Choosing a style

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Cooncat, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Cooncat

Cooncat New Member

There are a few threads on this already, but since the question has a different answer for everyone, I guess I should start another one. Heh, it'll be my first post here too.

A friend of mine is taking up Kendo, and that's got me thinking that I'd like to learn a martial art myself, though I'd prefer to start with something that focuses mostly on the unarmed aspect. Unfortunately, I live in a little hick-town in upstate New York, so there aren't a lot of schools around, and they're mostly mainstream martial arts like Tae Kwon Do and Tai Chi. I'm almost 19 though, so at this age, who knows where I'll be in another year.

Whoof, all that said, I'm wondering what style to choose. Like I said, I'm almost 19, I'm 5'8", and about 130 lbs. I'd prefer a striking art over a grappling one, something with a focus on kicks preferably. Tae Kwon Do does actually sound appealing, but I've read that it's mostly taught as a "sport" martial art. I'd definitely prefer something practical over a competition art. In any case, from what I've read, cross-training is worthwhile anyway, so I don't plan to lock myself into any one style. I guess I'm looking for a good starting point, to maybe progress into other things. Jeet Kune Do is one that I'd definitely like to try, so maybe some tips on an art that complements that one? Thanks in advance!

2. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

You couldn't go wrong with JKD if you decide to take that up, you'll end up doing everything and not being limited to one style, so you won't have to cross train since you basically ARE cross training. There's much more to JKD than that though.

Generally, the arts that complement each other IMO are striking/grappling arts.

Boxing, TKD/Kickboxing/Muay Thai, Judo/BJJ/Greco roman wrestling

Notice how I included some kicking arts with boxing as well as grappling? I've seen excellent boxers torn to pieces by a good kicker and an Ok boxer. They get very confused with the kicks, start to block them with their hands and do weird stuff, which allows the kickboxer to throw some punches at them.

Muay Thai, BJJ, Arnis (weapons)

The combinations are endless....

3. Marku

Marku Banned Banned

Try something like Taekwondo/Hapkido. ^_^

im also 18 and about 5'8 and i havent started officaly yet.

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Nothing wrong with getting a little background in a mainstream MA, then moving onto something else when you've mastered a few basics. One thing with arts that focus on kicks is that the hand techniques can get neglected. If you take TKD, try and cross in an art that focuses on hand techniques too, like boxing or something.

5. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

If you're looking at stricking, then I think that Tae Kwon Do is definitely the way to go, but I'm biased as that is what I do. I've only been doing it for about 5 months, and I think it's fantastic. The sport/self defence orientation depends on the school. We have a pretty even balance, and there is of course an overlap, many things will work in both situations.

6. Cooncat

Cooncat New Member

Thanks

This should be plenty to set me on my way. I recently found out that there's a Tae Kwon Do class taught at the college I'll be attending in the fall, so I think I may have my starting point right there. Thanks for all the help.

7. Jim

Jim New Member

Good luck - let us know how it goes.