Chinese war sword.

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by caveman, Apr 23, 2011.

1. caveman

caveman Threadkiller

Hilarious comedy element salesman does absolutely nothing to mitigate how terrifying this thing is. Oh and, mind your toes.:eek:

2. caveman

caveman Threadkiller

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PQiaurIiDM"]YouTube - Chinese War Sword : Cold Steel Swords[/ame]

3. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

That company would come across as so much more reliable and less "flea market sword" if they'd just use demo guys who even looked like they had some idea how to cut.

4. Manga

Manga Moved On

I wouldn't be too definitive about that lardy :hat:

5. draconacticus

draconacticus Valued Member

That's actually a really nice looking dadao, but you're right, the fact that all their videos have some salad dodger swinging their swords like a buffoon instead of someone with some finesse doesn't exactly make you want to part with cash :p

6. laugarfist

laugarfist New Member Supporter

The only thing I've bought from Coldsteel was some rubber training knives & they are very nice quality. They sent out some demo DVDs with this guy on, the pepper spray one is hilarious!

7. aikidoka-je

aikidoka-je Blue Floral Belt

Isn't that the same style of sword the Shaolin monks use?

8. kowloonboy

kowloonboy Banned Banned

I want one. :) [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW8nckzt-Bc&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Butterfly Swords : Cold Steel[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  9. draconacticus

The dadao was more of a peasant weapon.

Butterfly swords? Those are bull's ear swords. Very nice though.

10. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Really they're "southern knives", various styles refer to them as butterfly knives, bamboo leaf knives, elbow knives etc. In fact, while some importers label them as bull's ear swords, I've never known them referred to as this in a style.

11. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Is this guy talking about swords or... ahem... "swords?" :thinking: I think I found my new nick name. :banana:

12. draconacticus

I've always been led to believe that the style where the back of the blade lines up with the handle are butterfly swords, and the style where the handle is central to the blade are bull's ear swords and are for a completely different form?

But saying that, I did read an article online about the evolution of the butterfly sword that should both variants. I remember it said that to be an effective thrusting weapon the handle should be in line with the stabbing tip *looks at cold steel offering*... oh dear.

Lol, two handed chinese war sword. Excellent name. For it is a mighty chopper :D

13. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

This is one of those things that while true, is beside the point. Yes, if the handle is aligned with the tip it will allow for a nice straight extended thrust, BUT it will be less effective for chopping and slashing. As dao are primarily chopping and slashing weapons, this would be a problem, certainly more of a problem than a sub-optimal thrusting alignment, as the blade length means that you can thrust pretty effectively regardless of the handle, and the nature of the weapon means that fully extended thrusts would be very uncommon in a real fight.

14. aikidoka-je

aikidoka-je Blue Floral Belt

15. draconacticus

I know which I prefer to train with lol! The bull's ear style are a pig to flip if you don't have hands like dinner plates!