Chi Kung

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Radok, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Darren

Darren Valued Member

In the short to medium term, I feel healthy and relaxed (especially just after practicing). I'm working towards long term goals though, with more of a martial arts nature.

2. Smgkf_JJ

Smgkf_JJ New Member

yeah, cool sounds gud.

3. pandajelly

pandajelly New Member

Chi = Breath or Energy
    Gung = Work

There for , Chi Gung = Energy Work.
    The purpose of ChiGung is not physical exercise or Calistechic ( even if appears so)

That said, ChiGung develops Chi via external movements, whereas NeiGung develops Chi through silent sitting meditation.

Nei= Inside/Internal
    Hence NeiGung = Internal Work

4. Kat

Kat Valued Member

PJ
    Don't take this offensively(allthough I think you will) but the interpretations/translations I understand are a bit different.

Neigong:doesn't only refer to sitting meditation(zuochan)but to any meditation.

Waigong: is the external active side of exerise.You can even use it to refer to choping down a tree(example).

Qigong:refers to energy work as said but can be derived from both Waijia or Neijia.
    (Spelling using standard Pinyin)

It is wrong to think that Qi can only be generated or moved by doing Qigong.As long as you are living (and to a point in death) Qi is circulating via Shen(Body, mind, spirit) and Yi(intention).In short if you breathe you have Qi.
    Just a different perspective.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2004
  5. Smgkf_JJ

Smgkf_JJ New Member

i would so like to develop lots of Qi... lol, ive just taken up tai chi, so im hoping that will help.....as well as relaxing me more of course..

6. StorDuff

StorDuff adamantium

We do some Chi Kung in karate. At the first of the month we do three circles position for 30 minutes, and I notice that my feet get very hot and legs shake when it's over. It's gotten better as of late (the shaking) so I think I am building up strength, but this is the only problem I have had with it so far. I recently got glasses and was told at karate to do an eye chi kung which involves rolling them with eyelids shut in a certain direction...I have the specifics in an email. I've been kind of scared to do so, because I hear from one group that it's dangerous, and another that it's almost completely harmless.

We also do some iron shirt training, which seems to me to be very similar to the three circles position.

7. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

With qigong, you get the best results with steady, diligent practice that never taxes you too hard. I would be wary of the eye qigong, and the iron shirt, but if you were to practice the standing gong for 10 minutes a day, you would be amazed at the results.

8. jimmytofu

jimmytofu A majority of one

I've been doing Chi Gung weekly for about 8 months as part of a Tai Chi lesson. I find it very enjoyable. Recently I've been seeing pulsing on my eyelids and occasionally I get a prickling sensation on my forearms (whilst performing Chi Gung).
    Does anybody experience similar?

Oh, I can also 'feel' Chi between my hands, but this could just be my wishful thinking!

9. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Jimmytofu - don't worry, you're not going mad.

Check out my thread from a few months ago - "how to feel chi" - it's the same sensation you've described.

The tingling/prickling sensations are natural. Don't let them distract you and make sure you're settled correctly into the posture so they don't get uncomfortable. It's all part of the exercise. Other things to look out for are sweating palms, 'magnetic' sensations in your hands, tingling, feeling the blood heating/flowing in your body, electric-type feelings down your limbs, warm/liquid feeling of the air, etc.

10. jimmytofu

jimmytofu A majority of one

Thanks nzric.

One of my friends is a biology teacher and likes to attibute the Chi feeling to the nature of the moves. This may be true in a small part, but the other sensations are really encouraging.

11. Stone

Stone New Member

Could you explain what the "three circle position" is please :confused: :confused: :confused:

12. gerard

gerard Valued Member

Which is very understandable. It's common for those who believe existence is just limited by the feelings you get from your senses and thought.

I like to observe and see how the following works in practice:

"The blind lead the blind. Let it be for many, many lifetimes until some start to awaken and realise about how blind they were."

Gan bei.