[Choi Kwang Do] Choi Kwang Do Ranking Belts

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Friction, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Friction

Friction Valued Member

After doing some serious reading, I think I have found the ranking system for Choi Kwang Do. Here they are.

If any of them are wrong, please let me know and I will make the adjustments

White
    [​IMG]

Yellow
    [​IMG]

Gold
    [​IMG]

Orange
    [​IMG]

Green
    [​IMG]

Blue
    [​IMG]

Purple
    [​IMG]

Red
    [​IMG]

Brown
    [​IMG]

Black Belts
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Yep - Thats about right except there is a colour/stripe belt rank in between each of those colour ranks.

3. Friction

Friction Valued Member

Like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  4. alister

alister Huh?

Kind of....below 1st dan there are two belts for each colour:
    eg, white, white senior, Yellow, Yellow Senior, and so on.

The "Senior" Belt is denoted by a black stripe running through the middle of the belt.

After 1st Dan - the tags follow the same pattern but with no "senior" grades.

There's very little difference between a regular belt and a senior of the same colour save for a turn/pivot in the pattern and an extra punch in a speed drill and maybe the odd technique, but to break the belts down can be useful for kids. Not so sure about the validity of it for Adults though... but that's a whole other discussion which has been had many times before...

Hope that helps.

5. Taffy37

Taffy37 just blue

More like this

Attached Files:

6. Friction

Friction Valued Member

OK I think I got it.

White Senior
    [​IMG]

Yellow Senior
    [​IMG]

Gold Senior
    [​IMG]

Orange Senior
    [​IMG]

Green Senior
    [​IMG]

Blue Senior
    [​IMG]

Purple Senior
    [​IMG]

Red Senior
    [​IMG]

Brown Senior
    [​IMG]

7. amiller127

amiller127 Chief Instructor

That seems all right glancing at it. But you forgot the 2nd and 3rd Dan tags....... :D

8. thehaggishunter

thehaggishunter Aberdeen, Scotland

9. amiller127

ah that was a fun thread. Having just re read parts of it I do have something to add to it. Cant in the original thread as its locked. And this isnt to stir up problems or cause argument, this is just my opinion based on what ive seen and my experience of CKD for 14 years.

Having now seen Haggis Hunter train, and having tested him as well while up in Scotland this month, I do have to admit that technically he is of a very good standard and I didnt see anything to suggest that his accelerated promotion was a bad thing. Tehcnically he is very good, his understanding of CKD is good. And he performs at a very high, intense level.

Im not crazy about the idea of people being accelerated, unless their made so with a high ranking instructor and that they put a lot more time in than an ordinary student. Haggis has done that and it shows. In fact, when I was testing the schools in his area, the general standard of all the students was high, well above average of the CKD schools ive visited around the world.

So as far as this 4th Dan and Examiner is concerned, their accelarated course in Alford is working VERY well. Otherwise I would be the first to put it down.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  10. thehaggishunter

Thank you for your comments :)

That wasnt the reason i posted the previous page though - it was because i had previously posted the belt colours on an image i had on an old hard drive and thought it relevant.

Was a good weekend, look forward to the next one ;)

11. BoredNow

BoredNow Valued Member

Actually is that image entirely correct - I'm sure our 3rd dans have tags too...
    :)

12. thehaggishunter

Yes there are 3 Tags at 3rd Dan - Gold, Blue & Brown

but i posted this with the image
    "came across this - it doesnt have the 4 stages of Sam Dan - but shows the IL & Ee Dan Stages"

4th Stage obviously being the starter - Sam Dan Plain

Pil Sung

13. black dwarf

black dwarf Valued Member

Mr. Miller - if you don't want to stir things up, as you say,why do you feel the need to resurrect an old debate????? I think most people want to move on...

14. amiller127

Plain and simple. I remembered someone mentioningit on the web site a while back. Hadnt seen haggis train then so couldnt comment on his ability.

CKD gets enough people complaining negativly about the talent of people and of some students being promoted quicker than is the norm and not being a good practitioner at the end of it. Seen it on here and also heard it in some classes.

Ive now seen haggis. Was Impressed with his skills and ability. Im one of these who dont like the idea of double testing students a lot. Seen a few that have ended up no where near as good as they should be for their rank, and have thought they would have benefitted from more time.

Happy to say in this instance this doesnt apply to what ive seen of HH.

Like I said in previous post. I would have been the first to criticise him if I thought he tested too fast and was not good at CKD. So feel I should praise on this forum when I find that isnt the case and there were many negative posts about it.

People seem to be VERY quick on here to offer a negative opinion on CKD and CKD students. Sometimes rightly so, sometime without grounds. I couldnt post in the old CKD fourm and would have left it if the thread was deleted. But its not. Anyone can come on here, read it, get a negative impression of someone who tested quicker, but was talented enough to justify it in my opinion. And if he wasn't I would have not been very kind that he had tested quicker.

So why should it be a problem for me to be positive about CKD practitioners that I have seen on a public forum?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006