Choking is Deemed Safe (ish)

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Pretty In Pink, Apr 10, 2020.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Nope I was having flashbacks to the 60s in the deep south when I first read that idea

Yep the possibility of underlying health risks make the use of chokes difficult as you say not to mention put a single officer at risk getting that close to a subject, it's normally go in mob handed and pin or if alone distance and taser much safer and less risky for the officer

David Harrison likes this.
  2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Not to mention the police approach seems to be if in a 1 on 1 or 2 on 1 situation to control the subject at distance rather than close range as it's safer for the officer, all their tools allow this; spray, taser, even the baton allows distance from the subject this would go completely against this and asks the officer to get really close to a violent assailant in order to subdue them

Shmook likes this.
  3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

That's another dodgy thing about the study. Presumably there were not many people with COPD, high risk of stroke, severe heart problems or advanced osteoporosis in that questionnaire.

Some figures regarding the collapsing points of structures in the neck:

Strangulation Injuries - StatPearls - NCBI Bookshelf

A case study of carotid dissection sustained during BJJ class caused by RNC:

Internal Carotid Artery Dissection in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I honestly cannot work out if you're serious or lockdown has got you so bored you're arguing crazy points for the hell of it. :)

You mean literally like a dog-catching pole?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Bad news....for the cops.

Not taking the mickey, but youre also like 7ft tall and 45kg. So you could just rabbit and be gone before their magnum boots leave the ground.

Shmook likes this.