[Choi Kwang Do] What's Choi Kwang Do?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Intan86, Feb 23, 2004.

1. morphus

morphus Doobrey

This much is true, i've been there & oh my god he's fast. The vid's are not speeded up.

2. kungfufighter

kungfufighter Banned Banned

God he's fast, but I've seen faster. Anyone ever ehard of tommy Carruthers?

3. Dave Rees

Dave Rees Old Git!

No who is he? & also remember Grandmaster Choi's age!

4. morphus

morphus Doobrey

There's always someone faster....

5. kungfufighter

kungfufighter Banned Banned

my god...you do not know tommy carruthers?! heh, JK dude. Here, Tommycarruthers.com, plus i beleived Bruce lee was faster then that.

6. Dave Rees

Dave Rees Old Git!

I'll check him out, but whats the big hang up with speed anyway?!

7. Dave Rees

Dave Rees Old Git!

Just been to Tommy Carruthers' web site & yes he is VERY fast, I am impressed, but he is much younger than Crandmaster Choi & the punches he executes are different, but I am not taking anything away from him he certainly has my respect.

8. TrueCelt

TrueCelt New Member

Just watched some of the Tommy Carruthers video clips and yes he is fast. Now I don't mean any offence by the following comments. My daughter asked what I was watching and described it like movie martial arts, mentioning Jakie Chan. It would be intersting to see him deliver the techniques he used on a focus mitt or on a bag. As there is a perceptional difference in speed when not having power behind the technique and making contact.

I have trained with someone who did act in films and some of what he has used in class looked great, but didn't stand up in the effectiveness category.

GM Choi is devistating when he delivers techniques and fast with it. I myself would not be able to get out of the way even if I saw it coming. Then again that is the sign of an effective technique.

From earlier in this thread (just read it). Some of the more advanced techniques, spinning, double, consecutive... kicks are are for helping train the body with balance shift and control. The problem of access to the written syllabus is that the words used mean different things to different people, depending on their background. So having an instructor discuss and show is more effective in gaining an uderstanding of techniques. This applies to many MA's and most practical things.

All experience can be used on the path to enlightenment.

9. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

Eminem sucks. Bands like the Dead Kennedys and Marilyn Manson actually say stuff with meaning. Eminem is just MTV-style mindless crap.

10. amiller127

amiller127 Chief Instructor

To each his own I suppose. Could probably argue the crap out of your comments, but to be honest this is the CKD thread, so why bring Eminem up???

Congratulations on the most off topic post on this forum so far :bang:

BTW "Its all relative to the size of your steeple.
    You cant see the forest for the trees
    You cant smell your own S**t on your knees"

Or something along the lines of that. Your damn right. Marilyn Manson actually says stuff that has meaning.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  11. dan moore

dan moore Banned Banned

DAT,

Just a question for ya... Which Wing Chun, Kali-Silat and Streetwise Jujitsu do you learn? The Wing Chun that people learn around the world is different in EVERY school, depending on the instructor's preferences. CKD may not publish its curriculum to the outside public, but at least it has a standardized curriculum.

Just wondering, on a scale from 1 to 10, how angry are you?

12. Yudanja

Yudanja Euphoric

I was just wondering why Choi's joint's and ligaments were damaged due to his TKD training??

I have been training in ITF Taekwon-Do for 22 years.. and i know many practitioners who have been training just as long or longer.. and none of us have any problems with our knees or our joints, etc.

We are always taught that you should be relaxed during the execution of a technique...tensing only at the moment of impact.. following thru WITHOUT locking the elbow/knee, etc. (Knee should always remain slightly bent... same with elbow...)

This is nothing new... why does he advertise it as such??? Taekwon-Do does not hurt you if its practiced correctly..... Just wondering... Not trying to start an argument or anyting, i just want to know because everytime i read one of his ads I chuckle when i come across that part.

13. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

... probably didn't sufficiently warm up prior to stretching. ;)

Back in the day archaic methods of stretching may have more to do with joint and ligament damage than the execution of techniques.

