Christianity, bullying, and gay straight alliances.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Blade96, Feb 4, 2012.

1. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I'm ignoring the evidence? I thought I was the one pointing out evidence that the Catholic Church might not have your best interest at heart and you were the one claiming that it's all just speculation.

You are trying to tell me that a world wide, multi-million dollar organization, that owns their own bank, had ties with the mafia for allegedly money laundering, has tried to cover up other scandals, and has a long dark history of being involved in politics and war, doesn't have an interest in making money?

Do you think they made all the money by accident or that Jesus went out into the desert and turned one dollar into millions?

I am sorry but you are either very naive or being intentionally ignorant. I just don't know how you can look at such a rich and powerful organization and think that money doesn't influence them at all?

Let me flip it back on you: What do you think the main reason is that the Catholic Church won't allow gays to marry, and do you have any proof that there aren't any other factors involved.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

The proof is the 2000-year unbroken tradition of calling homosexual behavior a sin. That's the only reason ever cited by the Church, and it is absolutely positively a sufficient answer. All discussions end when that is evidence shown. The debate is done. It's over. That's how the RCC works. You're completely ignoring how the RCC forms doctrine and canon law.

The question was whether the RCC is sticking with it's controversial position in order to get more money. Well, the RCC gets money from parishes, in the form of tithes and other gifts. If it was about money, the RCC would drop the canon law against married priests, and thereby get more priests, and thus get more parishes. (Non-married priests is not a doctrinal position. It's canon law.) It's undisputed inside the RCC that it would get more priests if it dropped that rule. As it is, parishes are literally shutting down for a lack of priests. Yet, the Vatican doesn't want to change the rule. This evidences that it ain't about the money.

Likewise, allowing female priests would increase the number of priests, which would increase the number of parishes, which would increase revenue, yet, it's not happening. Pope Benedict says the 2000-year-old tradition disallows female priests. Well, that's the end of the discussion. Game over. This evidences that it ain't about money.

If it was about the money, there wouldn't be a push within the Church to get more nuns and monks -- but there is. I've seen the ads all over their own publications. They want to grow the class of people who do not contribute money to the Church. If it was about money you'd think they'd want to push those young people into rich jobs so as to get tithes, but no, they're encouraging young people to become parasites on the Church. This evidences that it's not about money.

Everyone within the Church knows that the ban on contraception alienates nominal Catholics. More of them would return to the Church if they felt more welcome, and if more came back there'd be more tithe, and maybe even more priests in the next generation, but the Vatican won't do it. This evidences that it's not about money.

That's five modern examples from today's newspaper of the RCC not being motivated by money.

A country can have it's own bank. England has a bank. So does Scotland. So does Canada. Countries have banks. The fact that the Vatican has a bank says nothing at all about the Church being for profit.

Churches are spiritual hospitals. Everyone inside a church knows that it's full of yucky, bad people, just like regular hospitals are full of wounded, bleeding, sick people. Churches are supposed to be that way. Churches are supposed to be hospitals. It's only an outsider who thinks otherwise, and honestly, that screams ignorance on your part. Saying that a church has ties to criminals could just as well be a positive statement, because it could mean that the church was attracting spiritually sick people like it's supposed to. Chaplains are ordained ministers, you know, and numerous church bodies send chaplains into prisons to work with felons therein, but that doesn't mean that those ordained ministers are criminals.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It only seems fair that that gay people have exactly the same access to the years of misery, attritional bickering and descent into a messy divorce that us hetero married people have.*

*If my wife reads this I'm obviously joking

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

This is actually pretty spot on

It doesn't excuse their bigotted stance, but there is no need to look for complex answers when the churches own doctrine is explicit about things.

The fact they are wrong is just fine details! :)

5. komuso

komuso Valued Member

My confusion on this issue can be expressed as follows, and I am interested in a christian response.
    Fair enough, you have a venerable tradition that dictates your moral behaviour, and I wish you all the very best in that. If you don't want to engage in gay marriage, abortion, and a whole host of other behaviours, I think that is 100% solid gold your right.
    My question is - what on earth gives you all the arrogance to then force your chosen path on others who have no engagement with it at all?

paul

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

No more or less than anyone else, which is the point of this thread really.

7. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Creating more perishes and priests does not guarantee that people will join the Church. It's like saying that if I open a chain of restaurants, I'll have more customers. While this may appear to be true on the surface, it is a false logic because there has to first be a demand for for your restaurant. You can't just open up new churches and expect people to show up, especially when overall demand is on the decline. This why churches tend to flourish in countries/area's where there is a lot of poverty and lower education, some people need believe that the next life they have won't be awful.

Banks are in the business of making money. Somebody has to run the bank, and whether it is a government, a corporation, or a Church, doesn't change that fact.

