[Choi Kwang Do] Choi Kwang Do

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by LilBunnyRabbit, Jun 29, 2002.

1. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Okay, due to various problems with the last thread (which it isn't necessary to go into) I've started this one afresh.

If anyone has any questions about Choi, or criticisms, complaints (so long as they're actually reasoned out and not just insults) then please post them up here and I (I think I'm still the only Choi student here) will answer them to the best of my ability.

2. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Re: Choi Kwang Do

Hi! New on the block so bare with me, I too am a instructor/student of CHOI KWANG DO and i wil also help with any enquiries and so forth. :D

3. Jack

Jack Valued Member

:)

I was just wondering, since Choi Kwan Do is a modern editation of an older art, does CKD have forms? And if so, how much are they emphasised in study?

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

We have patterns rather than forms, which are essentially combinationations of basic techniques repeated in one direction from each side at junior level, and then in four directional rotation from each side at senior level. Usually they're called cardiovascular, since one of the main aims of the patterns is to work on cardiovascular fitness and stamina, the other main aim is simply to work on stringing techniques together in ways such that the student will learn to shift their bodyweight correctly to attain maximum power from each technique. A lot of classes will begin with around twenty minutes of cardio after the stretch as a warm up.

5. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Interesting.

Also, how does Choi Kwan Do fight? For example, Taekwondo uses a lot of high kicks and is also a linear art, whilst Kung Fu use a mix of hand and low kicks with circular methods.

6. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

High kicks are taught almost exclusively to show off, and drag in new students (we're big on that part of things), downwards kick, crescent kick and twisting kick are the only exceptions and these are taught at senior levels only. Choi is a very close striking art, I've actually sparred with another student in a phone box, but it works just as well at a distance. Most students find their own preferred distance and style, whether it be using lots of waist-high kicks or close in body punches. In general though Choi involves practical techniques, both linear and circular, and a lot of angling off your opponent to set up the next technique. Hard to actually say that there is a specific fighting style for the art as a whole, people just use the techniques as tools adapted to themselves.

7. morphus

morphus Doobrey

ckd

I'd like to add, if i may, that choi kwang do can be practiced by anyone, young or old, boy or girl, large or small. All kicks are performed at the practictioners own ability/flexibility, kicks are aimed low(generally) - knee, groin, perhaps ribs; not everyone has great flexibilty including myself and i teach the art. We practice all ranges kicking, striking, punching, close range (and some groundwork - although we prefere not to be down there).
    Combining all ranges can make it a formidable art.

8. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Elaborating on that a little, a while ago in class I was used by my instructor for a confidence builder. I'm about eleven stone, and a decent size. I was told to simply stand upright while a ten year old girl at most half my weight was to perform and inwards punch to my chest at full power (through a focus mitt which I was holding against myself). Somehow that little ten year old got enough impact into that one punch to throw me down onto the floor and wind me. Part of it, admittedly, was sheer shock that somehow she got her full bodyweight behind the technique, but that is one powerful technique, and she was a yellow belt.

The oldest person practicing Choi at the moment is, I believe, eighty-six years old and still running strong.

9. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Hey ckd...I thought you said you didn't do groundwork? Thats why you threatened to go along to a groundwork seminar with me but you never managed to make it...all for good reasons of course :D

10. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

That sounds really cool, CKD. Do you have a website or something on the art I can read?

I know it's prolly a rare art. I know how ya feel. I do TKD, but it's called Kwok Wu Chuen TKD. It has WTF everything (forms, step sparring, ect) till brown belt (3rd gup/kyu). Then for red (2nd, and 1st gup), we learn 2 Shaolin Kung fu forms, and 2 weapon (bo) forms. We also do Chin Na self defense.

Of course, I did Tang Soo Do for a year and a half before TKD, and they also (or at least my school) also mixed styles. We also did Combat Hapkido, and some TKD stuff.

Do you know what styles is mixed into CKD? Is it Korean?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2002
  11. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I said I didn't like groundwork, or practice it much. :) Besides, at least in my school the stuff we learn is little more than the basic principles.

There's a couple, the main one is www.choikwangdo.org

12. morphus

morphus Doobrey

groundwork

There is no groundwork in CKD syllabus, but we knowledge of ranges as i said "some groundwork" emphasise is on 'don't be down there in the first place!' As for other styles in CKD there many influences - boxing, TKD, ju jitsu, yoga even - but you'll find it uncomparable to other arts because of its conceptual manner. You really do have to have a good few lessons before you 'll fully appretiate it! Find a class and give it a try! PIL SUNG!

13. amiller127

amiller127 Chief Instructor

14. amiller127

Im a chief instructor and 3rd Dan in the art of Choi Kwang-Do and i have been training in the art for over ten years. It is a very practical, powerful art. Two of its main principles are that training in it should promote health and minimise the risk of injury to the practitioner, by applying bio-mechanicaly correct movements. Secondly, each technique should be practical and enable the student to defend themselves in a street situation.

15. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

And then there were three.

Nice to meet you. Have to try and head over to Wales to train sometime if I'm welcome.

16. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Hello amiller127

Welcome to the forum. :) Have you read my article at all? I spent the day with ckdstudent a while ago. If I ever get over to Wales - would you mind if I contact you...perhaps see a full class?

17. amiller127

Your welcome to come and train at any of the Welsh CKD schools. You can find out their details at www.ckdwales.co.uk

btw JB you may be seeing me soon. My girlfriend and i are planning to come down to one of Mr Brophy's classes soon.

Pil Sung

18. amiller127

What article?

19. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

There're several articles available under the Magazine section.

20. morphus

morphus Doobrey

ckd

Anyone wishing to join us in Wales for a training session will be most welcome, anytime. Just try to let us know in advance, maybe we can arrange a session specially prepared for the occasion.:D

Last edited: Jul 22, 2002