Clip Representative of Kempo?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by flashlock, May 15, 2007.

1. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

And you can't read. Don't see me slinging insults around ;)

the difference between me saying that an art is proven, and citing instances (such as the video posted here) as examples of that, is far different than what you were saying, which was that BJJ was the only art you ever needed to learn, and that with that you can be unstoppable, and the only reason mono-stylist BJJers don't win MMA is because of the time limits and standups.

I called you a salad-bar MAist because of your citing of experience (less than a year with most, less than 6 months with many). In this instance, your claims of BJJ prowess were unfounded, and to truly make your case you'd need to be at least close to a black belt (many years of experience) and out there on the mat/ring/cage/octagon proving it. My claims are far within bounds of general knowledge, that have no necessity of experience or talent on my part.

And on a side note, it really doesn't matter what rank I am, because at this point in my training time-wise, I'd be at least a green or brown belt in most Ke?po schools. I train 8-14 hours a week, and have been doing so for over a year now. How far would someone who did Kempo be right now, considering many of those schools have you train 2-3 times a week an hour session at a time? And then we look at the Kosho nuthugger himself Gary...what kind of time in his art does he have to speak of to claim how their seniors would tool me on the mat?

2. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

Don't knock the messiah. He's trying to get everyone to follow the path of aliveness. Aliveness without Boundaries - send your charitable donations to my paypal acct: PM for more info.

Name calling is not cool. Not even in the Kenpo forums. Aren't you a born again BJJer now anyways? What you doing here?

3. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Code:
    [QUOTE=KempoFist]And you can't read. Don't see me slinging insults around ;)

the difference between me saying that an art is proven, and citing instances (such as the video posted here) as examples of that, is far different than what you were saying, which was that BJJ was the only art you ever needed to learn, and that with that you can be unstoppable, and the only reason mono-stylist BJJers don't win MMA is because of the time limits and standups.
    So it's not my experience it's just that YOU don't happen to agree with me (and my instructor). You need to stop citing people's experience as disqualifying everything they say, especially when you can't judge someone's abilities/ understanding from the internet. But you know this, you just don't practice it yourself (hypocritical???) Mm hm!

Code:
    I called you a salad-bar MAist because of your citing of experience (less than a year with most, less than 6 months with many). 
    That is a big assumption you're making, and cheap to boot. Unlike most people here, I tell the truth of actual classes I've taken. Is that it? No. My father showed me street fighting tactics since I was 7 years old. What's it matter if you're in something for 15 years if you suck?

Here's everything, so I can finally shut you up:

1. My father was a brown belt in karate. Since the age of 7, we'd practice basic moves: eye jab, headlock escapes, parrying punches, front kick, snap kick, closing into clinch. I took gymnastics when I was 8, and have always had good balance.

2. At age 9 took TKD for a year in kids classes.

3. Wrestled 8th and 9th grade (free style). Took 2nd in my weight class, Class B school.

4. 1991-1996 TKD, Asst Instructor (one test away from BB, did not take due to teacher leaving our organization and setting up own dojo). We concentrated on self defense. At the time, he also was taking instruction from a Sr Master in Praying Mantis Kung fu. We experimented heavily with taijutsu, praying mantis, kali, JKD, aikido, and knife defense. Took Tai chi for three months--I didn't stop because I quit, rather, the instructor left our dojo!

5. Took seminars from SR masters in Taijutsu, TKD and Aikido.

6. During college, early 2000's, trained in aikido off and on (college was first priority).

7. After college, was able to finally get back into MA. Boxed twice a week in boxing, one-on-one, with Olympic Bronze medalist. 2006. Quit because I decided not to renew gym membership, and wanted to go into BJJ.

8. Experimented with To-Shin-Do, but phased out for Vunak's RAT program. About 6 months, and then my training partner could no longer practice, so that's been put on the back burner. Again, I didn't quit it.

8. Settled on BJJ, on a 6 month contract with Ground Zero. Instructor is Brown belt, multiple BJJ champion, security guy, and NHB fighter, Rob Williams (been almost 3 months now--I barely know him but out of all my instructors and all the seminars, he is top notch! Probably the best fighter I've ever had the chance to work with.) 2007

9. Attended seminar on street fighting conducted by Glenn Zweirs (a Hock Hockheim instructor). 2007

I could tripple all these numbers, and you'll still roll your eyes at me. Thing is, I've been exposed to MA all my life, I'm good at it, love it, and people can't always stay doing the same thing for decades--who the heck would want to. You still think I'm a salad bar MA? Good, then I accept your apology! :)

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  4. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

I think the problem people have with your attitude is that any reasonable person with the experience you have listed would not make the same blanket statements about BJJ's superiority that you do. We all agree it is a good, valuable art. It's just that most of us here (who have at least as much experience as you) also see the value in the striking arts, and realize that the best fighters are those who utilize a wide-range of tools, as our experience, and the experience of others (UFC fights, our coaches/instructors, etc) have shown us.