14. Yudanja

Yudanja Euphoric

I used to get thirsty after a workout. :) I need to invent a style where ya dont sweat.. lol.. now THAT would be something.. Couch Kwon Do

15. Scaramouch

Scaramouch Lost Soul

I think there might be a small element of propaganda, but GMC started instructing TKD in the army under Gen Choi in the 60's when you could imagine the training methods were probably much more intense and severe compared to ITF TKD as it is taught in the US from 80's to the present day. As you rightly point out many MAs since 60s-70s have moved away from damaging techniques involving joint hyper-extension, not just CKD.

16. morphus

morphus Doobrey

A lot of TKD styles now do not lock out... some of them having only changed quite recently. However i do know that there are styles out there that lock out & some that don't teach the students at lower ranks that this is harmful. I know because i've seen them & had people come to me stating exactly that they left that style because of damage from locking out.
    Grand Master Kwang Jo Choi was one of the first to question thirty years ago the locking out of the arm & legs in a TKD technique.
    Kwang Jo Choi was a pioneer of TKD & then became a pioneer of his own style. That does not mean TKD itself hasn't moved on at all.

I am a CKD instructor but my observations are not geared towards getting more students as i currently don't own a class. I also study other styles, i have no pitch to battle with TKD or axe to grind.
    The statements made in some CKD advertising is prob' out of date now. But it still applies to instructors or students of other styles that even today are still locking out.

CKD also makes other statements about it's own art & comparrisons to other arts some seem quite bold but you only find out what's right, wrong, good or bad when you study CKD & hear it all from the horses mouth.

17. TrueCelt

TrueCelt New Member

It has been the case that in some styles the joints are locked out and I remember this from almost 30 years ago when I did karate. Yet at that time in competion techniquies were not as full in their devlivery due to the need to score points. So it ended up being in some ways rounded.

In those days the training was in many way by todays standards brutal. They to have evolved to more rounded techniques to reduce some of the potential for damage. The greatest risk of injury was always in competion not the dojo. I have damage to my knee from a lockout injury. The old hyper extention.

GMC spent most of his days training, demonstrating and teaching often on a very busy schedule to promote TKD. Therefore due to the number of hours trainning often with little rest the small amounts of micro damage over time took there toll. There is the likelihood of a degree of propaganda in some of the advertising if only looked at from todays standard and locations. The conditions in Korea were by all standards very brutal. I have heard GMC talk of this and it fits in with what I know of post war Korea.

Choi Kwang Do does not claim to be unique in avoiding lockouts of the joints, but it does differ in trying to promote health in the trainning. By discouraging students from training evry day due to the accumulation of micro injures over time that can lead to serious injure. This is now much the same message that althletes get. Gone are the days of training hard every day, but 30-40 years ago it was the harder you train the better you are. Pain was to be endured and pushed through. Injuries ingnored or you were a mummy's boy. (No offence intended to females) Thankfully many things have changed for the better. Without your health you can not train in whatever style you choose.

18. creswell

creswell New Member

Good and well thought out post TrueCelt.

19. Yudanja

Yudanja Euphoric

I just remember reading a lot of his old advertisements, and a few articles/interviews that were done on him in Taekwondo Times magazine years ago.
    He made TKD sound like is was a very dangerous art..............to the practitioner. LOL.

Yes.. TKD is ever evolving.. and each style is evolving in its own way. Fortunately the ITF's have included a lot of scientific and biomechanical research into its current technique.. one thing eliminated was "full extension" of the elbow or knee.

20. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Yudanja - "Yes.. TKD is ever evolving.. and each style is evolving in its own way. Fortunately the ITF's have included a lot of scientific and biomechanical research into its current technique.. one thing eliminated was "full extension" of the elbow or knee"

Exellent.
    I would like to point out that some styles only became aware of the biomechanics because of Kwang Jo Choi & his research/knowledge. That is not to say everyone, some found their own way.