Chi

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Mabinogi, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Mabinogi

Mabinogi New Member

Ok I'm pretty new to the actual practice of cultivating chi and whatnot, but i've read a fair bit about it, and to me it seems as though it's one of the main, if not the main aspect of being healthy, developing power, generally being in balance...

So I've tried meditating to start to feel the flow of it, breathing into the dan tien and all that, but because I don't have a teacher yet, i'm not sure if i'm doing it right. (and I am looking to get a teacher so don't panic, I'm hoping to find one before I damage myself) My concern is that what I'm feeling is not chi but either imaginary, just air around me or anything else, because I've also read that it happens enough.
    Basically I can feel the blood pumping around my body, mainly in the hands area, least so in the back and legs area, and my skin tingles and I seem to be more aware of slight itches everywhere when I do it, although I thought maybe I only notice more because i'm trying, and they're always there. But then I thought if everyone has chi whether they try to cultivate it or not, then it is actually a sign of chi.
    The main thing which is giving me hope that I'm doing it right is when I slowly bring my hands close together, I can feel quite clearly a magnetic force between them, but again I thought that could be something else, like tendons in the arms or something giving the impression.

Any insight would be great :D

2. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi,

I think you are doing fine - you are questioning what you are feeling - since NOBODY can even prove that there is a thing called 'Chi' (in the sense of an energy that you can move) then the feelings that you are feeling would seem to show that you are listening to your body. That's a big part of what Tai Chi, Chi Gung, etc... are all about.

Yes, you should find a teacher but even then, keep on asking questions.

All the best.

Robert.

3. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

The qi really doesn't feel vague or mysterious once you start to feel it clearly. It feels kind of like lines running along the space between your skin and muscles, almost like tendons or long ropes connecting your finger to your hand, your hand to your arm, your arm to your shoulder, your shoulder to your neck, your neck to your head, etc. The sensation of it moving is sort of like a rush of blood or a tingling, throbbing feeling. Depending on where it's moving, it may also feel almost like the breath is moving through the body. Don't worry about trying to feel the qi. This only creates illusions (am I feeling something? I think I feel something, but it could just be my imagination)--the worst enemy of qigong practice. Just do qigong exercises on a regular basis and you'll gradually start to feel and recognize the qi and its movement.