Chi blast through Jalapeno's

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by aaradia, Aug 30, 2016.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Ok, most of the time I am good at following my school's teachings to not speak out negatively against other schools or styles.

But SERIOUSLY?

I don't know whether to laugh :D or cry:cry:- perhaps both.

My understanding is that this is not intended as a spoof of chi, but meant as a real demonstration of blasting someone to move back with chi energy- transferred through jalapeno's.

Yes, you read that right. I am just flabbergasted. Just when I thought I have seen everything on the subject.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH1PQW4FuP0"]Tai Chi Master sends his Chi power through a Jalapeno - YouTube[/ame]

2. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Wimps. Real masters use Carolina Reapers.

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Every word that I have said in the following is truth but only the truth.

There was a Chi master from Los Angeles. who was going to have Chi workshop in Austin, Texas. I talked to his Austin mid-person that if he could use his Chi to move me without contact, I would paid him $10,000. If he fails, he would have to pay me $10,000. He canceled his Austin trip. He then charged his Austin believers $450 each so he could send his Chi through the telephone wire instead. He would call you from Los Angeles. You picked up your phone in Austin, Texas. His Chi would be sent through "2,000 miles telephone wire" and entered into your body. That was more than 30 years ago. Today, he may be able to send his Chi by using his cell phone through the "2,000 miles of the thin air" instead.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Wow, the sad thing is, I bet people actually paid for that.

5. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

That is so fascinating to watch. I found myself really wondering what on earth the 'master' must be thinking as he sits there chanelling his chi power... is there any self awareness there at all?

Where is Avenger when you need him/her?

6. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I remember seeing this posted on FB a couple of years ago. The guy is a nutjob, and his followers definately have a cultish mentality about them.

7. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

If he can't do a kamehameha wave......He ain't no qi master :D

[​IMG]

EmptyHandGuy likes this.
  8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

None at all - most genuinely believe this tripe I have found

1:30 for the good stuff....

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMmpgVYCyno"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMmpgVYCyno[/ame]

And the evergreen...err...everyellow classic

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhnvETs4F6Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhnvETs4F6Q[/ame]

Sitting out a temp ban..... but they will be back to "enlighten" us I am quite sure

9. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Well, I see no reason a person couldn't push another person "through" a pepper. (As long as the pepper is fairly firm).Or a potato_Or a tomato_Or an orange.

Don't see any point beyond the laugh factor,tho'.Could have something to do with the Monty Python self defense techniques against grapes,bananas,etc.

Kids! If you try this at home,remember to wash thy hands afore using the water closet!!!

10. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

For 3 easy payments of $79.95…

11. 23rdwave

23rdwave Valued Member

Is this a serious demonstration? No, they are goofing off.

Your understanding? Seriously lacking a sense of humor.

That being said, let's see you on camera with Adam Mizner. That would be funny. Posting a joke video and claiming that the people on camera are typical of ima stylists is the real joke.

12. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I'm curious where people think is the demonstration of Chi.

I see minimum force issued by means of what I used call joint power, but it really is what happens between the joints, so it isn't the joint creating the power. Whether this is fa jin is a matter for the "experts". In any case, the power comes from inside so it is not really visible to the naked eye. Everyone can do it to some degree. I associate it with the heavy hand we develop from that snap in boxing (the point of relaxation through the strike that provides that extra knock out force). It also is popular in pressure point striking (another controversial topic), where the "lighter" the hit the more effective it can be. It is really the directing of this power into a small area that makes it effective, IME.

So is this issuing of minimum force generated internally (hidden from the naked eye) what people consider a demonstration of Chi?

Or is it the connection between issuer and recipient that is a demonstration of Chi? This connection, IMHO, is as much trickery as actual skill. Say I tell you to relax and let go of everything. You begin to sink and depending where your mind is, you may begin to sway in a particular direction. The skill is to recognize and be sensitive to this sway. The trickery is that people do not usually realize that they are swaying so slightly.

Or is it the reaction from the recipient flying through the air that is a demonstration of Chi? To me this is as much social engineering as actual skill. Once the connection is made, then the energy can be transferred across the connection. To me this has a social engineering component that messes up demonstrations. For example, say I have you relax completely to the point that you start to fall asleep. We probably all know what is like to start to fall asleep during a boring lecture or reading one of my long posts (don't answer that :mad: ). There is this jolt to wake up when we feel that we are falling. I'm over simplifying the situation, but basically the body can be coaxed to overreact to a trigger. Reaction is normal, overreaction repeatedly can be developed through social engineering or even brainwashing.

Or am I just missing the point?

13. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

Taking the fruit out of the equation, I found this Mizner video and not much is different sans fruit (yes folks it's true the mighty jalapeno is a vegetable-like fruit).

