Chipshop...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Mr Punch, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Mr Punch

Mr Punch Homicidal puppet

Is a place in...

Devon,

That's right...

England! :D

Welcome to the English culture thread (place name title inspired by the Welsh culture thread!)

This is a thread to celebrate Englishness. Of course, our British countrymen (plus ex-colonials, or anybody else who wants to stick it to us!) are more than welcome to join, but if so, please do it in the spirit of Britishness.

This means of course, sarcastic self-deprecation and taking the (family site) are welcome, but downright deregatory racism is not.

These are two characteristics I think of as part of Britishness in general, and as an Englishman, Englishness in particular - and as such this is what I want this thread to be about: your perception of our traits. Of course, this is not to say that good English traits are exclusive to Englishness, nor is it to say Englishness doesn't have its negative sides (as someone who has fought in the streets against Nazi skins and heavy-handed riot police at various occasions I well know), but please don't let this turn into a slanging match.

One reason I wanted to start this thread is to get some discussion about the govt's plans for British Day and cultural identity tests for new adults and immigrants. I think they could be a good idea, but just mention them and it's already a minefield!

We could start with something simple like:

1) Do you think we need a British National Day?

If we don't need one, do you think it wouldn't hurt? Or that the very idea is negative?

If you want one, when do you think would be a good day (and why)?

I'll come back and answer later, but I've been on here long enough today...

But BTW briefly I do think it's not necessarily a bad idea, I'll go into more detail later.

Another brief set of heavier questions for consideration is:

2) Do you think it's worth it trying to keep Britain together? Or, do you want to see more devolution or even independence for the Celtic countries? How do you think devolution could make Britain stronger? How do you think Celtic countries contribute to Britishness? Britishness is often seen as synonymous to Englishness... while I think this has to change, do you think it's true to some extent? Do you think it will change?

Feel free to ponder 'out loud', add your own questions, and of course answers.

2. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm chippy tea :D

Nice thread btw, I will ponder over my nice cuppa :D

3. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Ill put the kettle on!

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Hobnob?

5. Hiroji

I think due to recent immigration (although uk has always been a immigrant country) i think we are losing our more traditional identity, whatever you may claim that to be!

Things change, things never stay the same forever so i think trying to promote past traditions isnt going to work imo.

6. Hiroji

Curry is the #1 dish in the UK!!!! :D

7. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

You know,I have only recently begun appreciating the Hobnob again. :)

8. Mr Punch

Hobnobs...

oooh, don't!

Maybe I shouldn't have started this thread if it's just gonna be talking about that kind of thing... not that I'm hankering after a more serious discussion: it's just I live in Japan and hobnobs are but a distant memory. Plus the marmite is 725 yen (3 quid) per 125 g. At least you can get good British beer over here, but still not as good as back in the Shire of course! :cry:

BTW, Hiroji, as I come from a long line of Midlanders (a strong Saxon kingdom - Saxons being foreigners anyway!) with a good mix of Northumbrians (Saxons and Danes anyone?), more than a few Scots and Irish, and with nose that was distinctly French or Roman (*spits!* :D ) before it was broken four times into a more Saxon shape, being golden haired and green eyed, while my brother is raven haired and chocolate eyed...

I can definitely agree we've always been an immigrant country...

and no, I don't think that foisting our nationality on us will help... that's not very English now is it! (Well maybe the foisting is, but the being foisted upon isn't.)

Oops, said I was going... later chaps (and chappesses).

9. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

So do you mean Englishness or Britishness? :confused:

No. I think the idea of it is very un-British.

Devolution for Scotland and Wales will go as far as the people of those countries want it to. And greater devolution can only help the relations between them and England.

The idea of 'Britishness' was just a way for the English establishment to try to get the Scots and the Welsh on their side. But with devolution, it's a busted flush.

The Celtic fightback started in Ireland, but it's hard to say where it will end.

10. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Hmmm National British Day. What would that involve, getting beaten in all the sports that they invented :yeleyes: :p

Boards runs and hides...........

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I reckon the next step is independence for Yorkshire and Cornwall. Then England will make a pact with Yorkshire and Cornwall to team up and force London to declare independence. Yorkshire will only agree to take part on the proviso that the other counties help to destroy Lancashire. London will be cast out into the sea as a new floating island and Lancashire will be raised to the ground and the land used to grow potatoes.

12. Mr Punch

Well, that's part of the very point of Englishness IMO... it's a confusing subject. I consider myself as English as the next Englishman, but I'm British in a very literal way as you can see by my post on my individual heritage. Hence the question at the end of the first post about elements of Britishness in Englishness and Scottishness and all the rest of it. The thread is meant to be about Englishness, but since many many English people are a good mix of English and Celtic and thus inseperable in some ways they are indivisible and English people have more to lose with independence than the other countries, and not just from some warped colonial overlord kind of way.

Many people say that... So what traits of Britishness do you see this going against?

Agreed and that's fair enough.
    How? Why?

Was! But as British Englishman I don't feel that it's some false label foisted on me as a serf sheep from some feudal/imperial hangover, I feel it's as real as any claim to an 'English' nationality.

13. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Damn right! :D

British people traditionally aren't into this whole flag-waving malarky. It's yet another tacky import from the USA.

I suppose there are many sides to 'Britishness', and I was only considering one of them. I'll concede that point.

14. Mr Punch

We don't seem to need a special day to do that!

15. Mr Punch

Hehehe, actually, I was debating the wisdom of starting the thread with a placename from Devon...! :eek:

16. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Yorkshire independance would make a lot of sense. :)

17. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Chips, Fried Rice and Curry sauce now that is a true british dish.

The Bear.

18. Hiroji

Cheesy chips and beans...now were talking.

19. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

WTH...are cheesy chips???

20. Mr Punch

Really? You're old enough to remember the Silver Jubilee, the royal wedding, Torville and Dean at the Olympics, Cram, Ovett and Coe, aren't you? My neighbourhood was definitely not monarchist in any way, but you couldn't count the number of Union Jacks in the streets.