Chu Gar Southern Mantis interview

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by gedhab, Dec 30, 2004.

1. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  2. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

http://www.rthk.org.hk/special/invincible/media/martialart07.asx

It's been roughly translated on a mantis forum

Plenty of doy chong (heavy arm / double practice) and chy sao (grinding arm) by the two kids - and it looks like they need it.

Rgds,
    David

3. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

true, the kids are pretty skinny but then again they are young. pity the old master didn't demonstrate a few techniques.

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

"Does not exist, please go back to RTHK"

OOOh wait...got it

5. David

The kids were too new, not too young. Shame they couldn't get some more experienced demonstrators. Maybe they were grand-children who just happened to be about :).

Rgds,
    Davic

6. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

yes, i thought their chy sau demo was rather sloppy and used incorrect technique...what do you think?

7. David

I don't want to be cruel - they just hadn't got it sussed, probably because they hadn't trained much at all.

:)

8. David

Apart from this clip, I've not seen chy sao done with the pheonix-eye fist before. I wonder if the forward-thrusting part of the circuit is supposed to include a forearm twist...

Also, the ginger fist seems to be 'missing' from the doy chong as I know it.

Rgds,
    David

9. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

I've normally seen chy sau done with the little finger middle knuckle protruding rather than the phoenix eye fist.