Chinese Kickboxing

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Split_level, Aug 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hkj

hkj Valued Member

blah.

good to see you guys are talking about the right thing - whos club is better and which of you is cooler... you should be banned from the forum :(

Anyway, about Chinese kickboxing - it's really good fun. If you've ever done any type of kickboxing you'll already be up to scratch with it. It's very similar to muay thai (punches, kicks, knees (no elbow)) but with the inclusion of throws, which are great fun to learn...
    It'll also help you greatly on the streets as you are taught no-nonsense punching and kicking.
    I studied it in china for a while and it's one of the fullest martial arts i've seen. Unfortunately they don't teach you funky kicks like they might in tkd, but then Chinese kickboxing - San Da - San Shou - is for kickboxers, not ballerinas.

I suggest you give it a go... dont like it? quit...
    I made a really crappy website on it a while back just to gain some points on a course i had to do... anyway.. has a few pics and a bit of info u might find helpful: http://newmedia.leeds.ac.uk/1640-6/ics5jm/index.htm

Hope this helps =]

2. kickboxking1980

kickboxking1980 New Member

using no style as style and having no limitation as limitation

It is useless to argue which style is better simply because every style and system of fighting has it's limitations and of course it's strengths.
    Also to compare one club or one fighter and make an assessment of that style based on their standard is also futile.
    It would be like saying that Boxing is crap, just look at the Butterbean geezer lol
    Look at the best practitioner of that style and then make an informed decision of how good or bad that style is for YOU. remember one mans feast is another mans poison.

3. jimmy_haylor

jimmy_haylor New Member

Still trying to big yourself up I see chefkicker.

lol @ putting down people that do l-con..... I seem to remember you singing from a very different songsheet on other forums.

4. seyah

seyah Valued Member

Like all clubs / associations you get good instruction and you get bad Chris is a very good and well respected instructor but you get the odd club that is affiliated to chinese KB association and use that as a selling point

I have a number of students who came from one off these clubs and whilst they had a good basic knowledge their over all fighting abilities where poor.

To put this into perspective I have two students one from CKB club and one I taught from novice both are on this years WKA squad fighting in Spain. However the student who came from the CKB club was a blue belt and had never faught outside of her club even though there where many WKA comps.

Thats only my own personal experience and should not be taken as a over all reflection.

BTW Kickboxingideot I found the statement "light con crap" offensive you know my backgound and I give both the Light con and Full con equal respect and whilst you are bang into FC you must agree that LC has it's place. both systems are brilliant for over all fitness and defence.

Yours and my good freind Brian Barnes teaches kickboxing (FC) in Manchester and has turned out many good fighters. I think you mentiond that he taught you many years ago :cool: and BTW I teach KB in Manchester and even train with Brians lot myself and at 41 years old I can still just about hold my own with his younger students :)

I know you are not after insulting people KBI and so i'm sure you meant to say many clubs not just in Manchester don't cut the grade. :love:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  5. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

Hi Seyah
    I agree with you on some topics but will not be in full agreement on others

1."I have a number of students who came from one off these clubs and whilst they had a good basic knowledge their over all fighting abilities where poor. "

Sounds spot on to me! Big string of clubs + well renowned instructor does NOT always= turns out good fighters OR high standards.

A lot of these "big names" mickey mousify what they teach and McDojoise/water it down just for the £££.

2."To put this into perspective I have two students one from CKB club and one I taught from novice both are on this years WKA squad fighting in Spain. However the student who came from the CKB club was a blue belt and had never faught outside of her club even though there where many WKA comps."

Worse still seyah, many blue belts from NWCKB have not even sparred in the club !!!
    In NWCKB , i have met more than one purple belt who had never even sparred or even knew how to hold pads properly.

3."Thats only my own personal experience and should not be taken as a over all reflection."

There will always be the exceptions to the rule (thankfully!)
    Simon O Meally is an exception to the rule , mind you he used to train with us for about 3/4 years as a student when he was at University.

4."BTW Kickboxingideot I found the statement "light con crap" offensive you know my backgound and I give both the Light con and Full con equal respect and whilst you are bang into FC you must agree that LC has it's place. both systems are brilliant for over all fitness and defence.

Ok Ok I will hold my hand up and agree that what I said was wrong. I myself have competed in L-con a lot and even held a British L-con title for at least 3 years.

5."Yours and my good freind Brian Barnes teaches kickboxing (FC) in Manchester and has turned out many good fighters. I think you mentiond that he taught you many years ago :cool: and BTW I teach KB in Manchester and even train with Brians lot myself and at 41 years old I can still just about hold my own with his younger students :)

I know you are not after insulting people KBI and so i'm sure you meant to say many clubs not just in Manchester don't cut the grade. :love:"

Goes without saying that my well respected friend and former teacher Mr Barnes does teach FC (as do you) as well as L-con and as such both of you have my utmost respect.
    Now when I say the "kickboxing scene in machester sucks ass" I mean that!
    I mean the SCENE , where is the kickboxing scene???

Where is the cooperation between clubs and regular promotions etc,...
    Now look at FC nationwide:

Daaan saaaaarrf,....
    Kent/london/essex,..etc you have Colin payne , steve kerridge carl sams etc,... mainly using the WKU

Midlands you have jagtar johal, serge johal, dean sugden, paul henessey,....etc (really the midlands is the real hot bed). WAKO-pro and ISKA dominate here

North East there is also a lot of activity mainly under the WUMA.

Now the steel city of sheffield once known as "land of the boxers" is now starting a long dormant kickboxing scene.

Sanctioned by the ISKA there are representatives from :
    Sheffield Lau gar, Black dragons, Self Defence UK, Kondei Ryu, Woodseats Thaiboxing as well as the host club A.F.K .

Sheffield also has two universities , both of whom have a kickboxing class (both affiliated to AFK) both of whom produce a multitude of fighters in L-con/ FC/Low kick and Cage kickboxing(K1 rules).

6. kickboxking1980

Never has a name been so apt!

'Kickboxingidiot' does what it says on the tin! ;)

7. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

What are your kickboxing credentials? Just curious Mr kickboxing "king".
    When you have done anything near to what I've done then you can consider yourself qualified to make judgements such as the above.

Meanwhile youre just a 3 post newbie.
    :cool:

Next time read the post properly. Failing that go and retake your GCSE in English :p

LOL in your face

8. kickboxking1980

lol, thank you for that Mr 'Kickboxingidiot'.
    My credentials are none of your business but if as you say i have to have done more than what you have done to qualify me to make comments. I consider myself well and truly qualified. 3 post newbie or not, I can type that with my hand on heart.

As you are aware more than most, making lot's of posts on an internet will never make you a great martial artist.
    As you are also aware, talk is cheap but actions are what count. lol

Thank you all the same for your concern. lol :D

9. Sever

Sever Valued Member

OK, I think you kids need a little time apart

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.