Christian Bashing...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Wali, Feb 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wali

Wali Valued Member

Many of the threads in this part of the forum are very Anti-Christian... The Bible this.. Christ that.. etc...

What do people here think of the other major religions in the world... Judaism, Islam, Hiduism, etc...

2. uki

uki Banned Banned

religion is a tool of weak men to sway control over even weaker men. it is nothing more than a system of control based on fear, consequence, and punishment. naturally weak men will do anything to maintain control, even to the extent of killing in the name of a religion. a true person follows the way... the path is free, mysterious, and wonderful. religion's are spiteful, enslaving, and monotonous, it is the truth all dismembered and re-arranged confusingly so that the weak cannot understand or benefit from it. :)

3. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

I am a bit more midline-which means that both ends don't like listening to me. While there can be good in organized religion, much like a loaded weapon, the intent is more in the user then the gun.

Our past has made a point of using culture to seperate each other into "us" vrs "them" and religion has the ability to be a huge seperator. Which is unfortunate because they are more similar then they are different really. But as far as Christianity specifically, it saddens me to see my own religion being taken over by people who are dogmatic and fundamentalist and who deny real history and the history of their own religion and religous texts.

But the extreme atheist side is getting as bothersomely tiresome as the extreme fundamental view. They always use the same three arguements over and over.

4. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of the internet. where every trendy atheist wanna be with a couple of semesters of philosophy claims to be a master of "logic". The sad part is that most of them simply refuse to accept that intelligent, well-rounded people can have faith in a highr power. Instead, as uki managed to say, we are "weak willed" and "afraid".

5. Radok

Radok Love myself better than U

^yeah, that's pretty much how I view the people here. A few true intellectuals, the rest just jumping on the bandwagon and thinking there the next Aristotle.

6. Brother

Brother New Member

Ah Nietzsche, you have told me so much. :D

I am Anti-Religious, and I am not afraid to admit so. However, I don't bash the religion. Just because I do not agree with it doesn't mean I bash it. You have your views and I have mine, but are right, there are many "bashers" out there.

Eastern philosophies (better word than "religion", IMO) I agree with more, but again, not fully.

EDIT:

I love this thread. You guys accuse us of bashing religion, yet do you not see that you bash US for OUR beliefs?

"A few intellectuals..."? Whose opinion is this? Yours? While I do agree that there are many bandwagoners and such, there are others who simply aren't religious because they just AREN'T. I don't claim to be the next Aristotle. I won't bash you, so please don't bash me back.

Believe it or not, I am still open to ideas. I am not afraid to admit that I am young and my parents, who are extremely religious, force me to go to church every Sunday. I sit there, I don't agree with it, but I try to understand and accept others' views.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  7. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

this happens every once in a while here...I am quite used to it... Soon you'll see other religions bashed up...
    -TkdWarrior-

8. Beowolf

Beowolf Valued Member

Hey, i'm anti-religous but I understand religous people. The crazy religous peeps are like that wierd uncle no one talks about. The moderate christians get very little voice. Anti-religous peeps see only the radicals, and bash the hell out of em'. The Moderatly religous need a voice. It would reduce the bashing, I beleive.

9. WatchfulAbyss

WatchfulAbyss Active Member

To be honest, I think that would help alot, atleast for some.......

10. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

I don't really care about other religions besides Buddhism. Studied several philosophies, ideologies, and religions and don't agree with many except the philosophies and ideologies I deem compatible with Buddhism. Elements of every religion are complementary but most other well established religions have to many contradictions for me to believe them much. If others find happiness in their faith whether it is religious or ideological or philosophical good for them. But I despise radicals in any belief system who wish to force their beliefs on me such as Osama bin Laden or Pat Robertson.

11. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Ach

Religion bashing is like style bashing. If you are comfortable with your style, peoples negative comments won't mean much to you.

This is why you come off as being arrogant.

12. yodaofcoolness

yodaofcoolness New Member

Beowolf what do you mean by, "crazy religious"?

Do you mean 'crazy' like they are doing dangerous things?
    do you mean crazy religious like very religious?
    or do you mean it like they keep preaching to you and wont leave you the hell alone?

