Chimpcheng's Log - A Simians Journey Toward Martial Immortality...

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Chimpcheng, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Another big training weekend.

Saturday - MMA

1 x 10 mins shadow boxing including hands, shoots and sprawls
    5 x 3 mins various drills involving the use of underhooks, leading to takedowns, and striking
    3 x 5 mins ground and pound and subs from side control and from guard

Sunday - Kung Fu

Drilled kicks and basic punching.

Pad work:

1 x 3 mins low roundhouses
    1 x 3 mins mid roundhouses - singles and doubles
    1 x 3 mins alternate mid roundhouses

Sparring drills:

1 x 5 mins jab/cross, partner blocks, left jab, left fake, spinning gwa choy
    1 x 5 mins fake leg kick, alternate roundhouses, teen chi

Sparring:

4 x 3 mins hands and feet (different partner each round)
    4 x 3 mins 3 vs 1 sparring (hands only, rotating)
    1 x 1 min 30 secs shark tanking (hands only)

2. Chimpcheng

Been a while since I last posted on here, but there's been some updates in my training regime. Kung fu has taken a massive backseat as I move on with both kickboxing and MMA - however, the latter hasn't been regular lessons thanks to a recurring dodgy knee...

I've also been gyming a bit and sessions tend to include:

1 x 15 mins recumbent bike (varying levels of intensity)
    1 x 15 mins cross trainer
    1 x 5 mins stepper
    1 x 15 minutes upright cycle
    1 x 10 mins treadmill (fast paced walking or gentle jogging)

Then is then followed by weight training and may consist of the following (depending on muscle group(s) being worked on:

Assisted pull ups/dips - various weights and reps
    Arm curls - various weights and reps
    Eight-stack multistation - various weights and reps
    Smith Machine - various weights and reps
    Free weights including dumb bells, straight bar (flat bench, declines), EZ bar - various weights and reps

Then to finish off:

30 x sit ups with medicine ball
    30 x heel touch
    Stretch off and collapse in a heap.

This is of course done with the addition of watching Miley Cyrus music vids on the TV's...

:Angel:

3. Chimpcheng

Finally got back to boxing of kick (the new cool way of saying kick boxing for the uninitiated) after a near clean and jerk mishap hobbled my already dodgy knee.

Started with drills which were variations of an inner kick entry (the minute rest between drills consisted of up to 40 seconds of exercise, e.g., squats, jack knives, burpees, etc.) before heading into sparring:

4 x 3 minute kickboxing
    1 x 3 minute boxing only (thanks to my knee)

In the boxing only round I was paired up with The Flash who proceeded to hand my buttocks to me in rapid fashion. He must have gotten off 10-15 clean shots to my miserable 3, such was the guys speed. Huge respects.

4. Chimpcheng

It's been a long time since I last wrote in here what with real life and dodgy knees getting in the way of serious training.

Currently my only bit of Kung Fu training is at my friends school. He was given permission to open up classes in Sunderland by our Si Fu, teaching Choy Lee Fut but with an emphasis on striking (pad and bag work) and sparring. The traditional stuff is still there (stances, forms, weapons) but it's more orientated towards actual fighting and self defence.

Typical striking class would consist of:

Warm up - tabata style
    10 x rounds of padwork - Thai and Focus mitts with various combos
    10 x rounds of sparring - emphasis on hand work

Due to my knee issues I'm having to mostly take a back seat, finding myself not being able to fully participate...

Meanwhile, back in the Newcastle school I'm startingto teach again, on and off due to real life and work pressures, but we're in the middle of training for the Chinese New Year Celebrations. So currently a class looks like:

Line drills - Basic to intermediate kicking
    Partners - Kick sparring
    Line drills - Basic stances
    Line drills - CLF punching
    Partners - Pad work

Dragon dancing
    Lion dancing
    Forms

Busy it is...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  5. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Welcome back monkey boy! Been missing your remarks, though Slipthejab, Mitch, and a few other "old timers" keep things rolling. Wasn't aware of your knee issues mate. Had it looked at yet?

6. Chimpcheng

Hey man, thanks. Re: the knee, it comes and goes, had x-rays, 6 months of physio, nothing has helped. At it's very worse I can't bend it and as a result have huge problems using stairs or even just standing up. However, generally I'm fine, I just can't run...

I've been told to insist on an MRI, but I'm one of those who don't like to waste NHS time, particularly as there are people in far more need of an appointment.

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

well if you don't like to waste nhs time, you've then accumulated a number of virtual nhs work hours that have not been used to check you ups, and which you can then tap into and not in fact waste their time, per se.

so go get an mri :p

8. Chimpcheng

Ok, so yesterday we did the following:

Starting in Sunderland:

10 x 4 min rounds pad work - mixed Muay Thai and CLF techniques
    6 x 4 min circuits including 3 punch bag stations and 3 exercise stations.

Continued in Newcastle:

30 mins of kick drills - basic to advanced (advanced being jump kicks)
    30 mins CLF punch techniques (gwa choys, chap choys, pows and kups)

Dragon dance team got underway.
    Lion dance training.
    More Dragon.
    Forms.

It seems I will be performing a double broadsword form, but I'm having to highly modify it seeing as it is a loooooooong form and I have knee issues which means bending is a concern, particularly with dropped stances...

9. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

use one of the swords to chop off your leg, replace it with another sword, and do a triple broadsword form :D

10. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Something to consider is going to your doctor for a referral to a surgeon and asking for choose and book. This option will allow you to go thorough a list of facilities and pick one that suits your time schedule etc. When I blew my knee last year playing rugby I did this. I saw the surgeon at a BMI private facility and they ordered a MRI scan (done in a day or so).

If you don't really like the idea of using the NHS services a private MRI scan can be ordered for as little as about £250 depending on what's available locally. In London there is a facility near the train station that always has discounted prices for scan 7 days a week.

You've had a heck of a lot of physio on that knee... did anyone come up with a diagnosis or was it all about general strength/range etc?

FWIW

LFD

11. Chimpcheng

I should have qualified the "6 months" of physio.

It was a couple of months of half hour sessions where they took me through various exercises (most of it seemed to be variations of squats or knee bends). I would go away do these exercises daily, and then return in a few weeks for assessment.

During the first few consults I was told that some muscle near my knee wasn't "firing" and another was compensating but at the further detriment to the muscle that wasn't working properly. (I had sessions where I had that kinesiology tape attached).

However, I wasn't convinced about the muscle theory, as I didn't think that adequately explained the crepitus (crunchy grating thingy). The x-ray at the hospital revealed a perfectly normal knee, as did the other tests they did, which mostly consisted as hitting my knee with things...

Like I said, currently I'm in a "good" period, I can walk, I can jog(ish), I can spar(ish - I sometimes feel as if my upper leg is going to roll over my knee when I'm having to do hard stops, if that makes sense), but I can't do low kung fu stances any more or hack going through long forms.

I will certainly look into the MRI under private healthcare, I believe there is a private hospital not far from where I live. Someone else who has recently started training with us also had a blown knee, he had to push and fight to get an MRI, and, as it turned out, he did have knee damage (I forgot what).

12. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Just in the "for what it's worth" category, please get the MRI my friend. Knees, neck, back, all issues as we get older. No need to push dodgy knee that can be fixed now into an arthritic joint or worse.