In other words, if you are as experienced as you say, you wouldn't have the viewpoint you do--your experience would have led you to the inevitable conclusion the rest of us have reached.

5. KempoFist

Don't use the code wrap next time ;)

And, sorry but you and your instructors opinions are about a decade out of date, and that's coming from the majority of the BJJ community that has moved on, and stopped making excuses for themselves.

I stand by my point. My claims for what BJJ practitioners are capable of are well within the realm of provable fact, where your claims are questionable at best, and the regurgitated "only Gracie Jiu-Jitsu can beat Gracie Jiu-Jitsu" rantings of your instructor at worst.

[​IMG]

6. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Can't forget your gluten free croutons:

[​IMG]

7. Nuck Chorris

You keep this up and I am gonna have to eat some more. Awww. screw it. Gonna eat. Gotta keep weight.

8. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Oh yeah, your sumo tournament is next month right? :D

9. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Thanks John, I'll watch it.

Edit: I watched it this morning. Good stuff. Something all should do, regarding the learning process.

Gary

10. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I don't speak for Guf, but I find it far more rewarding (and entertaining) to crack other peoples delusions who are in the same boat I was in. What I wonder, is why you have made it a mission to spread the good word about an art you barely train in (Kosho)? :topic:

Kempofist.

Could you explain your last if you will, training is a term that you seem to believe has to be in a gym. It is not. Just a small piece of the puzzle. So compitition is where it is at, for you.

Yesterday I trained for 5 hours:

2 at a gym and 3 at an indoor firearms shooting range. Some of the training was in FMA and some in Kosho. Some could have been considered other arts but I believe they are all within the "kosho" realm of "Kempo".
    I think if you would have gone and talked to Bruce Juchnik/Pat Kelly he could have explained what Kosho is to you. But you prefer to live in the world you designed in your mind, about the reason for the aquaintence. That is delusional to the max... ;)

Cracking delusions of what a person 65 has lived and done is not a job for a brash "20 some year? old", I'd think. I believe you are the one who is delusional, living in a state of parasitic behavior at best.

This is a good one also:

I think "Barely train in" is a bit of an exaggeration. Let's say rather, "Have read about on the internet."

What an observation this is, I have been there and done it, where many, or most can only be living through others experience's and knowledge and still insist that it can't be done. Funny really...

Gary

11. Nuck Chorris

Smart ass.

12. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

So how does FMA or Kosho firearms training differ from the others?

13. Nuck Chorris

FMA Firearms training is done wearing flip flops. Kosho firearms training is all about shooting blanks.

14. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

:eek:

15. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

16. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

you mix more metaphors that flashlock does styles.

the Yankees are not JuJutsu. jujutsu is baseball. Baseball does not win games. The yankees win games. Some jujutsu players SUCK and some are at mcDojos. Jujutsu does not win fights, PEOPLE do.

But I ain't mad atcha! When I was 20 years younger (your age) I was pretty sure that the crap I was doing and thinking was the coolest best crap ever, and I was thinking it perfectly, just like you do now. 20 years later, my opinion has changed. So will yours, if you are not brain-damaged.

-David

17. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

LoL and wasn't it flashlock who created the thread smoking me for coming up with a less than perfect metaphor?

Oh the irony!

18. KempoFist

Incorrect. Jiu-Jitsu is a style competing in the competition of fighting/MMA. The Yankees are a team competing in the competition of baseball. At best I mixed up my metaphors by saying I just started playing baseball, rather than saying I just started playing for the Yankees.

And no I have no delusions about what I am training. If I did, I'd be riding Gracie nuts right now, like Flashlock has done, rather than arguing with him about it across 2-3 threads. I understand what area and focus I am training in, and I am very well aware of how powerful as well as what holes training in such a way does. I know this through a few different sources.

a) My own experience, when I meet up with people I've never even met before and fight them. And that offer goes out to anyone, as it always has.

b) Witnessing others in real fights, and seeing what happens whether they are trained or not.

c) Gracie challenge videos

d) Amatuer and Professional MMA/Vale Tudo/Pancrase, and seeing what prevails there, and how, and why.

19. Nuck Chorris

You started playing baseball for the Royals.

David is way off. KF's analogy is about right on.

Martial Arts = Baseball as a whole
    Team = Style
    Player = individuals that make up different parts of the whole

The player part is even more depressing. I love it when people say it "It's not the style, it is the practitioner." There are far more people doing Kenpo, TKD, and who knows what else than there are doing BJJ. Yet BJJ has stronger fighters. Luck? I think not. Better techniques? I don't think so. Better institution for combat at the moment. Strikers will figure it out eventually and get their heads out of their asses.

20. KempoFist

I think they already have and are showing us at MMA event after MMA event. How's that for BJJ-nuthuggery?