Mizner is the guy in the grey shirt in the OP (not the red), same guy as in this video below doing fist set, and clearly they believe in chi blasts via fa jin to the point where a single subtle motion will send someone else flying through the air, defying the laws of physics (and physics isn't my strong point but I can still notice when people are faking it).

Now you can always claim this is 'just a demo', and the fruit demo is also 'just a demo', but here's the real question: is there a single video of Adam Mizner showing actual Tai Chi fa jin skill in sparring, competition, or anything unscripted? I can't find any, so until I do, this guy is no 'master' in my book, just another guy playing into Kill Bill fantasies (as you can tell by his music choice, Nancy Sinatra's cover of Cher's 1966 classic).

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nq0X9O7ryo"]Yang Shao-Hou Taiji - Shifu Adam Mizner - YouTube[/ame]

This second video is a full length interview with Mr. Mizner, so the Tai Chi folks here can probably watch this and comment. Here's my take: this guy appears to know a lot of Qi Gong and Tai Chi esoterica and makes some sense, but he's also well off the deep end with respect to what powers he's actually obtained through practice. He is eloquent, thoughtful, and even when describing martial aspects of Tai Chi, he seems to get it right in theory...and then says some weird things or does these 'chi stomp' type videos that instead suggest he has very little hand to hand combat experience, and just a lot of evidence of him claiming to push power over with no effort (yet anyone could make the same exact kind of video, how would you tell who the real master was???) This kind of person might make a decent teacher of Tai Chi principles, but as far as actual fa jin skill applied to fighting...not much here.

If we had archetypes of "Tai Chi gurus" I think Mr. Mizner falls into the category of "Cool Tai Chi Teacher, I'd Hang With Him" (I want his jacket!) as opposed to "Tai Chi Master Killer, He Can Train Me to Blast My Chi". :D

I'm sorry for being incredibly silly, but so are his videos.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhTVYBYafTA"]Interview with Adam Mizner - YouTube[/ame]

14. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Some people pretend to channel qi yet work on proper mechanics until they’re blue in the face. Either you use life force - whatever the heck that is - or physics. You pick. And don’t come pretending they’re one and the same, either.

15. The Iron Fist

Well everything in the observable universe can be described with physics, including all the mechanics of life, but what I think loses me with these videos is again, what do they really show evidence of?

If you can easily reproduce the video yourself, then the video is evidence of nothing.

Who here couldn't reproduce both the pepper video? Or any video where you flinch and send somebody flying? How are these videos any different from the most infamous example:

What difference does it really make if you're subtly pushing, or not even touching? Anybody can stage a video like this. So, the scientific approach is a controlled, non-compliant, unscripted environment with an opponent who has no interest in allowing you to 'fa jin' him. When you do that, the result is this unscripted video:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I"]Kiai Master vs MMA - YouTube[/ame]

I won't lie I have a slight bias, people have claimed to be able to 'fa jin' me, and can't budge me at all. Yet I've been thrown over my head by Judoka with amazingly compact explosive power. So I think I can recognize real 'fa jin' when I see it, or feel it. Pushing someone with fruit, or knocking someone ten feet by barely moving, is not it. When I watch Tai Chi guys rolling around with Judoka and Jiujitsu folks, that's where the real fa jin of the Nei jia classics can be seen. Just my opinion of course.

16. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Mizner seems to understand some pressure point striking that COULD be useful in a combat situation.

17. The Iron Fist

Yeah that's the sense I got...a mixed bag. This happens whenever I see a supposed 'master' who does a lot more talking and demos, especially over the top ones...it's hard to tell if Jalapeno Jin is meant to be funny, serious, or both. So I'm left confused (which is not hard to do, but still).

It's hard to tell what he really could do in a fight. I would honestly love to see it, but the juxtaposition between "Fruit Ninja" and "Tai Chi Chuan Champion" really throws me. His Tai Chi form seems smooth and graceful, ok. He knows all the terminology of Tai Chi, great. But in the interview when the guy is asking him how it all works, he basically says (paraphrasing): "I push a little and someone else flies across the room". Sorry man, but no way is that how Tai Chi Chuan is really supposed to work except in movies. He's also asked if he just trains for power or health and gives a good answer ("If you want health, train for power"). So he claims to have the whole bag, health, martial skill, chi explosion...but like so many self-purported masters, there's zero evidence of it, and fruit ninja videos make things worse, in my opinion.

18. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

If you

- have fighting skill, you don't need to demonstrate Jalapeno Chi transfer.
    - don't have fighting skill, to demonstrate Jalapeno Chi transfer will not help you any.

Let's be honest to ourselves. If Chi really works in fighting, we should see it is used in both boxing ring and wrestling mat. Since to obtain Olympic gold metal is important for all countries, every countries should already have put their best Chi masters in the boxing ring and wrestling mat.

19. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Precisely.

20. 23rdwave

23rdwave Valued Member

I Li Chuan practitioner Lan Tran on Adam Mizner