13. brahman

brahman Banned Banned

i see religion as something designed to help you come up with philosophies in your own life. many religions have some good ideals about how to live life, what is right and what is wrong. plus there is finding spirituality. most people think its a path to find god, but i think of it more as a way to help yourself feel conected/one with everything, so you can have the feeling that everything is going to be okay in your life.

there is a difference between spirituality and finding god/brahman/whatever. evryone should have some spirituality in there life.

14. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

From what I understand Aristotle was a Deist, not an atheist.

15. yodaofcoolness

yodaofcoolness New Member

W/E Aristotle was, the point was made.

[EDIT]- GangrelChilde, I don't know what kind of stuff your into, but please change your avatar. Im getting tired of seeing thoes guys kiss.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  16. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Uhm, no. You can put me on ignore, but my avatar stays. It doesn't violate the TOS, so you'll just have to grow up, just like my sig says :) Your profile indocates that you're in your twenties. Get over it. I guarantee if it were two chicks or a Bullshido-esque avatar with asian chicks with big boobs bouncing around, you'd be drooling.

And sadly, many of the great philosophers... they were religious. Go figure.

Actually, we rarely see other religions bashed. I've never seen more than one thread about Islam; never seen negative threads about Buddhism, Judaism, Shinto, animism, reconstructionism, paganism, Wicca, etc. It's pretty much just the Christians who get bashed.

17. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

cos its mainly the christians that cant tell the difference between a metaphor and a historical event

18. uki

uki Banned Banned

interesting, i never even read any of nietzsche's works. these are just my natural thoughts on religion based one my lifes experience. most of my understanding just comes from simply watching the world unfold around me day after day... if you really think about it, people are only suffering because the are afraid. afraid to die, afraid to get sick, afraid to go broke, afraid to lose family, afraid of what people think, afraid of how they look in the mirror... these people are weak(in the sense of mental will power to change their views of themselves). religions offer a place for all these lost sheep to fit in, except it seems all the religions have some god who will either punish or reward you based on your life... so religion hasn't relieved the suffering of the individual seeking to be liberated, they have only added to the fear. now these people are afraid of being punished by a god. fear is the root here. why is it jesus taught that the kingdom of heaven comes from within? enlightenment cannot be gained by attending church or going to a mosque, or a synaogue(spelling??), enlightenment comes from self-realization... the power to transform your life is within you. the kindom of heaven is within you. this is what is mean't by standing in the light of truth. adam and eve hid after the eating of the fruit. this is the symbolization of how the mind of man is hiding from the presence of the lord walking in the midst of the garden. they were hiding because they were afraid, afraid that god would punish them for disobeying. it is a metaphor to explain the suffering of mankind... we are hiding from the divine presence which is within ourselves. we are still ashamed of who we are... mankind has been hiding from the truth, and others have been preying on the people in the midst of the fray, feeding off of the fear and insecurities that we all face everyday. :)

19. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

See, and there's the blatant disrespect of that whole "faith" thing.

Oh, yeah, by the way...the entire first half of the Bible, the Old Testament, if you will, is *almost* a word-for-word equivalent of the TORAH. Kosher laws, Leviticus, circumcision... all those stories in the Old Testament are also major parts of the Torah. So are the Jews just as dumb bow, too? Hey, it's also got a lot of similarities to the Koran... why not start slaming the Muslims?

I'll tell you why... it's Politically Correct today to Christian-bash without any common sense whatsoever. But hey, keep bashing the old testament; by doing so you're bashing three religions at once. Nice job!

20. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Yeeeah.
    Cause all the moderate Christians out there in the two or three largest denominations mean nothing so long as you see a few fundamentalists. You are painting an entire religion based upon four or five people on the internet and the media, cause you know that media is always an entirely accurate portrayal of a phenomenon. I think we have all been able to establish that I am very much a proponant for evolutionary theory, that I believe the Bible is not ment to be taken literally, and that it is historically inaccurate. But because I also identify myself as Anglican, I am a drooling moron?

Sure. What a way to make your case. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.