[China] Tea

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Su lin, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I like my tea sweet with ice in it. In the south, tea is tea, unless it's some of that fancy stuff. I think we make our iced tea with "black" tea.

I'm kind of a redneck! :D

2. FONB

FONB Banned Banned

Excuse me for going of topic but this will help the tea go down faster.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9155021346589357277&q=Muay+Thai++roundhouse+kick

Here is a question do any you know the name of the plant that tea comes from green tea an brown tea?
    I already know so thought i would ask.

The odd thing is there is more than one type of plant that green tea an brown tea come from but they are all in the same family usually unless you go in to blueberry tea or something like chrysanthemum tea.

3. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Green , black, oolong and white teas come from a variety of hibiscus/camellia called Camellia Sinensis . there are varieties sports and strains such as Camellia sinensis var. assamica (Assam the commonest variety in the worlds and Camellia sinensis var sinensis (China tea). All one species but many strains or varieties.

4. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I once managed to convince a mate of mine that Yorkshire Tea is actually grown in God's Own County (on south-facing slopes, etc. ;) )

But he's a Geordie, so he's (a) gullible, and (b) thinks of Yorkshire as being fairly tropical. :D

5. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Hold the phone! I'm a Geordie. :eek: But then I lived in Leeds for 4 years. :D

Anyway, back to tea, I saw a documentary once on Jackie Chan and he was showing some dude around his house and his collection of tea sets. That's correct, hard kung fuing Jackie Chan collects little teeny tiny teapots and cups...

It was like the world ended...

6. adouglasmhor

He collects antique Chinese padlocks as well. Nothing wrong with having a yin and yang side.

7. FONB

FONB Banned Banned

Assamica is said to be the plant after they did extensive research on it to be the plant that sinensis came from.
    An you might wonder why they did that research cause like adouglasmhor points out more common do to when the trade of tea be came such a commodity there was in essence trade wars an so on, so they found what was believed or created to be the plant that sinensis came from in India named the assamica.

Latin:
    sinensis = chinese
    assamica = i have memory lose so i for get someone rmember what it means.
    I think it meas maybe where they found it at. India.

So hay adouglasmhor do you know how to grow the plants as well?

I am trying to grow a camillia ptilophylla plant a white tea comesfrom this type of plant.

8. adouglasmhor

Sheltered position, good drainage, sunlight, I don't know where you are but this plant will not like the cold or draughts. Good luck.

Assamica refers to Assam a Region of India.

9. gungfujoe

gungfujoe Please, call me Erik. :)

I'm a bit surprised to see no one mentioning gunpowder tea. I start most of my mornings with a cup of pingshui gunpowder with some honey in it. Good stuff. :) (I'm currently using Numi brand, as they have a decent price on bulk tea, and it seems to be of quite good quality. I'm not really enough of a connoisseur to distinguish minor differences in quality among teas, and haven't really tried gunpowder from a terribly wide variety of sources to compare them, either)

Someone mentioned serving sizes later in the thread - ironically, the first source of gunpowder tea that I found was a bamboo flask (for lack of a better word) sold in a local World Market (I still use the flask because it's so convenient). The instructions on the side say to use two teaspoons of leaves for a serving of tea! I tend to use about 1/3 of a teaspoon. Any more than that, and my tea ball gets so full that the water can't flow through it, and much of it goes to waste. :)

10. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Ooh gunpowder is great, I often drink it in the morning. Just took delivery of my organic green Pi Luo Chun tea, it's really lovely.

11. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

I have been drinking a lot of Chun Mee Moon Palace green tea from Upton Tea Imports. With a touch of honey its good stuff.

I have also found that for those who fear a bit of leaf in their tea, one of these is pretty good.
    http://www.fantes.com/images/120572tea_infusers.jpg

Also works great for herbal teas when you have a mix of chamomile and lavender which tends to float to the top.

12. brabus

brabus Banned Banned

I'm a big fan of green tea, especially China Green Tea-Special Gunpowder, which you can get in almost all asian supermarkets here.

13. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

Stock answer to tea threads:

/me raises hand!
    'nother tea addict here.

I usually change the types of tea I drink every few months.

Right now, the teas I have are Pai Mu Tan grade white tea, Tumsong estate First Flush Darjeeling, some weird smoked chinese black tea called "Russian Caravan", Japanese Genmaicha and a quite non-traditional masala chai mix with guarana.

14. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah I'm a fan of Masla teas... we've got any number of masala's at home to add to the tea. The important part of making masala tea is to steep the tea for a long time... it requires a strong brew... additionally to make a nice thick tea - the way masala tea should be... evaporated milk is the best choice.

On especially cold days we often add a pinch of freshly ground black pepper to the masala tea. It's a traditional Nepalese way to drink masala tea. Try it you might like it.

15. Chimpcheng

I thought that said Masala tea, :D

How great would a curried beverage be with chicken bits infused with tea leaves floating about? :)

16. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Funny you should say that Chimp.A while back I dropped some chicken into my coffee, and it actually tasted ok. the chicken wasnt curried or anything,so I couldnt comment on how that would taste.

17. Chimpcheng

That's weird. You're very weird Looby.

18. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I'm not weird! I accidentally dropped it in my coffee! :D

19. Chimpcheng

I’ve just realised that Pu'eh is the same as Bo Lay which is what I normally have at the restaurant. There I was thinking you were making up names for teas.

It’s great for washing down copious amounts of dim sum. Mmm Gotta love the dim sum. :)

20. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Ahhhh, yeah I find it helps with digestion and that. It's nice though.

Mmmmmmmmmmm dim sum!