Christianity, bullying, and gay straight alliances.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Blade96, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

One of my buddies, a very conservative catholic Christian, wrote this as a letter about what our Premier (thats like a governor for you Americans) was endorsing gay straight alliances. The Christian said it would encourage bullying of Christians. I would like to know what you guys think of his letter.

"Dunderdale Targets Minorities

Hate and bullying is wrong, regardless of the victim. Surprisingly, the Conservative Dunderdale government has introduced in the My Gay-Straight Alliance school program. This will only add to the problem of hate and bullying by neglecting and targeting others.

Christianity, like most faiths, teaches we must love all people but not necessarily approve of all their actions. Some of Christ’s closest friends were prostitutes and tax collectors, but He did not applaud their sins. Christ loved them so much that He wanted them to be in full communion with Him.

The Catholic Church, the original and universal Christian Church, teaches in the Catechism: “Basing itself on Sacred Scripture ... tradition has always declared that homosexual acts are ... contrary to the natural law. ... The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will ... ”

Other churches agree such as the Salvation Army, which preaches in its Positional Statement: “... biblical standards calls for chastity outside of heterosexual marriage and faithfulness within it. ... we are committed to proclaiming ... transformation...”

Although Christians love all people, regardless of their background, we are often hated and bullied by individuals and governments alike. Churches are often vandalized. Leaders are mocked. In debate people are attacked for their private faith and not their public arguments. Seasonal greetings are deemed unmentionable. Believers are looked at with puzzlement. Rights to freedom of speech and religion are ignored.

This discrimination often results from non-believers or left-wing activists purposely misrepresenting Christianity. The My Gay-Strait Alliance program will further disseminate their propaganda. Consequently, Christian children will face more hatred and bullying. Unjust discrimination of homosexuals is already rejected by society, however offenses against Christians mostly go unchallenged and will now be enshrined in the school system.

Schools were deformed with the principle that they should not be teaching morality. The My Gay-Straight Alliance program is not following this principle as homosexuality is clearly a hot button moral issue. The government is trampling on parent’s rights to protect their children from offensive propaganda and state indoctrination. Parents may have the option to remove their children from certain offensive activities or classes, but the propaganda of the My Gay-Straight Alliance program which falls outside of the set curriculum would be unavoidable.

If the government continues to run the My Gay-Straight Alliance program, it must implement programs to better explain Christianity and prevent anti-Christian hatred and bullying. In addition, they should provide financial support to parents who choose not use public schools and homeschool or use private schools that adhere to their philosophies."

What I told him and others who agreed with him, is that they are basically playing the victim when its not them who gets called the 3 letter F word and commit suicide because people won't leave them alone and its not them who are being denied their right to marry and live as they want. I told him I'm a survivor of bullying and I know what is bullying.

btw this is a reason why i wasn't on map for a few days hehe.

What say you?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  2. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

So much for the casting the first stone part of the book of old jewish fairytales.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I find it very hard to conceive of any christian organisation in Canada as being opressed in any way shape or form

He sounds like a douche

4. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

Yeah, dude's going to have to provide some hard evidence of anti-Christian oppression more serious than internet trolling. Otherwise he just looks like he's weakly playing the victim to try and grab the spotlight.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I read up until the part where you mention the bullying of Christians and then had a chuckle.

6. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

The references to 'left wing propaganda' etc. clearly indicate a douchebag. As for the state pushing a left wing agenda, he's obviously living in that scary paranoid alternative universe that right wingers seem to inhabit.
    Homosexuality and religion, which in reality have very little to do with each other shouldn't be an issue. By making it one, he makes it clear who is really being bullied here.
    He should be painted pink and made to eat a penis-shaped rainbow lollipop in public as a punishment for his douchebaggery.

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Generally I don't care about the church but this bit is what made me laugh a bit

Ignoring the hypocrisy in complaining about indoctrination and propoganda, I'm just getting quite bored of this argument about "parent's rights." They apparently have the choice to pull them out the class so its not an issue. It's stupid, because its the equivalent of taking your kid out of sex education classes and expecting it to keep that chaste and innocent until they're 30, but it means parents still have the control.

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

The whole thing made me laugh. If I didn't laugh, I probably would have cried :/

9. Blade96

you guys are right. Involved in politics, he's a douche. His beliefs are douche like. Not him, but the beliefs. He, as I said, is quite friendly.

10. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Christians discriminated against, murdered, raped, tortured, indoctrinated, enslaved, and warred against everyone they could get in their sights for how long? And because of one little change in the school system aimed at reducing the hatred toward and bullying of LGBTQ people they're getting their panties in a bunch? Please.

While I disagree with your friend's clearly fallacious thinking I will say that I don't believe overt expression is the best way to change people's minds. Subtly weaving it into stories and such would be a better way to do it I think.Seeing a black kid in my book while I was doing my math exercises in public school probably did more to prevent me being racist than a black power group ever did.

11. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I did not realize Christians were being bullied since ancient Roman era.

If anything, the Jews were more bullied in modern era than Christians

12. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Not without good reason. They're anti-bacon ;)

13. 47MartialMan

Oh Uh, careful....we do not want to tread on any culture :cool:

14. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Culture is an invention of the mind. While we may treat it as real through certain social practices it is, in truth, a human fiction. I am not treading on anything because there is not anything real to tread on. Treading on a religion is like sitting on someone's imaginary friend.

15. Blade96

what worked for me was actually meeting a black family when i was a 6 or 7 year old (there arent many in Newfoundland) and they were really good, letting me feel their hair, ask if they had the same blood color as mine, and questions like that. Now that's the way to treat kids. :)

GSA as I can see could serve the same purpose, kids meet an actual gay person and find out they aren't any different from us. Only thing different is the gender of their significant other.

16. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

That's a massively eurocentric view. There's widespread persecution of Christians in Africa and Asia.

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Neither of which is anywhere near Canda

18. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Honestly I really don't get how people in the west can say that there's this war on Christianity and paint any effort to permit or tolerate groups which do not support a given idea of Christianity as "attacks on religion" when it's so bad in Africa and some parts of Asia. That's completely disregarding the fact that freedom of religion applies both to a lack of religion as well as a religion which is not the same as theirs. It's massively hypocritical and intellectually cowardly and it's contrary to the honesty, self-examination and pursuit of wisdom actually supported in the Bible.
    I don't understand how, in this age, people can be so entrenched in such a small, skewed worldview.

19. 47MartialMan

Indeed. But is it in-so much as in comparison to the Jews?

20. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Oh come on, anti-semitism is such an old fashioned prejudice. These days the jews are just your friendly hollywood studio owne.... damn, I'm racist :eek:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012