chi is biomagnetism!!

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by God, Dec 16, 2003.

1. God

God New Member

David, I know more about chi than about biomagnetism as it is. When did I say I wasn't going to? One thing I find extremely consistent throughout this forum is the affinity for buzzwords...it seems as soon as I said "research" your mind said "RESEARCH!? YOUNG FOOL, LEARN THE ANCIENT WAYS NOW, RESEARCH LATER!" and turned your mind off to all possibilities...

Syd...
    ironic isn't it? Please note the lack of explanation in my initial posts... I wouldn't want someone with the flu giving me a flu shot...that was indeed your own medicine. Don't claim immunity.

Nzric...
    I wouldn't call men running around with magnets to see if they grow 2 heads conclusive research. In situations like this, citation is often proper, and at least some qualification of the word "conclusive" is pretty damn necessary.

2. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

So .... how are you saying chi is related to magnetism??

Chi can be felt
    Chi flows are variable throughout the body
    Chi is beneficial to health
    You can develop and control chi

Magnets... ?

Seems you just heard the word 'biomagnetism' somewhere, thought it's catchy and thought "hey, maybe that's chi".

We appreciate your enthusiasm, but next time it may be an idea to post your Eureka moment AFTER you've done a little research.

3. God

God New Member

i've never heard the term you wiseass.

this post was a joke.

next time, get a clue before you baselessly attack someone and try to defend yourself.

i've explained what i've conceptualized already in this thread, i'm not going to repeat myself for you, especially under such juvenile duress.

4. nzric

Don't need to defend myself, got nothing to defend. I was just making light of your absurd idea (obviously what you wanted people to do because as you said, "this post is a joke").

Seems I'm on your side all along.

Good luck with your research. We'd all be keen to know what you uncover.

5. God

God New Member

i was expecting lots of these--:D

of course it's only absurd if you have such a myopic view of qi that you can't comprehend it as being anything but an actual, physical, detectable mass that physically flows and circulates just as water does throughout the body.

like i said before...and unlike i said i wouldn't say what i said before again, i am saying it again...

qi could probably be described as a "tent" term. it encompasses a number of biological ideas, probably including certain aspects of blood circulation, the respiratory system and nervous system.

in addition, it also probably covers inexplicable phenomena... maybe one of those phenomena could possibly be an induced current that occurs as the blood flows around the capillaries...this circular motion, since it occurs quickly, COULD induce nervous reactions.

of course, that's to assume the iron content in the blood is strong enough for it to effectively make the blood magnetic, that the capillaries are circular enough to induce a current, that the pumping of the blood occurs fast enough to generate a tingling sensation, and a bunch of other things which can obviously be found in books. i might have to do a little bit of "putting 2 and 2 together"...and maybe even set up an actual experiment.

another sensation could be just the reaction blood has to magnetism. this is way more likely. if you can recall that psycho who insisted that you could have eternal life by wearing his magnetic clips...everything he said seemed very believable (well, of course exagerrated)...he even claimed he felt sick when he reversed the poles of the magnets...

the magnets were applied to the extremities and were very powerful. their fields were extremely coordinate to that of the direction of the capillary action.

blood with iron content in the low %'s..you know, like 1%...being pumped as strongly as the heart pumps will obviously not make the magnet move around your arm. but of course, something so sensitive would require precise measurements and actual NUMBERS to determine if magnetic fields have a meaningful effect on blood flow.

6. nzric

I bet you believe in astrology too. Same principle - you know, but with gravity (no, the other kind of gravity. This thread is still a joke).

7. God

God New Member

are you a troll or an imbecile?

8. nzric

No, I thought you were the troll.

You said yourself, this thread was started as a joke, so we've been treating it like a joke. But then you defend your position, but only up to a point because you say you need to do more research.

We've got a couple of options:

We treat this thread like a joke, and we don't take each other seriously (you seem to be taking this all very seriously). I've only been stating my own opinion, as is everyone else, and since you said this is a joke thread, I've made some jokes of my own.

Or you go and do some research, then you come back with evidence and we can have a serious discussion about your theory in another thread. As long as you're open to constructive criticism.

I'm happy either way. It doesn't help to get offended and call everyone names. And for the record, I think chi is just good body mechanics (as I've said in hundreds of other posts) - I don't think it's a real force.

