[Choi Kwang Do] Ralph Allison

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Dead_pool, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Except that he's now claiming to have studied kickboxing, karate, jujutsu and judo, so those of us who have legitimately trained in those arts are indirectly associated with this because he doesn't want to admit what he's been doing for the last couple of decades or so...

2. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Thats not good, to say the least. "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" so they say.

3. Aegis

Youtube recommended this for me today and it reminded me of this thread.

Apparently this is sparring...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb_TEHMhvcU"]YouTube - CHI COMBAT SYSTEM - Shield Sparring[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I....seriously, I....just......what, the......I...............................I just do not kno what to say..

How is it possible that absolute drizzling shiznit like this manages to still exist in todays Martial Art community? It is an effing disgrace

5. Hannibal

Wait it gets better....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tokUAp8RnYE&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tokUAp8RnYE&feature=related[/ame]

Sweet Jeebers......

Edit to add:

Ok, rather than just post and shake my head,

1) Loose and ineffectual guard
    2) Easily circumvented blocking
    3) Lousy punches and marginally worse kicks
    4) Bad timing

That is for both - including the one supposed to be the instructor

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Right I can see the pad work thing as being fine.
    It's training. We do something similar in Shidokan with kick shields.
    It's fine that the people in the vid don't seem very good at it (although some are black belts apparently!).
    I'm sure we all do stuff in training that isn't very good and isn't very skilled.

But...why oh why would you put it on Youtube to promote your club?
    Why wouldn't you stop the session...give a little pep talk about actually laying into the pads like you mean it..and then carry on?
    It just doesn't show the club in a good light.

And why oh why doesn't the instructor look around at how other people hit kick shields and learn from them?
    Like this perhaps?...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCpcN7IcLns&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCpcN7IcLns&feature=related[/ame]

7. Hannibal

It is possible - in fact likely - that they are blissfully unaware fo how terrible they actually are or how ineffectual what they are doing is.

Like I said before, it is a disgrace

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

In the age of the internet that's just not acceptable IMHO.
    If you can't look at your students doing your drills and then see Iain Abernethy's drills and see the gulf between them then you have no business teaching martial arts.
    You clearly lack the coaching ability needed to make people better at what they are doing.

9. Hannibal

I am reminded of Festinger and his five conditions for belief continuing after exposure or failure:

1) A belief must be held with deep conviction and it must have some relevance to action, that is, to what the believer does or how he behaves.

2)The person holding the belief must have committed himself to it; that is, for the sake of his belief, he must have taken some important action that is difficult to undo. In general, the more important such actions are, and the more difficult they are to undo, the greater is the individual's commitment to the belief.

3) The belief must be sufficiently specific and sufficiently concerned with the real world so that events may unequivocally refute the belief.

4) Such undeniable disconfirmatory evidence must occur and must be recognized by the individual holding the belief.

5)The individual believer must have social support. It is unlikely that one isolated believer could withstand the kind of disconfirming evidence that has been specified. If, however, the believer is a member of a group of convinced persons who can support one another, the belief may be maintained and the believers may attempt to proselyte or persuade nonmembers that the belief is correct.

10. Aegis

Ok, I decided to ask why the shield exercise was called sparring, and I got this reply:

By this incredibly loose definition, everything in martial arts training would be "sparring", including someone who does nothing but kata every session...

11. Aegis

Ok, I decided to ask why the shield exercise was called sparring, and I got this reply:

By this incredibly loose definition, everything in martial arts training would be "sparring", including someone who does nothing but kata every session...

12. Hannibal

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2011
  13. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

There has been a major split in the CKDMAI and several recent schools and instructors. Without going into it in detail, HQ has not upheld their end of some promises that were made to school owners. Therefore the owners have split off and started either their own systems or their own CKD organizations. Some are in the UK and several schools in Michigan have broken away.

14. Aegis

All well and good, but it doesn't address the points made in the previous post, i.e.

Effectively he completely left CKD out of his training history and claims instead to have blended a range of other arts together into this new system which looks pretty much exactly like CKD.

It strikes me as false advertising at best.

15. Hannibal

And it still doesn't hide the fact he sucks

16. amiller127

amiller127 Chief Instructor

Im going to second that. Mr Lad is definatly one of the TOP CKD instructors in the UK and World. He is very talented at performing the art, a very good instructor and gives a great class. I managed to visit a few years back and was impressed. He is also a top guy, humble and not caught up in an ego. So basically the EXACT opposite of Ralph Allison.

17. amiller127

I dont think this is relevant when it comes to RA. There were a few big issues behind him leaving where he was clashing with other CKD instructors and letting his ego get the better of him. That preceeded him leaving. From what ive heard from people who know him, Ralph is not completly connected to reality when it comes to his actions and how he sees himself.

18. amiller127

This is **** poor shield drills performed very very very badly. I wont comment on the kids doing the drills, but the adults have no power, penetration, body movement, guard etc etc etc.

I could spend an hour on that one clip listing the things wrong with it.

I have ten year olds that can hit the shields with more power and intensity than some of the adults here.

But, this isnt the students fault. Its bad, very bad teaching filtering down from Ralph Allison. Watch Grandmaster Choi or ANY half decent Choi student on a punch bag and its nothing like this. It comes from someone who doesnt care about the quality of students they produce. It wouldnt be difficult to get these people to improve what they are doing tenfold but it seems Ralph is either content to be paid for worse than mediocrity, OR he has swallowed his own BS so much to the point he actually believes it. I dont know the man all that well, but I reckon its the latter. He truly does believe his own hype and misses out his own failings and limitations. I had a conversation with an instructor that trained with him, and Ralph told him that he had modified his heel kick to work with the ball of the foot as Ralph had the required flexibility and "ability" to do so.

I bit my toungue publicaly when he was in Choi Kwang Do, but I was so very relieved when he left. The man was an embarrasment to the art. Very glad to see the back of him from CKD, but I feel sorry for his students paying good money to have such poor tuition.

19. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Understood sir, I've heard many different things and understand your comments. PM me if you want to talk more about the situation in greater detail over here....

20. sensiblebloke

sensiblebloke New Member

choi kwang do (the delusion continues)

Yes , dale we have seen your 10 year olds on your website - "impressive" (NOT) . Maybe you should explain why choi kwang do teaches (what they call) "close range techniques" that actually don`t work in real life ?

How about this : dale teaches his "great" students if an attacker grabs him from behind , he bends down , grabs the foot of the attacker and then sends him flying behind him . Wow !

Anyone with half a brain would of course immediately recognize that :

A ) A smaller defender would never be able to bend down if held tightly from behind
    B ) Even IF the defender was able to bend down he`d leave the attacker lying behind him with the other leg able to kick the defender`s spine.

Well done , dale for teaching such great stuff to your great students (who obviously haven`t got a clue ; otherwise they`d run a mile from choi kwang do and such irresponsible teaching ) !

There are many of such "clever" moves that dale miler teaches to his (mostly) kids in class. But the sorry truth is that dale rubbishes anyone who leaves that sad organization choi kwang do.

And every time he does people realize that choi isn`t such a great art . I just feel sorry for anyone practicing this nonsense as they will get a rude awakening should they ever try this in a real situation.

Off to bed now as people like dale and choi just bore me to tears.

:zzz:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011