Chinese Martial Art?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ShadowWarrior, Nov 25, 2005.

1. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior Valued Member

Hi,
    Im currently a Taekwon-Do student but i would like to have a go at a Chinese Martial Art. I know there are lots of different kinds and i want your opinion on which is best. I want something that has forms/patterns and flying kicks or aerial moves.. I also wouldn't mind doing something with weapons. Can you please help me explain which art is right for me.
    Of course this will all depend on what club/s i can find in my area.

Thanks very much,
    Ryan

2. CraigLeeJKD

CraigLeeJKD formerly 'into_the_abyss'

Why do you want forms/patterns, flying kicks etc? Is it just for the image? Because if so then go for something like Shaolin kung fu (which I have nothing against, I think it's a wonderful art but I personally think forms and fancy flying kicks are just gonna lead to you getting killed if you are attacked on the street).
    However, if you want something that would prove useful in a street situation, then Wing Chun would probably be your best bet.

peace

3. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

XMA. You're not going to find what you're looking for at a real Chinese MA school. Go do "Xtreme Martial Arts". OK, maybe WuShu, but that's not a real MA, either.

But those would be your two choices.

4. Ziro

Ziro Valued Member

Eh? What are you talking about. Shaolin martial arts, aren't about all flying kicks. There are lots of styles, which look really crap, and don't have fancy flying kicks. Unfortunately, the faux shaolin monks, for example the "monks" from the wheel of life, have given people a wrong preception of Shaolin Martial Arts.

I think you also, misunderstand the importances of forms. If you think they'll lead to you being beaten. But thats a different post, altogether.

I assume, you do Wing Chun. If you do, surely you will be practicing principles, developed within the Shaolin arts.

Anyway........... Damn it, I forgot what I was going to say.... ow well

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

6. Nick K

Nick K Sometimes a Valued Member

White crane or long fist both very 'martial arty' - effective too. There are some jumping kicks in the long fist forms (at least Ive seen the guys doing them at class - me, I like at least 2 limbs on the ground at any one time)

7. ShadowWarrior

I don't really mind about the self defence side of it,,,i do Taekwon-Do and I have learnt a lot of self defence things from it.
    I want a martial art that has some form of pattern. I have seen some videos of some chinese martial art - i don't know which one though - and it had real flash patterns, it consisted of real fast movements. I would like to give something like this ago.
    I have thought about XMA but there are no schools in my area.
    Also as another option i saw an article a while ago and it had something about teaching Dim Mak but i don't know what CMA this was. Any help?

8. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Dim Mak - Pressure Point Manipulation. Basically its just another way of saying.. "If you hit somebody here.. its going to hurt.. really really bad.. or worse"

This is Dim Mak in a nutshell.. There are 108 cavities on the body found useful for attack (acupuncture uses over 700).. of these 108.. 36 are lethal and 72 cause local paralysis, numbing, or loss of consciousness.

9. ShadowWarrior

So is there an art that uses them?? I saw in a martial arts magazine saying something about them in some chinese art but i can not remember what one.

10. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Dim Mak is pretty much a joke, especially if you're Dillman lineage.

11. TheDarkJester

yes and no. If you're thinking of Dim Mak as some bloodsport trick you can show to your friends.. you'd be on the wrong page...

However hitting someone with a drilling phoenix eye fist in the carotid, temple, solarplex, kidney, or any critical organ meridian and you will inflict some serious pain on a person.

Saying Dim Mak is a complete joke is like saying throwing a punch/kick to the throat is also as well. *shrugs*

12. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Dim Mak and pressure point manipulation has a lot of baggage. You know it and I know it. Dillman is one of the biggest frauds out there, or haven't you seen the Fox video of one of his students making a complete ass of himself?

13. TheDarkJester

Touche. Some people like to think it as mystical and its just simply not.

I have seen the video.. and traditional martial artists don't deserve that kind of crap. One bad apple is turning what is generally a significant core of striking training of TMA into something I'd expect to see in a video game (I.E. HADOOOOOOKEN!!)

Though its people like dillman that make me wonder if someone will ever mystify Chin Na like Dim Mak...

Once again.. nothing fancy, just more efficient ways to hurt people in less time :)

14. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Oh, God, I hope not. I like Chin Na. Mystifying it would completely and totally suck.

15. Jackie Li

Jackie Li Valued Member

Wushu's not a real martial art. Man, you know nothing.

16. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I have my opinions, you have yours. From what I've seen, it's a glorified floor routine. We gonna have this go-around again? Last time you got binned, remember?

17. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

I agree with GangrelChilde. Performance Wushu is for entertainment purposes only. Granted, many Wushu schools teach traditional kung fu and/or san shou, but Wushu by itself isn't MA IMHO. For example, today's shaolin monks do mostly wushu, but they have some traditional forms, and also do traditional training and Qigong. Wushu coach Lily Lau teaches wushu forms and traditional Chin Na from Eagle Claw. Shou Yu Liang, the wushu coach for team Canada, teaches Wushu, San Shou, Qigong, Hsing-I, Pakua, Tai Chi, and Liu He Ba Fa.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  18. vickbd

vickbd New Member

...Shaolin Monks are one of the deadliest alive. Although they are at peace, they can be VERY deadly. They undergo the most gratifying, intense training there is. Put a REAL shaolin monk to the test in the streets and we'd see what would happen. Although if you would want to recieve the same training as the monks do, then you'd be better off going to China, finding a real master.

As for some chinese martial arts: Kung Fu (Multiple Styles). White Crane is a good one. Both nice and effective. Wing Chun is a pretty simple but yet effective art. Heck if it were up to me I'd say maybe 90% of all martial arts are effective. Even if it weren't effective at all you'de still be physically fit and would have some ideas of how to fight.

Anyways I myself care more about the art and the philosophy/history behind it rather than the "WOULD IT WORK IN THE STREET?!?!111 one one one)" type of stuff.

Good luck on your search though.

19. TheDarkJester

You just agreed with him. Consequently wouldn't that also mean you also know nothing? :confused:

anyways.. this thread really is lacking in what matters.. I mean if you people are attempting to try and sell someone on CMA, wouldn't the first smart thing to do ask the thread starter (whose name I am too lazy to look up) what body type he has? I mean when I got into mantis boxing I chose it because its made for my body type which is tall and wiry. It seems like people here just throw out whatever system they chose out of pure favoritism and thats not getting homeboy any closer to his goal which is finding the style for him.

I mean the thread starter could be shorter and squat, making him ideal for a southern style, or he could be taller and made for the northern systems.

He could be wanting to learn locks, leverages and throws.. Eagle Claw would fit that bill.. But from the sounds of it, call me crazy but the thread starter and his description of what he's looking for almost sounds like Longfist Boxing.

Take that with a grain of salt. Oh.. and if I could manipulate a staff or hell, even a 3 sectional staff like some top wushu athletes could.. I ain't baggin on Wushu one bit.. takes just as much time and dedication to perform at that level as an application based system would. Plus its cool to watch some of the old school videos where homedude with the staff resembles Taz on Adderral.. :D

20. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

What's your point?