Chi not confined to martial artists?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by CFT, Nov 25, 2003.

1. CFT

CFT Valued Member

For those of you in the States you may have missed the fuss about England winning the Rugby Football Union World Cup in Australia. By the way, USA did have a team but were knocked out in the early stages of the competition.

The hero of the moment was an English player called Jonny Wilkinson who scored a drop goal in the last 30 seconds of extra time.

Now we get to the interesting (for me!) bit ..... I was reading a Sunday newspaper when I came across a piece about his famed (ball) kicking technique. He has a unique posture before he takes the kick where he holds his hands together in front of his chest, almost like praying but with his hands horizontal and further away from his chest:

"The hands, he said, are like a barrier erected against the outside world, helping him to cut out the tens of thousands of opposing fans who are likely to set up a barrage of whistles and jeers in an attempt to disturb his intense concentration. "As I got more into kicking," he said, "I became more involved in looking at other aspects, and one area I looked at was focusing from the inside, slowing down the breathing, relaxation, 'centring', which is a way of channeling my power and energy from my core, just behind my navel, down my left leg and into my left foot to get that explosive power. When I was doing this, the position with the hands happened to be the one I adopted. Look at pictures from 1998, and you will see my hands are further apart. Each year they have gradually got closer. For whatever reason, it has become a very strong position for me."

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/rugbywo...1089077,00.html

Does this sound like Chi to you or merely visualisation/focussing techniques? Maybe that's all we're trying to do in MA.

The description just really struck home with me ... dantien and chi, and all that. I'm only a beginner in Wing Chun so I haven't experienced it for myself. Does what he describe come close to your experiences?

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

It looks like merely visualisation/focussing techniques.

3. OLDLilBunnyRabbit

OLDLilBunnyRabbit New Member

Given that I believe chi is visualisation/focussing techniques, I fail to see the difference.

4. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

And in my personal definition, "chi" is life energy. Therefore, the act of walking, running, kicking, breathing, focusing, visualizing, breathing, talking, punching, etc. all involves the use of "chi" to accomplish.

Mike

5. zun

zun New Member

It's likely to be an anchor.

Just as music is likely to trigger certain memories, so is a certain pose can train the body to trigger certain memories - in this case to accurately kick a ball.

You'll note the expression of David Beckham, his fist held close to his hip and his eyes gazed into a far before taking a penalty. This is his personal anchor.

Chi on the other hand relates to breathing and control of energy.

I'd say Johnno's inadvertantly discovered Chi.

6. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

i think that it could be ci

But i define chi as alot of things. It's more about transfering normal thermal/Kenetic energy to me alongwith gravity and force etc. SO it could well be.

which ties in wth what he was aying it sounded like the dan tien. But the dan tien is roughly ur center of gravity.It could be just a better posture that works for him becasue of this.

Who knows.

7. johndoch

johndoch upurs

NEWSFLASH!!!!!!

Breaking Rugby World Cup News

> > It is alleged that one of the English rugby players failed a drugs
    > > test yesterday. If positive, under World Rugby Federation rules,
    > > para 6 sub section 2e, England will forfeit the rugby world cup and
    > > Australia will retain the crown.
    > >
    > >

> > Carlsberg don't make forum posts but if they did this would probably be
    > > the
    > best
    > > forum post in the world.
    :D

Last edited: Nov 26, 2003
  8. zun

zun New Member

LOL! That nearly had me - until I scrolled down. Nice try. More drop goals needed :D

9. OLDLilBunnyRabbit

OLDLilBunnyRabbit New Member

Johndoch, just lean over here a moment, I need to batter your head in with a crowbar.

Gah! You had me worried for a moment.

10. KungFuGrrrl

KungFuGrrrl Valued Member

sounds like chi to me

11. johndoch

johndoch upurs

:p :D

I grudgingly have to admit England deserved the win;)

12. zun

zun New Member

Grudginly? How much to make you happily agree?! :)

13. shunyadragon

shunyadragon New Member

Chi or Qi is simply energy. Every thing in the universe and beyond has Qi has energy, physical emotional, intelectual and spiritual energy. The purpose of Qigong and the Arts of the Way (Martial Arts) is acquire Gung Fu (skills and knowledge) to manage, balance, harmonize and maximize Qi is to realize all Qi is simply Qi to Qi. Oh! And also become one with existence and become enlightened which means nothing.