[China] Hanji characters translation

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by ICT, Oct 21, 2007.

1. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

Hello Group,

Can anyone tell me what the Hanji characters around the Dragon says?

Thanks,
    Eddie Ivester

Attached Files:

2. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

Hello,

I can't believe that after 27 views no one on this forum has any idea of what these characters mean!

There are to many members that read Hanji Characters so Please can someone help?

Thanks,
    Eddie Ivester

3. watts

watts Valued Member

It says "dry clean only".

4. NorthernMantis

NorthernMantis New Member

Those pics are terrible, I would be surprised if anyone could actually read that.

5. SirVill

SirVill Valued Member

that and I think you mean "Kanji".

6. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

No, I believe Kanji is Japanese and Hanji is Chinese!

7. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Moved to the China forum, you may get more assistance there.

8. SirVill

SirVill Valued Member

Really? LOL. Never heard of Hanji before. Learn something every day.

At any rate, the picture is so blurry its pretty hard to make anything out. Have you got another one?

9. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Oi, I was gonna do that! :woo:

A quick look on the interweb and by interweb I mean wikipedia, that bastion of all knowledge and truth and it appears that Hanji does refer to Chinese characters.

Anyway, yeah, those characters are way too blurred to make any distinction, if you supply better pictures you'll no doubt get no end of people translating for you. :)

10. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

Sorry, I cannot. Anyway to post a clearer pic? Does this school have a website by chance?

11. Mano Mano

Mano Mano Dirty Boxer

On the Chinese character site I use the term is Cangjie.

12. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Let me have an ask around here in Hong Kong. It's rather amazing what local Chinese people here can make out or decipher. We get the gamut from professional Chinese calligraphers to short order cooks who scribble out the craziest Chinese shorthand. So in that mix some where is someone who should be able to decipher the characters.

I take the Roman characters on there are something related to an Indonesian martial art style prevalent in Holland and appear to have some schools in the US? :confused:

(example: http://www.poekoelan.nl/)

Will post again in a day or two.

Edit:
    Ok it appears the logo and whatnot belong to this school of Indonesian martial arts called Poekoelan Tjimindie Tulen. You may have already know that... but is that correct?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  13. slipthejab

Crazy world. I had a couple of Chinese friends look at the characters... the first thing they asked... 'Is that Chinese?'

Go figure. :D

I found what appears to be a clearer picture of the characters... but the characters themselves have obviously not been painted by a Chinese person. :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  14. slipthejab

It appears it's going to most likely be some combination of the 4 animal system:

Tiger/Monkey/Snake/Crane

but to my eye... none of the Chinese characters match up with the corresponding animals.

Another thought is that it might be the Chinese characters for something similar to what's on the patch below. This patch came from this site:

http://www.mindboxing.com/main.htm

(don't even get me started on the videos they show... LOL! :D

But that same patch with the same Roman type shows up in several pictures of Willy Wetzel himself. So it's highly likely that the patch and the Chinese characters have a correlation. You might want to simply ring up one of the sites I've posted and ask them. Some sites have Willy Wetzel wearing that exact jacket... but the pictures are rather small.:

Attached Files:

15. slipthejab

At any rate... I'll post again in a bit when I get some consensus on what the characters might be. The Chinese in Indonesia are fascinating in that they don't follow many of the trends of Chinese elsewhere. The original waves of Chinese that immigrated to Indonesia were very diverse.... and with that... diverse in language as well.

I almost wondered for a second if there wasn't some Arabic script or some creole Chinese language that was worked into the logo. But it's hard to say as the original examples are blurry and the ones I've posted are terrible in that they're obviously written by someone who knows little about Chinese characters.

16. CFT

CFT Valued Member

It doesn't look like Chinese characters to me - not even the highly stylized scripts. They remind me of the faux-Chinese characters you see on fabrics and soft furnishings.

17. slipthejab

I have to admit the ones painted on the wall have exactly that feeling... total chop sockey type Kung Fu Xploitation style going on. But then what can you expect.... good writing in Chinese characters is definitely an acquired skill.

Just at a glance the characters on the back of the jacket look better... but again it's blurry.

18. slipthejab

Ok... below is a quick little set of characters for the four animals represented in the style of Silat listed above...

These are the traditional characters as opposed to the simplified characters. They don't really resemble anything that's on either set of pictures posted. Not the blurry ones from the back of the jacket and not the attempt at Chinese characters painted on the wall. These are computer set... obviously.. as my handwritten ones wouldn't be nearly as uniform. :D

Attached Files:

19. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

That is the back of Guru Willy Wetzel's uniform. (I don't know of any clearer pics)

It not from the school Poekoelan Tjimindie Tulen which is from a student that was not Guru Wetzel's style name his was Poekoelan Tjimindie Chuan Fa.

Yes it is a Dutch-Indo Pentjak Silat/Chuan Fa style from Indonesia.

Thanks for any help deciphering,

Teacher: Eddie Ivester