mushroom, Dunc and axelb like this.
  4. Giovanni

less grips, more hips is actually super helpful as a strategy in the closed guard, but it's something i forgot about.

axelb likes this.
  5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Good thread, closed guard is one of my weaker areas, so I will watch this closely. :D

6. jaggernautico

jaggernautico Valued Member

I like gordon Ryan's closed guard vid series

axelb, Giovanni and Dunc like this.
  7. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I find this to be very effective

As an older guy I focus on techniques that avoid the risk of things like being stacked so I don’t tend to go for armbars and triangles from the closed guard

axelb and Giovanni like this.
  8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I'm a big fan of using the arm drag to back as one of the main opening pressures/pathways, Lachlan's overview here massively improved my ability to do that.

axelb likes this.
  9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I think closed guard with and without gi are two very different things.

Personally I feel you can be more offensive off your back and more controlling with the gi and attack with less fear of being passed , no gi it's more a case of reverse, back take etc

10. Giovanni

gi back take example.

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

This is a fairly simple and straight forward video but shows a nice progression from first grip to chokes to arm locos and back takes

Dunc likes this.
  12. Giovanni

watched the Chris Haueter video all the way through again. replying to my own post just to note there is a terrific conversation about "street jits" that's worth watching starting at the 8 minute mark. great life lesson for people that are also interested in being able to use jujitsu if necessary--hopefully never have to be in that situation, of course.

13. Giovanni

i'm so close to hitting the triangle here. some day soon...

axelb and Dunc like this.
  14. axelb

I've been focusing more on closed guard and defence/escape (when my rubbish closed guard is passed). The 2 areas seem to be a good concept for me to work together o_O

However I noticed retention and sub setup is working more frequently. I like the hip bump setup, but for whatever reason I find myself favouring kimura from failed hip bump.

I'm yet to get any omoplata, but arm bar, triangle, cross collar I can setup more frequently, and I felt they lead into each other nicely by exposure to each other when they defend.

Dunc likes this.
  15. Giovanni

here's a video of a closed guard open that i'm loving lately. what i didn't get until recently was to control the arm of the first leg to stand. dummy me always tried to stand without controlling that arm.

axelb likes this.
  16. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Nice!
    FWIW Roger does the standing the other way around, but insists that you should not allow your opponent to control your opposite sleeve (meaning that the lumberjack sweep isn't available)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    axelb likes this.
  17. axelb

I always try and keep opposite side sleeve when someone tries to stand up in closed guard (and let them start standing) for that v very reason, lumber Jack, or if they posture forward omoplata sweep.

When I'm standing I definitely prefer the same side grip :D