Chinese Styles

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by TheCraneMan, Dec 7, 2012.

1. TheCraneMan

TheCraneMan New Member

Hi, what are the strengths and weaknesses and main focuses of these styles:
    Chinese Boxing, Wuzuquan, Sport Wushu, Wujiquan, im finding alot of contradicting info online.. Thanks

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

What have you heard for starters? What are your aims and ambitions for your training?

"Chinese boxing" is a generic classification, not a style

3. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

TheCraneMan,
    What are you practicing at the moment? Are you looking to start studying one of these styles?

As Hannibal said, 'Chinese Boxing' is a sort of umbrella term, that refers to Chinese striking arts (or martial arts in general).

Sport Wushu can vary greatly, although many consider it to be a modern degradation of traditional martial skills, where flash and looking good are more important than functional fighting skill.

Wuzu Quan and Wuji Quan are both 'traditional' styles of Chinese kungfu.

What sort of information are you looking for? You'll find, in CMA, that there are at least 3 different versions of any histories, and at least 10 different ways of screwing in a lightbulb, depending on what school you go to (even within the same style).

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

This would be better in the Kung Fu section. Some context would be helpful. Are you looking at Kixx in Maidstone?

5. Dan Bian

You might be waiting a while for a response, SifuBen - TheCraneMan doesn't seem to be in the habit of replying to responses to his initial posts....

On a side note, I used to train (briefly) with one of the instructors at Kixx...

6. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAQdecyBNb4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAQdecyBNb4[/ame]

8. Dan Bian

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  9. Tin tin

Tin tin Valued Member

Does not mater which is good are bad just the person doing the style and how much practice you put in !!!

10. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Claims to be Chinese.Chinese kickboxing.

But I just wanted you to read (post #62) what I said in ref to the statement

" "Chinese Kickboxing", a generic name applied by Westerners to describe the martial arts before much was known about them."

Hannibal-best line in film- "You won't hurt them with your Chinese Boxing."

11. Tin tin

Tin tin Valued Member

No sorry Chinese kickboxing something completely different . It's call san shou or sanda . These have been around since early as 1920's . Chinese developed this style so it could used in modern competitions . It's more like modern day kung fu. We in the west call it chinese'skickboxing . You al so have combat san shou witch is what the Chinese police use..

12. Ben Gash CLF

I think Medico xis being somewhat pedantic. Chinese boxing is the oldest English term for Chinese martial arts, and is an older term than Kung Fu (which came into usage in the 20th century) . The accurate Chinese term is boxing, so Chinese boxing is an accurate term

13. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

I was merely saying that "Chinese Boxing",(or "Chinese Kickboxing" as was posted in the Wu Shu Kwan thread) is not a general term for all MAs.JApplies only to applicable CMAs.

Mayhap I'm being overly pedantic, biut I don't think so.

"Panzer" isn't a generic term for all tanks.

But t'anks to one and all.

14. Ben Gash CLF

I think you misunderstood Dan Bian's post.

15. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I am with El Medico on this, Chinese Boxing is a term that just applies to Chinese martial arts.

16. Dan Bian

I see where I've crossed the wires here, sorry!

I tried to make the distinction between striking arts and wrestling arts, and said ''Chinese Boxing' is a sort of umbrella term, that refers to Chinese striking arts" with the term 'boxing' relating to the striking focus. I should have added onto the next part (or Chinese martial arts in general). I see that I might have been mis-interpreted as stating that 'Chinese Boxing' may refer to any oriental martial arts, which is not what I was trying to suggest.

My bad...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  17. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

I was puzzled, such a statement from you I didn't expect. Thanks for clearing that up.

I guess Ben got what you meant, maybe I'm thick for not extrapolating but I don't think so.

But I beg pardon lest you think I had a loss of faith in you.

NEVER!

18. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

lol, which other countries martial arts would we think it applied to....
    My first teacher sometimes used the name Chinese Boxing club No.888. I was never confused why we weren't practicing something from a different country..

What a wierd (and slightly wonderful) turn for the thread.:)

19. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Doc, the pills man, don't forget to take the pills :D

20. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

But..but.. The ones that Mother gives you

Don't do anything at all.

Go ask Alice!