Moral - don't expect to be taken seriously in a thread that you say yourself is a joke.

9. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

God ... the name is ironic yes!

10. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

I like this thread, safe in the knowledge that God loves me. (I think God is something to do with magnets but that's another story!)

It would be a misunderstanding of chi to call it an idea that encompasses other component ideas. Chi is precisely that which should not be broken down into components.

The ease with which you get wound-up is a joy to observe :D. I'd say your research credentials are on a good trajectory with the impetus resulting from your new persecution complex. I knew my faith in you would bear fruit.

nzric, regarding the 10Hz cycles, I don't think I sourced it from alpha wave studies but I still don't remember anything. I'll go to my bookshelf and see what it has for me. Ye gads! I think I have it... but it's a book I leant to my father some years ago; the one he thought was a gift because he was convalescing after an injury...

Rgds,
    David

11. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Love the post pretentious web site for anti (read for really trying hard to be oblique and underground) establishment non music, music website.

Got three words for ya bub... silence is golden!

(For those wondering, check Dogs profile for web addy)

12. Shade

Shade New Member

I must be getting old maybe.

I checked out God's site and didnt really understand any of it.

13. God

God New Member

at what point did the post necessarily become the embodiment of my thoughts on the subject?

when i said joke, sorry for the confusion, i was defending the starting of this thread. OF COURSE i'm not going to pretend that my little speculation is the truth, much less without any evidence...that was intended to be funny. i would have laughed, but i guess i have a stupid sense of humour.

david - no, you misunderstand me, again.

i know chi as it is describes one phenomenon but it could actually be multiple separate phenomena.

that website would again be the result of my friends and my own sense of humour.

but wouldn't it be really nice and convenient for you if we really were trying to turn the music world on its ear and lead a revolution of avant garde musicians?

i wouldn't say that you wouldn't get it, but.....you just wouldn't get it.:p

14. zun

zun New Member

LOL! This is so funny. Somewhere along the lines you guys got cross-lined.

Peace. :D

15. nzric

Is there an award for "most surreal thread"? I think we've all been standing too close to some iron filings (joke dude)

Dog - Your site rocks the Casbah. Asa lama lakim boyeeee

David - I've been looking for anything about how sound waves/harmonics influence the human body. Strange topic but I've found some good stuff. Anything else you can suggest would be great.

16. God

God New Member

I must be too uptight...I would have gotten offended by that joke if you hadn't said anything...

I give up.

17. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Ah, you were talking about cheese, all along! I'm with ya, now :)

Here's a link which takes the strangeness to strange lands. Binarual beats for mind expansion...

Here's a funny thing I remember: -

When I was a teenager I got hold of some info on strobe effects and seizures which I thought sounded like somethign I should have a go at! I wrote a program to flash the screen at me with controls for faster and slower. I didn't want my parents to know what I was doing so I waited until they went out before trying it.

I remember being nervous but overcame that by taking as many precautions as I could think of for if I lost control. I moved things out of the way, got down onto the floor and used loads of cushions and bedding to pad everything around me. Then I ran the program.

...Damn thing was useless: the computer was not up to running my BASIC program fast enough and there were problems with the frames per second that the screen could manage. Now, I consider it fortunate that I didn't know machine code at the time :D.

Rgds,
    David

18. nzric

Haha, let me know if that works!

Reminds me of how my younger brother and his friends used to lie down and hyperventilate, then stand up quickly to make themselves faint. Always got them out of gym class.

19. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Reminds me of those Japanese Manga programs that had Japanese kids having seizures and going psycho due to subliminal messages and the like.

Sound is another one of those tasty little devices used in Psy-ops and psychological warfare in order to induce instant vomiting and the emptying of bowels on the spot.

20. nzric

I heard there's a new riot control weapon that uses microwaves - it makes you feel like you're skin is burning but it causes no real damage.

Do you think it would be possible to induce other behaviour if the sound was used in a low level?

I'm trying to figure out if you could use these weapons (sound and microwaves) on large groups of people without them knowing there was an external cause (e.g. to induce rage/panic). What do you think?

(btw - I hope the training went well today. I went to the gym then did tai chi on a great hilltop on Macquarie's point, but I promised the g-f I'd spend the rest of the day with her, since she's going to nz. Hope to catch up with you and A soon.)