Chi/Ki - the good, the bad, the ugly...

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by embra, Apr 10, 2011.

1. embra

embra Valued Member

... and the waffle-todge.

... and just maybe something sensible on the subject - WITH EVIDENCE that is coherrent.

Given the amount of thread drift, waffle and other sundry tosh building up particularly in Aikido threads but also in a few others e.g.TaiChi and maybe Kuk Sool (not my cuppa, but the same mystical vines seem to be growing there as well); a thread specially devoted to the subject.

The chances of anything useful being posted here are not high, but the offer is there.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  2. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

I require alot of Ki when I enter the restroom. If I do not have enough I wont be able to defeat the constipated demons that have plagued me for weeks.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

4. Hannibal

Did you have your big toes turned up at the time?

5. embra

embra Valued Member

Given that 3 Aikido threads have been locked down, ki-mongous waffle will most likely make its way under the door inside here instead.

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Same here. A lot of serious breathing needed to assist.

Then again, for those who enter immediately after I left, they need a lot of Chi-Ki breathing as well.

7. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

If you want to understand chi/ki I would suggest looking at the higher teachings in Sufism,Taoism,Hinduism and Buddhism as that is where martial artists got the teachings from.They were designed to merge man and God into one rather than create a superman with a big ego.

8. Hannibal

So would you care to enlighten as as to what YOU perceive KCQ (Ki/Chi/Qi) to be then?

Is it energy? Is it perception? Is it myth? It it misunderstood?

The problem is that as often as not the "you are not wise enough to grasp the essence" excuse pops its unwelcome head up when there is no basis or reason for belief in something.

If KCQ is out there within a martial context then show us. My hypothesis is that it is practiced moves done well and nothing more

9. rivend

rivend Valued Member

I really believe there is something to this and if you read this article closely it relates to what I am trying to say about the understanding and the definition of Qi.In the search for this being fact or fiction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurasthenia

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  10. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

to me, there's nothing mystical about it. it's just about posture, center, leverage. everything else is bunk.

11. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

Well I would certainly say it is misunderstood.People tend to expect far too much from qigong practice.I have found the practice maintains good health and keeps the mind calm.Surley this is part of martial arts practice as being in bad health and walking around full of tension and anxiety will lead to a pretty unhappy life.

People tend to forget that these practices orginated in the East and don't fit in that well with Western logic.Unless you have a basic understanding of Taoist philosophy it is almost impossible to make sense of qigong texts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIy9_VeUcpc&feature=player_embedded#at=309

Everything on that clip is physical.My teacher trained with him for several years and got most of his push hands skills from him but its all to do with highly refined movement rather than qi.Often people say it is qi so they attract new students.Breaking bricks and other such objects has got nothing to do with qigong either and neither has fighting in MMA.If you want to be a better fighter then get fitter,lift heavy weights and take anabolic steroids.

One good example of where qigong skills might be of use in a martial arts context is in perception of the immediate environment.Micheal Flatley of Riverdance fame said he always knew where his principal dancer was as he could feel her energy.So you could say that qi will help extend the perimeter of your perception which is a useful skill in the context of self protection.

12. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

ah, that's it. it's not the thousands of hours practicing his routine, it's ki!

13. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

Well it is chi,just a natural development from the thousand of hours of practicing his routine.Same with practicing tai chi.The awareness and development of chi is a byproduct of the training rather than the training.

14. 47MartialMan

This is a poor way to state that occidentals do not understand.

Much of Asia still hasn't caught up with modern times and still practice and follow folklore

15. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

A lot of texts on qigong were designed to be misleading so outsiders wouldn't be able to make any real sense of them.They are just as confusing to the average Chinese as they are to Westerners.You have to find someone who really knows these texts and can explain what the symbols mean.The process itself is very simple but also very precise with stages that can be tested objectively.

16. proteinnerd

proteinnerd Valued Member

Hapkido teaches that ki is adrenaline, learning to control your ki is learning how to control adrenaline dumps or to be able to secrete it into the system when needed for extra strength, pain resistance etc it's the best non mystical explanation I've heard.

17. 47MartialMan

I'm sorry, this seems like another way to hang it into a belief unsecured by common sense and science.

18. Hannibal

Unmitigated tripe

If they are that confusing and open to interpretation they have no more intrinsic value than "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"

19. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

They aren't intended to have any value to outsiders.

20. Hannibal

Then they have no value period - humanity is not diverse by intrinsic nature, merely by dogma and conditioning.