Choosing 2: Judo, Fung Fu, Aikido

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by worstdayever, Jul 1, 2019.

1. worstdayever

worstdayever New Member

Im a 34 year old guy in average shape, looking into getting into martial arts since i moved to a new town and there seems to be a good amount of choices. Im not looking to compete, just to learn something practical and fun. There are a couple kung fu dojos,1 judo dojo, and 1 aikido dojo that are walking distance from me. Iv been reading a LOT about the aikido debate and don't want this thread to turn into that. Because there is a kung fu option of 1 class per week, that opens up the rest of the week to judo/aikido. Unless those 2 aren't worth it, in that case theres another kung fo dojo with multiple days per week. If you were going to choose 2, which would they be?

Thank you

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Go visit all of them and see what you like?
    Read up on the teachers/coaches (which is a lot easier due to social media now).

axelb, Pretty In Pink and Mitch like this.
  3. worstdayever

worstdayever New Member

Thank you for the reply but i was wondering which 2 compliment eachother. Iv already visited the dojos. Thats how i narrowed them down and got their schedules.

Iv always liked aikido but never looked into it until recently. Some people consider aikido a complete waste of time and i can see the logic. Then again, i can see how it would work in some instances.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

What style is the Kung Fu school? That also makes a difference.

Also, personally... I would initially focus on just one. And then go from there.

Otherwise 1x striking 1x grappling.

axelb, aaradia and Monkey_Magic like this.
  5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I have to echo Mushroom's post. I would stick to one style at first. Get a foundation in the basics before adding another.

And I also would like to know what type of Kung Fu School.

Any links to websites for the school's you are considering?

(Also, just for future reference. A Kung Fu school would be a Kwoon, not a Dojo. Dojo is a Japanese term.:))

axelb likes this.
  6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

It depends on what you find most fun, aikido imho is largely useless in a real fight but you are 34 how often are you going to really get into a fight at your age?

If you enjoy it train it it will help you get fitter at the very least.

Normally training in something once a week means very slow progress and is demoralising as you watch fellow students who train more often pass you by.

But if the Kung Fu school is only open one day a week the training should be such that you all progress at the same level so no one gets left behind.

From personal experience grappling arts are more complex and require more tactile partner training so if I had to I would chose striking one day a week and grappling two or three but that's a personal opinion.

axelb likes this.
  7. worstdayever

worstdayever New Member

Thank you!

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Do the one you enjoyed the most! All of those martial arts aren't exactly high on my list of efficiency in fighting but as long as you're not fussed about that then what's the problem?

Monkey_Magic likes this.