And hospitals also need to generate revenue. They are not free. The sick/wounded people in the hospital are supposed to be the patients. If a doctor makes people sick, kills them or mistreats them, the doctor can be fired and sued. They're not going to get moved to another hospital. Moreover Doctors deal with real diseases and other medical conditions. They aren't on the street telling people that they need to see a doctor when they don't. Not to mention that the medical community are continually improving their understanding of diseases and medicine/treatments, while Priests are reciting parables from thousands of years ago.

You are right it "could" be a positive statement. I however fail to see how hiring someone from the mafia to do your finances could ever be seen a positive light. It's either a stupid thing to do, or a shady thing to do.

8. aikiMac

Wait a minute -- doesn't the arrogance lie with those who want to change the long-held culture and tradition? I think so!!

This page has links to the amicus briefs of the (ahem, non-arrogant) proponents of the long-held culture and tradition, that were filed with the Ninth Circuit in the recent California Proposition 8 law suit. I haven't read them, but I have to expect that the briefs answer your question from many different angles.

9. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Slavery's got a long-held culture and tradition.

All a long-held culture and tradition means, is that people haven't critically examined it for a long time.

10. komuso

komuso Valued Member

No Aiki Mac it doesn't because no one is trying to change that tradition - and here is the important bit - for those that choose to adhere to it. No one, at least here in oz, is talking about making people do anything. They are talking about allowing people to do something and enjoy rights that many of the rest of us take for granted. These are completely different things. Vaguely alluding to some possible future forcing of the church to marry gay people as a threat is a tribute to the desperation of the argument you are pursuing.

Oh, the link - more of the same dressed up differently.

paul

11. aikiMac

No, they're not. It's impossible to make a new legal right without forcing people to change.

Which briefs did you read?

A fair point. I didn't make it clear: parishes have been closed (more specifically, merged together) for lack of priests, not for lack of parishioners. First the priests were spread thin. Then they were assigned dual parishes on different days. It was a bad situation from the beginning, and the work got to be too much. So, selected buildings were shut down and congregations merged, and priests were reassigned according to the new numbers. The real answer was to just to get more priests in the first place; everybody knows that.

And then someone will say, "If we magically get more priests today and reopen all the closed parishes, we won't necessarily get more congregants." Maybe not, but if the priests were not overworked, couldn't they evangelize better? Couldn't they serve their existing parishioners better? Couldn't they do everything better? And if everything was better, wouldn't tithes go up? Of course the answer is yes, tithes would go up. That's the nature of church work.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  12. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Fixed that for you.

13. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Then the church is a business and it should pay it's taxes. Could mean they have more to worry about than just a few queer folk feeling them up.

14. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

KUDOS

Actually, more and more churches are closing for lack of funding due to lack of followers in the area.

They are not trying to create more, they are looking to cut back

15. 47MartialMan

The church is a business. However, the law looks upon it as a religion first.

16. komuso

komuso Valued Member

Im sorry, how on earth does creating a new legal right force people to change? Particulalry if it only impacts a minority of people. At the end of the day what actual difference will this make to anyone other than the people getting married. It is ALREADY happening in a few parts of the world, and guess what, christianity is still getting on with it's business, and the sun still comes up. Gay people all over the world are ALREADY living the same lives as I do as a straight married person. Once again, the world still turns, and most of us go about our business as usual.

Fundamentally this is just yet another last ditch stand to defend yet another narrow minded anachronism who's time has come.

Oh, and the briefs... until I got bored, which admittedly wasn't long, but longer than you by your own admission.

paul

17. aikiMac

That's sure to be in the appellate briefs. You should read also the dissenting opinion of the appellate case, Perry v. Brown, which is certain to show up somewhere on the internet.
    People whose minds are too small to fit other points of view, or whose hearts are too small to care about other people's points of view, turn me off. I don't have time for your attitude.

18. 47MartialMan

Gay marriages are like Chi/Qi/Ki, politics, and religion.

You have the left or the right and those whom like to defend their belief beyond the scope of logic

19. komuso

komuso Valued Member

In`all honesty Aiki Mac, the problem here with the small mind is not mine, at least not in this case :)

The problem is that you adhere to a philosophical system that is incapable of changing, as it is based in the idea that all that is moral true has been pre-defined for you thousands of years ago. I have changed. I grew up in a place where homsexuality was a huge taboo, thought gay people were wrong and evil, and then by chance ended up working with a massive number of them and changed my mind. They are just the same as everyone else - not even the stuff they get up to in the bedroom is radically different to a whole bunch of straight people do. They just share particular similarities physically. That's it. That's what all of this wierd fuss is about. The fact that you are unable to see the utter absurdity of dis-allowing people to voluntarily undertake a public bonding ritual on this basis is just a teensy bit anachronistic.

But hey, all I have to do is wait. History is well and truly on my side on this one, all of this sort of stuff endsup going the way of the dinosaur in time.

paul

20. aikiMac

You may continue deceiving yourself that you understand it all.
    When someone is too arrogant to state the other side's position properly, I have no interest in a discussion with that person. And you're doing that. I've played the game so many times that I know where it goes, and I don't need to do it anymore.