Children in the Dojo

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by hardball, Apr 21, 2012.

1. hardball

hardball Valued Member

This thread is for all you Sensei's out in MAP. At what age do you teach chokes to your students who are children? I've asked my Mentors about this one thus I'm pretty set on the topic. I just wanted to hear opinions from other martial arts teachers.

Thanks in advance

2. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Going by Judo standards (at least where I am), chokes aren't taught until the age of sixteen, give or take. If you do plan to teach chokes, you'll want to take the necessary safety precautions, and make sure the children have the maturity to not abuse what they have learned (I've seen it happen before).

3. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

16 plus .....

Smurf

4. hardball

hardball Valued Member

F.Y.I., I have nice armed and legged grappling dummies. Oh and they have a short little neck too.

5. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I think his point is they don't have to practice on each other ?

Which of course misses out on the feedback you get from a real partner and as a result the experience you gain from doing it correctly.

It also ignores the issues of responsibility.

7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

My son is ten, and he's learned a few chokes in his class.
    The teacher makes a big deal about tapping; maybe that's the answer? Maybe if you heavily emphasize tapping, then you can teach them younger?

8. hardball

hardball Valued Member

As usual you have very good feedback. Thanks for being a productive member of the forum.

9. hardball

hardball Valued Member

I think a lot depends on the kid. Hopefully he/she is not bully prone. I've taught chokes to 10 year olds and emphasized they are only to be used in emergency self defense situations. My mentors regularly teach chokes to 10 year olds.

10. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

We teach chokes and locks to under 16's, but only to demonstrate the technique for grading. (Judo)

They are strickly forbiden to use them outside of these parameters till the age of 14 or so when they move up to the senior class.

When they move up they are permitted to use locks and chokes in randori if paired with a adult, but the adult must only use hold downs