Clip Representative of Kempo?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by flashlock, May 15, 2007.

1. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

yeah...gi division. what's the sandbaggers division?

2. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

You're not serious are you? Sandbagger = person who drops to a lower skill-level division so he can dominate there with ease. I experienced that the hard way at my last competition.

3. Gufbal1981

No...I'm not serious. I'm entering in the novice division. White belts in my group.

4. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

I agree. It's the same reason that boxers have usually beat the hell out of Karate fighters. The way they train is everything. If you have someone training in Kempo etc. the same way they train in BJJ etc. they would be very effective in the same way. Oh, wait...John Hackleman teaches Hawaiian Kempo no?

5. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Well Shelly, if you're going to grapple with a gi on, you might want to use the same kind as Gary does. It really prevents you getting arm-barred.

Attached Files:

6. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

Kempo master?

The gentleman in the video was a 1st degree. I am not even sure if he passed his 1 year probationary period. Master he was not...

7. Gufbal1981

LOL! Dan, that's pretty funny. Does Mizuno make one? hehehe :D

8. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Not a lectrure, I was agreeeing with you and why you spelled it the way you did for BJJ purposes.
    Are you the only one that use's that computer and name of Kemofist or are you just forgetting what you wrote about why you like the BJJ spelling you said to me a few post's ago?...

I know you have been under attack by others, but not by me, I am just sharing information and explaining, why, what and where, I am coming from. Which does, and has agreed more than, disagreed with you.

I think I'll have to chalk this up as to, 'concerned with your own agenda', rat-ther than an attack of sorts.

Why you need to get out and smell the roses, (a few seminars) those gi's and close contact with garlic eaters, are getting to you. :ban:

Gary :Angel:

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  9. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

Wrestling in MMA looks like wrestling in practice and wrestling competitions. BJJ in MMA looks like BJJ in practice and in competitions. Oh, wait ... Kempo/Hawaiian Kempo/EPAK Kempo/etc etc looks like kickboxing in MMA, no?

10. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

:google:

11. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

From Danjo,
    Well Shelly, if you're going to grapple with a gi on, you might want to use the same kind as Gary does. It really prevents you getting arm-barred

My thoughts, :Aegis: LOL...

Nice job in paint, my head and someone else's body LOL..

Thank you, I've been brushed on to the web, and immortality :google:

Gary :D

12. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I thought I'd share what my friend mentions about my new picture.

Gotta say that "you look good in white". May not be too smart to wear that around the house or you-know-who might finally be able to kick your ass. It would be hard to defend against a cast iron frying pan and really tough to out run her in your white smock, "Doctor G".

Does it make you feel comfortable and safe?

We've all known you're a crazy guy since the early 60's at least. You should have those "jackets" in other colors too. Yeah "G"man, that jacket is you.

Why not have Bon take you to a restaurant in your jacket and feed you? Plus, you could have a "break-away" jacket and you could have a 1911 in each hand and pop out of the jacket as fast as a Chippendale's dancer guy rips off his pants. Bon could even have a choke chain leash around your neck or a spiked collar and leash. Leg irons would be a nice touch too. I'm getting into this now. Maybe Bon would like to carry an industrial strength cattle prod. You know the one with the huge battery. I could go farther with this but Bonnie wouldn't think it's funny. I'm starting to weird so I'll stop.

Good luck with your jacket..............but stay alert.

Doug the Hun

Thanks for the laugh Danjo..
    Gary

13. John Bishop

John Bishop Valued Member

I think your tan one is better suited for a night on the town. Nice brown leather goes good with your wingtips. And your wife probably has a nice leather purse and shoes that match.

Attached Files:

14. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Hi,
    I was watching some old UFC just a few minutes ago. 2 good MMA guys both good in the ground game, one better in getting out of it and hitting and kicking.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=fighter.detail&pid=399

Evans won! What a crushing kick to the head wow...

So, I am still figuring the ground game needs to be good to get out and hit and kick. I mentioned it before but it is where it is at IMHO...

They are really touting the fight coming up with Liddell and Jackson...
    Evans should be getting a shot at the winner I figure...

Thanks for all the cards, letters and pic's while I was in the slam (banned).

Some are very handy with this gizmo called a PC.

15. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Hmmm...well, if that's the case, then it's pretty good where Hawaiian Kempo is concerned. Liddell seems to work it pretty effectively as do other Hackleman guys. I think the "It all looks like kickboxing" trend started with the PKA stuff back in the 70's when everyone wanted to look like the guys on TV. Before that it was all looking like Tournament fighting (some still does) because that was what the popular expression of the martial arts was. Now, it all looks like MMA with everyone trying to go to the ground all the time (not the soundest fighting advice). Either way, the way these arts are trained tends to follow the current popular public expression of them. I think that before all of that, i.e., Ed Parker's tourneys, PKA, UFC etc., people had a different approach. I think they sat around and said things like, "Hey, what if someone comes up to you in a bar and does this [insert attack scenario]?" or "Hey, remember when that guy went up to that other guy and did this [insert whatever]?" And the training was adjusted accordingly. I think the Dog Brothers have the right idea for training these days because it tends to address those types of situations. In other words, it lets the self defense/fighting needs drive the training, rather than have the training come out of a style that was created for sport.

16. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Some more information for all this morning, prior to my big couple of hour routine of practising with my favorite tools, (skill saw, hammer, fma sticks and weapons of all sort) then into building, going to be a busy day.

http://universalkempo.com/aboutus/item.nhtml?profile=aboutus&UID=105

http://www.skski.net/KSR.html

1450s era were a few good years.

Doug fir...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_fir

Home and shelter for many, can be made from this wood, and weapons of course.

:yeleyes:

Gary

17. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

You just nailed it on the head Danjo. That is exactly the conclusion myself and the other BB's at my old Kempo school came to. We were asking ourselves, "Where the hell did these techniques come from!?" and then we realized, that it was a simple case of...

"what if he does this?"
    "Ok...stand there, while I think of something"
    "oh! This seems to work!"
    "Ok let's do that then"

Techniques born out of compliant beginnings, never pressure tested, and then pawned off as "Self Defense" because they deal with "street attacks" and not some sport fighter who's trying to jab and double leg you. Basically as I've been saying....started off as a good idea, but it never got off its feet and instead spread too fast with no quality control.

18. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

So true, saying 'if they do this then I would do this' is, apart from anything else,making the assumption that you're going to wait for them to make it physical in the first place. Which is a very dangerous assumption to make.

19. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Yea, reminds me of all the guys and girls that go to bars and "their ego is in bloom and think they are the most important in the room", have a few drinks and just get more obnoxious.

Only thing they wake up with, is a headache and reality to who they really are.

Pathetic, to boot.

Gary

20. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Well, if you're just sticking with the pre-set techniques, then you're correct. If you train them properly and use the concepts that the techniques represent, then you're wrong. I agree that much of what has happend is what you've stated. People took the pre-set techniques and taught them as is with no thinking involved beyond that. Thus they ended up with the unrealistic "Orthodoxy" of "This is how you counter this punch" etc. without question of variance etc.

The techniques are expressions of concepts that need to be learned to be able to fight well or defend yourself effectively. They are the Driver's Education check list that beginners go through to make sure that they are doing everything correctly while they are actually learning to drive. Once driving has been mastered to a certain level of proficiency, it's no longer needed except as something to keep yourself sharp. No one that has been driving for several years sits down and goes through the driver's ed checklist before starting up their car. They do all of the things that they need to do automatically. You don't think about steering, braking, accelerating, adjusting the wheel etc. as seperate acts. They are all blended together as a whole. When someone achieves that level of skill, they are considered a good driver. Now that's not to say that they are at the same level as an Indy 500, Baja 500, or Super-Cross driver, but they have achieved a competent level of skill so that all of their driving needs are being met.

Pre-set techniques are tools that contain all of the needed elements of fighting. Coordination, balance, weight transfer, timing, distancing, targeting etc. When done for long enough and on enough different kinds of people, the concepts that they teach become ingrained and one will be able to incorporate them into a more cohesive fighting strategy. It's only when they are taught as something static and rigid that they become a hindrance rather than an asset.

I agree that a vast many Kenpo/kempo schools have done just that. They fail to address the concepts that the techniques are teaching and teach them as an end unto themselves. When that happens, they produce people who only think that they know how to fight. That is until they get into one and get their ass handed to them.

I almost wish that people would go out and get into some fights before training. Several bouncers that I either worked with or have since talked to did this. THey already knew what their weaknesses were before starting karate (or whatever) training. So when they learned something that was useful, they knew it right away and could field test it imediately. These guys would swear by the effectiveness of karate etc., but it's because of how they went about learning it and the attitude they brought to it. They already knew how to fight, they just used karate etc. to become more effective at it.